miketheman1200
nyyfan

Tomato's have no place in a fruit salad.

miketheman1200

miketheman1200

Pro

Troll debate, and should be treated as such.

First round acceptance.
nyyfan

Con

I accept, they are a fruit and deserve to be in the appropriate salad!
miketheman1200

Pro

I recognize that tomatoes are a fruit, but I do not believe they deserve a place among higher class fruits in a salad.

Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy, fruit salad.

Let's make some fruit salad today, oh huh huh
It's fun to do it's a healthy way
Take all the fruit that you want to eat
It's gonna be a fruit salad treat

The first step
Peal your bananas
The second step
Toss in some grapes
The third step
Chop up some apples
Chop up some Mellon's and put them on your plate

Now we've made it, it's time to eat it
It tastes so good that you just can't beat it
Give everyone a plate and a spoon
We'll all be eating it very soon

The first step
Eat up the bananas
The second step
Eat up some grapes
The third step
Eat up some apples
Eat up the Mellon's now there's nothing on your plate

Now we had our fruit salad today
It's time to put the scraps away
Wash the bowl and wash the spoon
Let's do it all again real soon

Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy

Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy
Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy

http://lyrics.wikia.com...

I would like to point out that tomatoes were not mentioned once through out the course of this historic landmark of a song for fruit salads everywhere. By This reasoning they aren't legitimate.

Reasons not to want tomato in your fruit salad.

1.) Raw tomatoes are really going to mess up the mojo of your sweet fruit salad.

2.) There are mentally handicapped Americans who think that tomatoes are a vegetable, and you may risk confusing them.

3.) Tomatoes are evil. The tomato, as a member of the Nightshade family, contains a bitter poisonous alkaloid called "Solanine". Solanine is toxic to humans, but it requires a concentrated amount to induce sickness.

http://www.tomatoesareevil.com...

4.) According to this poll, 79% of people had negative things to say about tomatoes.
http://amplicate.com...

5.) Tomatoes have a weird leafy thing on top of them, and that bothers me.

6.) When little kids get home after school their moms usually give them apples or grapes.

Come on man, for the children, stop this crazy tomato in fruit salad madness.

7.) The last time I saw tomatoes in a fruit salad was in prison, and the other fruits weren't even fruits, they were rocks and stuff.

8.) The inside of a tomato looks like an organ. (not the instrument)

9.) Out of 20 top rated recipes, not one had tomatoes.
http://allrecipes.com...

10.) If you find a tomato in a salad, its usually in a vegetable salad, making it a minority.

I hope that what I've said has touched your hearts and made you realize tomatoes must be stopped from intruding any fruit salad.

I AWAIT CONS RESPONSE
nyyfan

Con

What this sounds like to me is that my opponent has a major case of "fruit superiority complex" and is a "fruit racist." What really must be stopped here is this continuos bigotry against tomatoes, I am sick and tired of seeing tomatoes overlooked as a member of fruit salads! Most other fruits are sweet and tangy whereas tomatoes are more bitter and can complement the other fruits nicely, they stand out and bring variety from an otherwise one-dimensional dish. Also, the people of Jacksonville, Texas, the Tomato Capital of the World, would disagree with your statistic saying that people don't like tomatoes. I'm sure they would gladly eat a fruit salad with some east Texas tomatoes in it during the upcoming Tomato Fest. As for the song I have one of my own...

There aint nothin in the world that I like better
Than bacon n lettuce n homegrown tomatoes
Up in the mornin, out in the garden
Get you a ripe one, dont pick a hard 'un
Plant 'em in the spring, eat em in the summer
All winter without em is a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin and the diggin
Every time I go out and pick me a big un

Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What would life be like without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money cant buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes

You can go out to eat an thats for sure
But theres nothin a homegrown tomatoe wont cure
Put em in a salad, put em in a stew
You can make your own tomatoe juice
You can eat em with eggs, eat em with gravy
You can eat em with beans, pinto or navy
Put 'em on the side, put em in the middle
Home grown tomatoes on a hot cake griddle

Only two things that money cant buy

If Is to change this life I lead
You could call me Johnny Tomatoe Seed
Cause I know what this country needs
Home grown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die dont bury me
In a box in a cold dark cemetary
Out in the garden would be much better
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomatoe

Only two things that money cant buy

http://youtu.be...

This may not say much about fruit salads but it does show the versatility of the fruit and also how much people love them. Oh and not to mention this song is by John Denver, so who are you going to listen to John Denver or a bunch of grown men who color coordinate their shirts and their hats. Don't discriminate, give tomatoes a chance!!!!
miketheman1200

Pro

What you will witness in this video is a tomato attacking a group of innocent wandering animated children. I advice those who cannot stomach graphic content to refrain from watching.

Sometimes people have to realize that there are things that are just superior, tomatoes aren't one of those things. This does not make me a fruit racist, it makes me a fruit rationalist.

Argument Rebuttal

1.) "Most other fruits are sweet and tangy whereas tomatoes are more bitter and can complement the other fruits nicely"

Not a ton of people like to mix bitter in with their sweets. You don't see me using crab apples to top my ice cream.

2.) "the people of Jacksonville, Texas, the Tomato Capital of the World, would disagree with your statistic saying that people don't like tomatoes."

Texas is the fattest state in the US. That's a statistic they might agree with. Tomatoes are most popular in the gluttony capital of America, that's not giving a good rep.

3.) "As for the song I have one of my own" http://youtu.be......

Notice that this song only has 54,000 views, while the fruit salad song which represents the majority, has 13,241,251 views.

I guarantee you that if someone had of came and threw tomatoes into that salad the wiggles would have got up and left right then.

More points:

1.) Everyone knows that American food gets you fat, Tomatoes are American and therefore get you fat. Just look at Texas where they are most popular.

2.) Tomatoes once attacked the US.

3.) Tomatoes once attacked France (But who cares)

4.) Tomatoes are thrown at people on stage when they stink, implying that they are worth as much as a tomato. Do you want something that's thrown at talent less people in your salad? Just think what the dinner guests will say.

I Extend all 7 arguments that were not addressed by con.

http://allrecipes.com......
nyyfan

Con

1. "Not a ton of people like to mix bitter in with their sweets. You don't see me using crab apples to top my ice cream." First have you tried crab apples on your ice cream? Just curious as to the results. Second I have one drink that will prove you wrong, it is called the Tom Collins, the Gin (a bitter flavor) is used to balance the sweet-tangy taste of the lemon and lime used in sour mix.

2. Where do you get your information, Mississippi is the fattest state. -http://calorielab.com...

Also, tomatoes are very nutritious. This from http://nutritiondata.self.com...

"The good: This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese.

The bad: A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars."

As far as the bad goes, this is true of all fruits!

3. Since I'm sure by American you mean the states then you would be incorrect, Tomatoes are from South America, it has been reasoned most likely Peru... therefore they are Peruvian. -http://www.landscapeimagery.com...

4. I do not know what attacks you are speaking of in 2 and 3 so I will not bother to address that issue.

5. Tomatoes are usually rotten when they are thrown (hence the website rotten tomatoes). This is likely due to the fact that people are so disappointed in the performance that they throw the tomatoes, just like how they are disappointed that their delicious fruit went bad.

6. "There are mentally handicapped Americans who think that tomatoes are a vegetable, and you may risk confusing them." Putting them in fruit salads would help educate these unfortunately misinformed people.

7. In regards to solanine, this only exists when tomatoes are green and since tomatoes are eaten while red it isn't a concern.

8. As far as the "leafy-thing" on the top of tomatoes I believe they would most likely be chopped/diced like the other fruits of a fruit salad and you could therefore remove the green extremity at this point.

9. "When little kids get home after school their moms usually give them apples or grapes."
That is because the mom is saving the tomatoes for dinner!

10. "The last time I saw tomatoes in a fruit salad was in prison, and the other fruits weren't even fruits, they were rocks and stuff."
Since it seems you were in a rehab facility or a mental ward (since you hallucinated rocks being served to you as food) we should most likely just strike this (and all other) comment(s) from the record. Agreed? Anyhow since any form of fruit salad would be expensive it is likely not on a prisoners meal plan (on average there total daily meals cost around $2.25).

11. "The inside of a tomato looks like an organ." Which one?

12. The second top rated recipe was a lasagna... both crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. You should go back and check it out for yourself. It was called World's Best Lasagna, submitted by Johnchandler on allrecipe's top 20 recipes page that you referenced.
miketheman1200

Pro

Goodness, someone got serious and fast!

I will begin with the rebuttal.

1.) First have you tried crab apples on your ice cream? Just curious as to the results. Second I have one drink that will prove you wrong, it is called the Tom Collins, the Gin (a bitter flavor) is used to balance the sweet-tangy taste of the lemon and lime used in sour mix.
Yes I have tried it once on a dare and it was the worst thing ever. And just like tomatoes, I'm guessing a majority of people don't use or consume a Tom Collins on a daily basis.

2.) Where do you get your information, Mississippi is the fattest state. -http://calorielab.com......

Sorry I was wrong, but Texas is still a really fat state so my point is still there. Texas actually has at least 4 of the fattest cities in the country, including San Antonio and Houston.

3.) . Since I'm sure by American you mean the states then you would be incorrect, Tomatoes are from South America, it has been reasoned most likely Peru... therefore they are Peruvian. -http://www.landscapeimagery.com......

No I meant America, including the U.S, and everywhere else.

4.) I do not know what attacks you are speaking of in 2 and 3 so I will not bother to address that issue.

I will address your issues if you have any. Do you not care about me the way I care about you? :(

5.)Tomatoes are usually rotten when they are thrown (hence the website rotten tomatoes). This is likely due to the fact that people are so disappointed in the performance that they throw the tomatoes, just like how they are disappointed that their delicious fruit went bad.

So you have been to a show where they throw tomatoes at people? And you took note at the fact that they were rotten? Do you really think that someone would put rotten tomatoes in their car and risk their new leather to bring rotten tomatoes to a show, and just Top throw them at some poor guy? I would disagree. Not to mention rotten tomatoes could be carrying disease ridden bugs. I don't think it would be legal to risk the spread of bacteria like that.

6.)"There are mentally handicapped Americans who think that tomatoes are a vegetable, and you may risk confusing them." Putting them in fruit salads would help educate these unfortunately misinformed people.

No, it would give them a seizure. Americans can be startled and confused very easily. Half of the country suffered minor heart attacks when a black man became president, so don't think they wont drop dead when they find out tomatoes aren't vegetables.

7.)In regards to sol nine, this only exists when tomatoes are green and since tomatoes are eaten while red it isn't a concern.

The leaf of the tomato also contains solanine, even if you discarded it the family pet could get into it, oh no!

8.)As far as the "leafy-thing" on the top of tomatoes I believe they would most likely be chopped/diced like the other fruits of a fruit salad and you could therefore remove the green extremity at this point.

"I believe" I believe it wouldn't be removed by some method of cutting, so where do we go from here?

9.)That is because the mom is saving the tomatoes for dinner!

Unless its in the form of pasta sauce or ketchup, the majority of kids wouldn't eat a raw or cooked tomato with their dinner.

10.) Since it seems you were in a rehab facility or a mental ward (since you hallucinated rocks being served to you as food) we should most likely just strike this (and all other) comment(s) from the record. Agreed? Anyhow since any form of fruit salad would be expensive it is likely not on a prisoners meal plan (on average there total daily meals cost around $2.25).

It wasn't a mental ward, it was a prison. And there were these three guys in the cafeteria talking trash about some other inmates. They hatched a plan to kill one of the trash talkers, and they knew it would be easy because he was blind. When they were on cafeteria duty they fixed him up a "fruit salad containing only tomatoes and rocks. He was given a spoon and on the first swallow he chocked and died. I was actually visiting my uncle who was a prison guard, that's how I gained entrance to the cafeteria and saw this all go down. Are you happy now? Now that I was forced to bring up the death of that poor blind man who chocked on rocks and your precious tomatoes?

The organ looking one.

12.)The second top rated recipe was a lasagna... both crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. You should go back and check it out for yourself. It was called World's Best Lasagna, submitted by Johnchandler on allrecipe's top 20 recipes page that you referenced.

We are talking about how tomatoes shouldn't be in fruit salad remember? I don't know why I through that in there in the first place.

Now that I'm done with all that I will conclude.

Conclusion: Tomatoes are a fruit, but not a fruit worthy to be in a fruit salad. Tomatoes are icky and bitter and would only ruin the sweet sensation that eating a fruit salad delivers which is why there presence in all fruit salads should be cut off.

I hope you guys make the right decision and vote pro! Keep tomatoes out of our children's fruit salad!
nyyfan

Con

My opponent only reiterated his points from the last time around so for the sake of abandoning redundancy I will leave you with recipes for fruit salad that includes tomatoes and perhaps you can try one and see if that changes your opinion.

Tomato Fruit Salad

Ingredients

1 qrt. fresh strawberries, cleaned & cut in half
1 large peach, cut into thin slices, then cut in half again
1/2 large red delicious apple, sliced then quartered
1 pint of mixed cherry tomatoes - red, green, yellow, orange

Dressing

3 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. agave nectar (or honey)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
a dash of cinnamon

How we make it

Wash and cut the fruit as indicated then place in a large
glass bowl and gently toss to mix.

Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk
together to thoroughly combine.

Pour the dressing into a glass jar, put a lid on it and
shake it vigorously (this recipe includes exercise!).

Cover and refrigerate the fruit salad and dressing until
ready to use. Remove from refrigerator, place in a medium
to large serving bowl, shake dressing again and "spritz" the
salad with it. Gently toss to coat.

Mango Tomato Salad

Try using other fruits in place of the mangoes in this easy recipe, like peaches, nectarines, or papaya.
Ingredients:

4 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 large mango, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup finely chopped red sweet onion
1 cup grape tomatoes
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. salt
dash white pepper
Preparation:

Slice tomatoes and mango into 1/2" pieces. Arrange mango and tomato slices alternately on a plate and top with onion and grape tomatoes. Combine the remaining ingredients in small bowl; stir with wire whisk until combined. Drizzle the dressing over the fruits and serve. 4 servings

Tomato and Watermelon salad

5 cups (3/4-inch) seeded watermelon cubes $
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes $
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
Cracked black pepper to taste
Preparation

1. Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Stir in onion, vinegar, and oil. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled with lettuce leaves, if desired. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper to taste.

There! If just reading those recipes didn't make your mouth water then I don't know what will. As you can see there are plenty of perfectly delicious ways to incorporate tomatoes into a fruit salad. Thank you for your time, vote for fruit equality!
Vote Placed by Asp111 5 years ago
Asp111
miketheman1200nyyfanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Mike was just as convicing as fan, but I must admit, using the historic trate (Fruit salad, yummy yummy) really got me to liking his arguement. I also agree with nyyfan about the diseases.