Tonality is a natural Force Like Gravity

Started: 3/22/2013 Category: Arts

Tonality is not a learned understanding of how different tones sound/relate to one another. Tonality is basically part of the intelligent design of the universe. Minor seconds, the tritone are dissonant. Whereas the perfect fifth, forth etc are consonant. I am not arguing or strict western harmony but Atonal music is unnatural. Lets just agree a great composer like Stravinski or Mile Davis can stretch tonality but they never break it.

NayabBHB thank you for creating this debate

Let me share a little bit about myself. I admin a page on Facebook dedicated to the debate of evolution creation and ID. In my youth I had been a member of several audition choirs and had considered becoming a music teacher.

I find your assertions to be some thing new as an argument for ID, but fail to see how tonality can not nor would not exists if this world was not designed.

Given that humans are the only creatures known to make music (other animals "sing" but do not fit the definition of "music") what does unnatural really mean when we are talking about music?

By what metric does Pro make the claim that atonal music is unnatural music? I myself with years of music experience can not think of a metric that is not arbitrary that would put any divide between tonal and atonal music

1 The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
2 The vocal or instrumental sound produced in this way.

The standard Dorian scale is based off of ratios as the video clip shows at time stamp 3:00

Minor seconds, tritone, perfect fifth, forth etc are consonant because they are defined. It is like saying a square is constant. It is pointless.

We can see standard tones in ratios thanks to the consistency of physics, but this does not make nonstandard tones unnatural.

I think Pro's major flaw is lack of definitions for key terms.
When ever something is asserted to be not natural then what is it? supernatural?

In conclusion pressure waves that are in the audible frequencies as well as those that fall out side that range are all natural. Atonal music is as natural as tonal music.

NayrbBHB forfeited this round.

Please vote Con.