Adityapatil_pune
Alchemind

Today, festivals in India are more money and glamour rather than culture and tradition

Adityapatil_pune

Con

India is a country with a vast diversity in religions. All kinds of people live here. Diversity in religion means a lot of festivals are celebrated here. This may seem interesting but there is a rumour that these festivals are all about money and no tradition today. This is not true because festivals are a part of tradition and the culture is a factor that keeps it alive. Although indians today think that festivals have no tradition left, they are wrong because the sole reason why we celebrate festivals is because our tradition is alive. No one forces us to spend money on the festivals but we are the ones who spend on them. It is up to us whether we want to celebrate it glamorously or humbly. If the festivals were celebrated solely for money, no one would have bothered to even carry out the events and rituals which are a part of the festival. But people still retain their culture and tradition and thus they celebrate the festivals.
Alchemind

Pro

I'll accept this argument on the basis that groups, organizations and Governments can spend their money how they want without the oversight of your moral repugnance.
Adityapatil_pune

Con

So, if you accept my debate, then put forth some valid points against me.
Alchemind

Pro

When considering this topic there is a debate on two levels that I bring up on the word "Should." Whatever-culture "should" not spend that much money on traditions, which I agree with, however I am in disagreement as far as financial freedom. You dont get to say what others can spend their money on.

Furthermore, I actually do accept at least some validity in the claim of spending money as some sort of psychological benefactor. I dont think that an extravagant amount of money should be spent on tradition on a fiscal sense, but if I am take the idea of their "catharsis" as ultimately beneficial, then one can see that if more money is spent on something the more meaningful a tradition is and the money spent, in this regard, helps the nation fulfill its sense of purpose. If a tradition is not fully funded than the tradition is not as important, and thus its beneficiality relies upon the impact of the celebration which may or may not serve the means to its end.
Adityapatil_pune

Con

As you say that a tradition loses its importance if it is not properly funded, it is not true because as long as the tradition is alive, we don't need to bother its importance because the community which follows that tradition always works to keep it alive. Take for example Thanksgiving celebration, where it is celebrated only among the family members and the only expenses are food and small decorations for the attending guests and even Christmas, where people only gift each other and go to the church for special service. Now, this doesn't reduce the importance of Christianity even though both those festivals are celebrated in a simple way without any huge celebrations and as far as 'catharsis' goes, the reason of celebrating the festival itself can bring about change in a person's attitude and thinking because festivals are at last celebrated to commemorate an event in a religion's history. So, I firmly believe that festivals in India are still lively in terms of culture and tradition and the 'money' factor is subjective, varying from person to person.

So, I rest my case here!!!!!!!
Alchemind

Pro

Why do men seek expensive wedding rings for their wives? Why are vast amounts of money spent on funerals? Why do some people have extravagant birthday parties? My opponent, indeed, has it right. You can have traditions without spending grand amounts of money. My point is merely the means to end and the value those put upon "celebration" not because they feel the need to spend large amount of money arbitrarily, but rather the money they spend that they feels equates its "purpose." You can a nice celebration on Thanksgiving without spending that much money, yet still money is spent on the food industry just about as equal to giving someone a Christmas or birthday present.

Its extremely interesting to me on how the human being places the value of money beyond its original intent, and that is to buy stuff that fills the requirment for an event having "spiritual validity." Since humans began their first rite-of-passage traditions they have constantly shown an internal measure that by which material = meaningful praise. I tend to believe someone has an internal "extravagance factor" in that which feels needed in some situations. Indeed, there is no better example than ones wedding, and yet many women will state "Spending alot of money on a wedding is silly." Nonetheless, all of these women (and men .... :P ) will go to some lengths to secure that amount of "Prestige."

If my opponent is completely right, which I honestly wouldn't mind as I tend to rarely celebrate even the most important holidays and tradition, if we take his words and put it into practice it would be an interesting case of causation that if money weren't spent, the capitalist appeal loses its grip upon the world and less social conscience may not arise from the bottom, but from the top where the continually bombardment of capitalistic re-enforcement takes place (unfortunately). There would be no reason for others to uphold their traditions, and I make this point acknowledging it is extremely shallow and truly wish we could forget our material bringing to what we feel is sacred.

Again, I'm not arguing "should", I am arguing "as it is." I thank my debating partner and I think we agree on more than we disagree.
Posted by nirbhay 4 years ago
nirbhay
hey aditya...have you ever been to north india....im from haryana...delhi ncr.....dude.....here the word FESTIVAL has its meaning changed....if u go to any high profile marriage , function or even a ring ceremony you will see that money does matter...and all the things we say about banning dowry....it runs shamelessly and openly during marriages....money is spent like water....the party who spends more money is supposed to have the upper hand in the marriage proceedings and rituals,....and sometimes through whole marriage...now come festivals.....we have lost forgotten the meaning of this word....earlier festivals used to be about get togethers happiness....smiles.....reunions.....now its just ....fat jewellery laden aunties....fat uncles....their gossips and stuff....the ceremonial value.....the traditional value....it really is losT....