Loserboi
studentathletechristian8

Tom Brady has been the best quarterback for the past decade of the NFL

Loserboi
Started: 2/4/2010 Category: Sports

Loserboi

Pro

Tom Brady is the New England Patriots starting quarterback.
This Debate will be judged from the past decade of the NFL so from 2000-2009 only

Tom Brady has been the best quarterback for the past decade of the NFL because of all that he has been able to accomplish in the NFL since his first start as a NFL quarterback.
____________________________________________________________________
Regular season achievements:
Tom Brady has led the New England Patriots to a 16-0 record the first Quarterback to ever do so in the NFL

He broke Peyton Manning's past record of 49 touchdowns in a season with 50 touchdowns

His Record in the regular season is 97w-30l

He has won the league MVP award in 2007
Post Season Success
Tom Brady post season success has exceeded any quarterback that has played in the past decade of the NFL.

Tom Brady has led his team to 4 out of the last 10 Superbowls and won 3 of them.

He has won the Superbowl MVP award twice

He set the record for most consecutive postseason wins with 10 beating the previous holder Bart Starr.

Most Career Superbowl Completions with 100

Most completions in a Superbowl with 32

My opponent might name a quarterback who has had better regular season statistics than Tom Brady but they won't be able to name a quarterback who has beaten his 50 touchdowns in a single season record or another player who has led a team to a 16-0 record.

Tom Brady's post season accomplishments have not even come close to being matched by any other quarterback in the NFL.

The quarterback is majority of the time the leader of the team and Tom Brady's leadership skills have been the best for the past decade and he has the 3 championship rings to prove it.

studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for opening this debate and the readers for another opportunity.

I would like to start off by noting that as The Instigator and Pro, my opponent has the Burden of Proof to show that Tom Brady is a better quarterback compared to every other quarterback in the NFL. If I am able to prove otherwise, then the resolution shall be negated. I will argue that Peyton Manning had been a better quarterback than Tom Brady for the past decade.

I shall begin by defining some terms:

Tom Brady- American football quarterback for the New England Patriots of the National Football League.

better- of superior quality or excellence.

quarterback- a back in football who usually lines up immediately behind the center and directs the offense of the team.

Peyton Manning- American football quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League.

Here are some one-on-one career stats:

PASSING:
PEYTON MANNING > TOM BRADY

PASS %: 64.4 > 63.0

PASSING YARDS: 45,628 > 26,446

YARDS PER GAME: 259.2 > 234.0

TOUCHDOWNS: 333 > 197

RATE: 94.7 > 92.9

RUSHING:
PEYTON MANNING > TOM BRADY

RUSHING YARDS: 717 > 533

AVERAGE: 2.3 > 1.9

RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS: 17 > 5

FUMBLES:
PEYTON MANNING > TOM BRADY

TOTAL FUMBLES: 52 < 65

LOST FUMBLES: 17 < 29

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Peyton Manning clearly has better statistics than Tom Brady.

Some more facts:

Peyton Manning: 9 time Pro Bowl selection Tom Brady: 4 time Pro Bowl selection

Manning: 4 time First-Team All-Pro Tom Brady: 1 time First-Team All-Pro

Manning holds NFL records for consecutive seasons with over 4,000 yards passing and the most total seasons with 4,000 or more yards passing in a career. Manning holds the highest career passer rating among active quarterbacks and his 94.7 rating puts him second all-time behind only Steve Young

Peyton Manning has more experience and leadership qualities than Tom Brady. He has been in the lead longer than Brady and possesses extreme leadership in choosing which plays to perform seconds before the ball is snapped during game play.

I have posted enough facts this round to adequately prove my point. Tom Brady is not a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. My opponent has the burden to try and prove otherwise. I heavily urge a Con vote.

Now onto my opponent's case:

"Tom Brady has led the New England Patriots to a 16-0 record the first Quarterback to ever do so in the NFL"
My opponent must realize that it was not only Tom Brady who made it to 16-0. It was the efforts of the entire team. This debate is focused solely on the better quarterback. Besides, Brady lost the Super Bowl that season.

"He broke Peyton Manning's past record of 49 touchdowns in a season with 50 touchdowns"
That does not make him a better quarterback than Manning. The trump of only one more thrown touchdown does not merit one to be a better quarterback than the other.

"His Record in the regular season is 97w-30l"
Once again, that is the team's record, based on the team's efforts. Not just the QB, which is what this debate is about.

"He has won the league MVP award in 2007"
Manning has also won the league's MVP award.

"Tom Brady post season success has exceeded any quarterback that has played in the past decade of the NFL."
Prove it. "Success" is quite relative and opinionated.

"Tom Brady has led his team to 4 out of the last 10 Superbowls and won 3 of them.

He has won the Superbowl MVP award twice"
Manning has a better win percentage in the Super Bowl. Once again, this debate is specifically about the quarterbacks. Brady may have led his team, but the Pats got to the Super Bowl due to a team effort. An award does not merit one to be better at a profession than someone else.

"He set the record for most consecutive postseason wins with 10 beating the previous holder Bart Starr.

Most completions in a Superbowl with 32"
Consecutive postseason wins? Most completions? Those do not necessarily make Brady a better quarterback than anyone else. Wins are based on the team's efforts, and completions are merely one aspect of a QB's quality.

"My opponent might name a quarterback who has had better regular season statistics than Tom Brady but they won't be able to name a quarterback who has beaten his 50 touchdowns in a single season record or another player who has led a team to a 16-0 record."
I have already proved this statement to be quite flawed.

"Tom Brady's post season accomplishments have not even come close to being matched by any other quarterback in the NFL."
You must look at a career, not just the postseason. Sorry, buddy.

This is completely opinionated. Brady and Manning both have high levels of leadership skills. Manning also has a ring.

I have proved Manning to be a better quarterback than Tom Brady. I heavily urge a Con vote. Thank you.

1) http://www.nfl.com...
2) http://www.nfl.com...
3) http://en.wikipedia.org...
4) http://en.wikipedia.org...
Loserboi

Pro

I am glad you responded in time I was almost going to jump for joy the minute if you forfeited.

Ok yes I will not disagree with my opponent Peyton Manning is an excellent quarterback and he has trumped Tom Brady in every statistical category in the regular season.

I will now argue some of the points that my opponent has pointed out.
My opponent says that winning games is entirely a team effort well... that is true, but its also true that a quarterback's entire statistical success is based on how good his team is, and how good the support is. If a player does not have the support of a good team than they will not be as successful as the guy who has the most tools. Ok, lets put it this way, if you give a person brand new tools to build a house and another person rusty tools to build a house it's almost for certain that the man with the brand new tools would be able to build a better, more stable home. My example does contain some relevance to my argument.

A quarterback gets good statistics if his offense is good meaning help from the Wide Receivers, the Runningback the Tight Ends all are weapons that a quarterback uses when throwing the football. Comparing Tom Brady and Peyton Manning its no surprise that Peyton Manning would have better statistics because his offense was filled with young talent from the time he entered the NFL. Peyton Manning was blessed with being able to play with great players.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Peyton Manning's supporting cast
Wide Receivers
-Marvin Harrison-8x pro bowler
-Reggie Wayne-4x Pro Bowler
Tight End
-Dallas Clark 1x pro bowler
-Ken Dilger 1x pro bowler
Running backs
-Edgerrin James-4x Pro Bowler
-Joseph Addai- 1x pro bowler
Side note: Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison were selected to the 2000's NFL All Decade Team

NFL All Decade Team-is composed of outstanding performers in the National Football League in the ten years span Only a player or coach's performance in the 2000's is used as criteria for voting.

Tom Brady most of his career has been grouped up with no name receivers and never having a permanent runningback like
Wide Receivers:
-Deion Branch (after leaving the patriots have not found any success in the NFL)
-Troy Brown
Tight End:
-Daniel Graham
-Jermaine Wiggins
Runningbacks
-Antowain Smith
-Lawrence Maroney
-Kevin Faulk
-Corey Dillon when he past his prime years in New York

Only Troy Brown and Corey Dillon have made the pro bowl and only one year too on this offense that Tom Brady has had the pleasure of working with.

Give Tom Brady the tools (Randy Moss a long time superstar receiver) he goes and throws 50 touchdowns and goes undefeated.

From this evidence it no surprise that Peyton Manning would have better statistics in the regular season he carries all the guns and Tom Brady is trying to fight with a steak knife. What this serves to prove is Peyton Manning's Statistics in the regular season being better than Tom Brady does not prove he is a better quarterback just proves he has more support on his offense.

"You Must Look At a Career, not just the postseason. Sorry buddy"
To my opponent wasn't your whole argument in the last round just based off the statistics of Peyton Manning in the regular season?
I do look at the career and Tom Brady's postseason success makes his career better than Peyton Manning's.

Success- an event that accomplishes it's intended purpose
That's the definition of "Success" and in the NFL the "intended Purpose" when going to the postseason is to win the Superbowl. Am I wrong?

"Peyton Manning has a better win percentage in the Superbowl"
My opponent is right on this Peyton Manning has won all his Superbowl. <- not a grammatical error
Peyton Manning has only attended ONE Superbowl in the last 10 years so by the definition of "Success" that my opponent wanted me to define it means Peyton Manning Failed 9/10 in his career making his win percentage in the postseason 10%.
Tom Brady won 3 of his 4 Superbowls. Making Tom Brady's postseason success 3/10 which is 30% which is 3TIMES more than Peyton Manning. Tom Brady has also won all his Superbowls with a game winning drive which shows how good Tom Brady is in clutch situations. Tom Brady is better in the clutch than Peyton Manning is.

"Peyton Manning has more experience and leadership qualities than Tom Brady. He has been in the league longer than Brady and possesses extreme leadership in choosing which plays to perform seconds before the ball is snapped during game play"
Peyton Manning being in the league longer does not make him a better leader if it did his team would have had better success in the postseason. Tom Brady being in the league as long as he has and bringing a team with a mediocre offense to the Superbowl as many times as he did and managing the games in the way that he did makes Tom Brady the better leader.

Stats do not prove anything to all the people reading this debate when deciding who's a better quarterback a true measure of a quarterback is in their ability to lead their team and get wins.
EXAMPLE
2008 NFL season:
Drew Brees had 5069 yards, 34 touchdowns and a 96 QB rating
Peyton Manning had 4002 yards, 27 touchdowns and a 95 QB rating
Peyton Manning won the MVP award because his team made the playoffs and Drew Bree's didn't.

My opponent expects you all the just see that stats and automatically use that to make up your minds that says Peyton Manning is a better Quarterback.

In short I've proven
Leadership ability- Tom Brady wins- because he has led his team and accomplished the "intended goal" more times than Peyton Manning has with less opportunities to do it. (years pro) Tom Brady leads his team to win isn't that what a good definition of a leader is?

Peyton Manning's stats over Tom Brady's- Tom Brady did not have the kind of all star support that Peyton Manning has had but it's been proven that if you give Brady the tools he will do just as good if not better than Peyton Manning, ever since Tom Brady got the help or premier receiver Randy Moss he has thrown over 4000 yards in both years they have been together. Peyton Manning doesn't have better stats than Tom Brady because he's a better quarterback he has better players easy as that.

Tom Brady is regarded by many as one of the top clutch quarterbacks of all time so is Peyton Manning but not as good as Tom Brady when he drove down the field in those 3 superbowls makes him a better clutch quarterback.

1:21 left and he drives down the field against the Rams (1st video)

1:08 left and he drives down the field against the Panthers to win another Superbowl (2nd video)

My opponent can rebuttal with how many clutch moments Manning has had but it can never be as much pressure as it was for Brady to drive down the field during a Superbowl.

Tom Brady is the best Quarterback of the decade because of what he has been able to accomplish as the leader of his team winning the most rings and having arguable the greatest season a quarterback has ever had in 2007.

Here check the rosters and look up the names there are no star players on this offense
http://www.nfl.com...
http://www.nfl.com...
http://www.nfl.com...
http://www.nfl.com...
studentathletechristian8

Con

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
Loserboi

Pro

I don't know what to say now. My opponent has forfeited a round in which he had 2 days to post a response so I guess he concedes that Tom Brady is the better quarterback.

MVP- most outstanding player of the year judged by actions during the regular season

Stats do not prove anything, they don't lie but they don't tell the entire truth. Got to look at the offense and Manning's heavily stacked offense is what made the difference between these two quarterbacks in statistics. The last two seasons of this decade Peyton Manning won the league MVP award but he was not been the best player of the year statistically when judging the better quarterback you judge the intangibles which is their leadership ability to get wins. If stats were everything Manning should give up his last 2 MVP awards because there were at least 5 quarterbacks this year who had a higher passer rating than him this year, and like my example in the last round Drew Brees beat him in every statistical category in his 2008 MVP season.
http://www.nfl.com...

Tom Brady in the two years he has played with Randy Moss in 2007, 2009 he has thrown less interceptions and more touchdowns in those years combined than Peyton Manning did in 2007 and 2009 combined.

Tom Brady enjoyed a small dynasty with the patriots going to 4 superbowls and winning 3 of them and he was the main reason for it with his last minute theatrics never throwing a pick in the final drive of any of those Superbowls.

The main goal is for any player in the NFL is winning the Superbowl and Tom Brady has had more success than Peyton Manning making his career better than Manning's.

Better-something superior

Everything for a quarterback is determined by the team's effort whether its winning the Superbowl, winning regular season games, or getting good statistics the quarterback needs the efforts of everyone on the team to achieve all these goals. So why does Peyton Manning struggle so much in the playoffs with his pro bowl offense only making one Superbowl appearance while Brady has made 4? The defense is not the issue or even the Offensive line for that matter, Peyton Manning every year is one of the quarterbacks who gets sacked the least amount of times, and his defense is comprised of
All pro Defensive End Dwight Freeney
Pro Bowl Defensive end Robert Mathis
Pro Bowl Safety and the 2007 NFL defensive player of the year Bob Sanders
Pro Bowl Safety Antoine Bethea
He has the stand outs on offense and defense and he has proven to get wins in the regular season leading the Colts to the most wins in the NFL this decade. But it all doesn't matter because in the playoffs Manning's game is completely off he makes a lot more mistakes and he does not handle the clutch situations as well as he did in the regular season.

Brady's cool head, leadership ability, and decision making skills are far better than Manning's, again hes got the rings to back up that claim. Sorry buddy Peyton Manning can enjoy all the regular success he wants but that's only half the season you got to finish just as strong and Peyton just doesn't.

If Tom Brady is better leader than Manning then shouldn't he easily be considered to be the better quarterback? The quarterback is the majority of the time he leader of the team.
studentathletechristian8

Con

Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Student, why did you give?
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Thanks.

I actually took this debate seriously ;)
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Con's round is so far dominating - and I'm not just saying that because I hate Tom Brady. That was some good debating, sac. I really love sports debates so this is interesting. Good job to both, so far.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Boo @ student, can't wait to see brees kick paytons butt tomorrow!
Posted by Loserboi 7 years ago
Loserboi
This will be very hard on my part
Vote Placed by Loserboi 7 years ago
Loserboi
Loserboistudentathletechristian8Tied