brontoraptor
Irascible_Me

Tombstone was best movie of all time

Irascible_Me has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/28/2016 Category: Movies

brontoraptor

Pro

Tombstone (1993), starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Sam Elliott was the best movie of all time.
Irascible_Me

Con

I thank the instigator for the opportunity to debate this topic. The movie proposed by the instigator is indeed a fine movie which I did enjoy. I will try to remain as civil as possible (note my user name).

This is my first debate attempt. As I see no rules regarding parameters for each round, I will simply address the premise advanced by my opposition, without going beyond proposing an alternative, which I feel is required in order to properly challenge the assertion.

I believe the 1993 motion picture, "Tombstone" is in fact, not the best movie of all time. In opposition and to substantiate my challenge, I propose the 1992 motion picture, "Unforgiven", starring Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Gene Hackman as the best movie of all time.
brontoraptor

Pro

The Tombstone Intro-

(Video)

*

The film "Tombstone" is based on events in Tombstone, Arizona, including the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and the Earp Vendetta Ride, during the 1880s.

Following its cinematic release in 1993, Tombstone was named "One of the 5 greatest Westerns ever made" by True West Magazine.

*

Here is the classic scene between Wyatt Earp and Johnny Tyler:

(Video)

In this scene Johnny Tyler is the bar bully, but Wyatt has a battle of words with Johnny which ends up with him committing a slapfest beatdown of Johnny and dragging him out of the bar by his ear.

*

Here is the scene between Ike and Wyatt Earp:

(Video)

In this scene Ike begins to rush Wyatt, but suddenly has Earp's pistol blunt against his forehead. Ike's arrogance suddenly becomes fear. Wyatt goes on to let Ike know his focus on him alone, and that if Ike's friends rush him, Ike's head will "be made into a canoe."

*

Doc Holliday vs Johnny Ringo

(Video)

In this classic scene Doc and Johnny have a squaring off of words in Latin:

Doc : In vino veritas.

Ringo : Age quod agis.

Doc : Credat Judaeus Apella, non ego.

Ringo : Juventus stultorum magister.

Doc : In pace requiescat!

(Doc : In wine there is truth.)

*Doc Holiday is excusing his own behavior here, and further insulting Johnny Ringo by saying that he is drunk, and saying truthful things he would otherwise not reveal. He had previously said he hated Johnny Ringo for being similar to himself.

(Ringo : Do what you do / Watch what you do.)

*This is one of the most interesting lines because it means more than just watch what you do. The line can be interpreted as be careful, or people do what they do (saying that Doc Holiday is drunk because he is a drunkard), and it can also mean something along the lines of do what you do best, which would be gunfight since Ringo had apparently heard of Holiday's skill. It is a challenge and an insult combined into one.

(Doc : Tell it to someone else, not I.)

*This line is dismissive. Doc Holiday is conveying the fact that he doesn't care what Johnny Ringo is saying and that he doesn't care what his advice is.

A common Latin saying meaning "Let the Jew Apella believe it; not I". The phrase means, roughly, tell it to someone else, not me.

The reference is taken from the work Satires (book one, satire five) by ancient poet Horace. It is derived from a scene where people try to convince travellers of miracles happening at their shrines. The phrase is uttered to convey the disbelief and that they should tell their stories to someone else.

(Ringo: Youth is the teacher of fools.)

*When Ringo taps his pistol he says this, which conveys the idea that Doc Holiday is inexperienced (youthfull) and ignorant of the danger he is getting himself into.

"Juventus stultorum magister" is a common Latin aphorism, or phrase that has many implied and implicit meanings. The sentance translates to "youth is the teacher of fools".

Juventus isn't really a latin word, they didn't use the letter 'J' so it is really Iuventus, which is in the nominative case (subject of the sentence), and it means youth or adolescence.

Stultorum is a latin derivation of the word stultus, stulti which means fool. The "orum" ending places it in the genative case, used (most frequently) to show possesion. Hence of fools.

Magister literally means teacher or schoolmaster. It is in the Nominative case as well.

There is an implied transitive verb such as "is" which would require the nominative case on both sides of the verb. Hence we have: "Youth is the teacher of fools".

(Doc : Rest in peace.)

*To end the conversation Doc Holiday throws the previous warning back into Ringo's face. Doc tells him to rest in peace, or to die, because Ringo is unaware of the danger that Doc presents.

latindiscussion.com/forum/latin/latin-conversation-in-the-movie-tombstone.6909

*

Drunk Doc Holliday scene

(Video)

In this scene we have a funnier side to the movie of which Doc, making fun of Ike, challenges Ike to a spelling contest.

*

Wyatt Earp vengeance scene

(Video)

In this scene Wyatt has snapped and gone into wrath mode spewing the famous quote, "You tell em I'm coming! And Hell's commin with me! You hear?!?!? Hell's coming with me!!!!"

*

And...Miss Celania declared Tombstone as the best Western of all time and so do I, bronto.

Posted by Irascible_Me 6 months ago
Irascible_Me
LOL....oh, God, no! Not again; not at my age! Guardianship of 1 year old by order of court. I didn't ask; I wasn't asked. A helluva story though.
Posted by brontoraptor 6 months ago
brontoraptor
Who is she
Posted by Irascible_Me 6 months ago
Irascible_Me
I have suddenly found myself unable to devote the time necessary to this debate. Life, as they say, happens.

I have no doubt but you would have prevailed at any rate.

Sorry for wasting your topic.
Posted by Murdoc 6 months ago
Murdoc
Watch the first very carefully: https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by Murdoc 6 months ago
Murdoc
"I've got two guns, one for each of you."