massvideogamer
slammin

Tony The Tiger

Con Tied Pro

massvideogamer

Con

I am against Tony The Tiger. He is nothing but a useless icon. The other cereal guys are much cooler. I would like my opponent to try and make me think otherwise.

(Note: This is not meant to be a really serious debate, so don't take it as such)
slammin

Pro

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm sorry that you feel that way about such an awesome cereal box-dude.

But thank you for starting this debate.

Okay. Onto the debate. (:

"He is nothing but a useless icon."

He can't be nothing but a useless icon if he's helped Frosted Flakes become a famous enterprise/cereal. Besides, whats so good about the other icons? Psh, don't disrespect.

"The other cereal guys are much cooler"

This is an opinion. Do the other cereal guys sing? No.

"I would like my opponent to try and make me think otherwise."

Okay. He doesn't have an annoying catch phrase repeated every single commercial, he SINGS with others, he does not have strange, distorted physical features like other cereal guys, and encourages outdoor activity/exercise

______________________________________________________________________________

My opponent has not mentioned why Tony the Tiger is NOT a good mascot for Frosted Flakes, or any other cereal. He has also not mentioned why Tony the Tiger isn't as good as the other cereal guys.
massvideogamer

Con

"Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm sorry that you feel that way about such an awesome cereal box-dude.

But thank you for starting this debate."

Well it's not a feeling of pure hate, I don't go around stabbing boxes of Frosted Flakes or anything, and you're welcome.

"He can't be nothing but a useless icon if he's helped Frosted Flakes become a famous enterprise/cereal. Besides, whats so good about the other icons? Psh, don't disrespect."

He helped it BECOME famous, now that it's already famous, he's useless. All he does is go on commercials that most people just ignore, and the other guys are better. For one thing, some of them are more popular than he is, and they don't encourage kids to exercise and get healthy from eating their cereal.

"This is an opinion. Do the other cereal guys sing? No. "

No, but they do much cooler stuff, like stop an evil pirate from stealing his cereal. Or hunting down ancient Froot Loops treasure. Or fighting off a bunch of kids who want to steal the Leprachaun's cereal. Actually, come to think of it, Snap Crackle and Pop do sing "Snap Crackle Pop, Rice Krispies." There are many other cereal icons that do cool stuff as well, but I won't mention here for the sake of time and space.

"Okay. He doesn't have an annoying catch phrase repeated every single commercial, he SINGS with others, he does not have strange, distorted physical features like other cereal guys, and encourages outdoor activity/exercise"

...HE'S A TALKING TIGER! What's so normal about that? And the other guys aren't distorted. As for the exercising, i'll get to that in a minute.

"My opponent has not mentioned why Tony the Tiger is NOT a good mascot for Frosted Flakes, or any other cereal. He has also not mentioned why Tony the Tiger isn't as good as the other cereal guys."

I'll get to that in a minute too.

If Tony the Tiger is so great, then why would Kelloggs have him DIE? As you can see in this article:

"NEW YORK, November 20- Tony the Tiger, beloved spokesperson for Kellogg's Frosted Flakes died today, after suffering a heart attack believed to have been brought on by a lifetime of poor food choices and Type 2 diabetes.

Tony, born in 1952, was conceived by famous illustrator Martin Provensen. Tony is survived by his son Tony Jr., best known for his own short-lived cereal, Frosted Rice.

While most will remember Tony for his exuberant personality, his life was one of sugar highs and lows. The tiger, who consumed Frosted Flakes and milk (exclusively), developed Type 2 Diabetes sometime in the mid-1970s. The last decade was especially hard on the breakfast cereal icon.

"In the mid- to late-'90s, Tony was a bit of a buffoon," said Mark Baynes, Kellogg's Chief Marketing Officer, "He wasn't credible and kids were starting to lose a lot of association with the brand."

But Kellogg's attempt to reposition Tony as more than just a ‘tagline-spouting cartoon' ended in failure. The resulting ad campaign pitched Tony as a coach and mentor who helped kids train for sporting events.

"Tony as a coach was completely ludicrous, and everyone knew it," said Toucan Sam, a lifelong friend.

Sources close to Tony say report that the star hit a new low this June when Kellogg's hinted that he would no longer appear in advertising targeted to children under twelve. The decision was in response to threats of a lawsuit from parents and nutrition advocacy groups who believe cereal is contributing to the rising tide of childhood obesity.

"The thought that he would no longer be able to interact with his younger fans crushed Tony," said Toucan Sam, also hard hit by Kellogg's new advertising guidelines.

40% of the calories in Frosted Flakes come from cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup - more than 36 grams of which can be found in a single cup of the cereal."

(I think now you see why I said this is not the most serious of serious debates)

Obviously, Kelloggs did not want Tony the Tiger anymore, so they had him die. How is that GREEEEEEAAAAAAAT?
slammin

Pro

"All he does is go on commercials that most people just ignore, and the other guys are better"

Once again, opinion. I do watch the Tony the Tiger commercials.

"...HE'S A TALKING TIGER! What's so normal about that? And the other guys aren't distorted. As for the exercising, i'll get to that in a minute."

So? I don't see people bashing Spongebob for talking.

As for the exercising, based on what I've seen, all of the Tony the Tiger commercials have been showing people being active, and encouraging it.

"He helped it BECOME famous, now that it's already famous, he's useless."

Says who? That is a generalization that is not completely true. He is important to keep the cereal famous. Everybody knows Toys-R-Us because of the catchy jingle they have and the giraffe. Take those two advertising qualities away, and there's nothing to make people interested. Same goes for Frosted Flakes.

"Obviously, Kelloggs did not want Tony the Tiger anymore, so they had him die. How is that GREEEEEEAAAAAAAT?"

This is also a generalization. You mentioned that the cereal has been failing due to inadequate mascots, right? Also, This is not Tony's fault, so does not portain to the argument

This could be a way to get publicity, or they could simply think its time to let Tony go.

"If Tony the Tiger is so great, then why would Kelloggs have him DIE?"

Can you please post the link to this article?

"The tiger, who consumed Frosted Flakes and milk (exclusively), developed Type 2 Diabetes sometime in the mid-1970s."

Of course he would. Anybody who consumes soley one food(note the exclusively) would develop that. It was twenty years of eating the same sugary thing. But the amount of sugar that's in the cereal is not important.

"Tony as a coach was completely ludicrous, and everyone knew it," said Toucan Sam, a lifelong friend."

Maybe Toucan Sam was jealous. He was working for another cereal.

_______________________________________________________________________________

My opponent has posted several counterarguments, but has still not proved how Tony is inferior to other cereal guys, and why he isn't a good mascot.
massvideogamer

Con

slammin, I fear that you have not done your part in this debate. All you have done is say that all my claims are purely opinions without proving that they are opinions. You actually have not done anything on your part to prove that Tony the Tiger is good, which means you have not been doing your job as PRO. You have barely even touched the topic that you as PRO must try to prove. You cannot win debates by just saying that my claims are opinions and leaving it at that without even trying to prove your side of the argument.

Now, back to Tony te Tiger:

Yes, no one bashes Spongebob for talking, but you just bashed the other cereal guys for being distorted when your defending a talking tiger.

You say that Tony is just as good as the other cereal guys, but yet you give no proof.

If you go to http://hourofthedragon.blogspot.com... you will see that Tony the Tiger is rated 5th out of all the cereal guys. If Tony is so great, then why is he only in 5th place? If he is in 5th place, then that means that the guys in places 1-4 are, in point-of-fact, better than him.

Just read what it says about Tony the Tiger in that link. Not exactly great reviews. For those of you who hate clicking on links and reading entire articles, i will copy and paste what it says abot Tony here:

"5- Tony the Tiger - Tony the Tiger is a musclebound Tiger who has been the spokesperson for Frosted Flakes cereal since the early 50s. Tony would have made it higher on my list if it weren't for a couple of flaws in his character. First, he wasn't always the only representative for Frosted Flakes cereal. Tony was originally accompanied by Katy the Kangaroo, Elmo the Elephant, and Newt the Gnu. After only one year, Tony proved to be much more of a hit with the public so the other animal friends were taken back to the zoo. Tony has also been accompanied by his very own family. In the 70s Tony had a son, Tony Jr., a wife, and a daughter, Antoinette. His family is never mentioned these days. I'm not down with the way Tony apparently abandoned them to seek his own fortune and fame. The second reason Tony doesn't come in on my list higher is because I don't like the message he sends kids. Every commercial would start out with a kid getting picked on because he wasn't good enough to compete with the real athletes. Then Tony would suggest he eat a bowl of Frosted Flakes, and after just a few bites...Whala! The kid would be better than ever. And you wonder why we have a steroid problem. Take a look at Tony himself. He's actually gotten bigger over the years, and he's still able to compete with the world's best athletes. He's over 50 years old! Something isn't right. If Tony just would have kept things clean and acknowledged his family, he might have had a shot at number 1."

See that? It has a tremendous point. In all of the Frosted Flakes commercials with kids exercise that you claim are so good, the kids are really bad at sports until they eat Frosted Flakes, and then they are great at sports. The message coming from these commercials is basically saying "Eat Frosted Flakes! They're the Cereal form of Sterioids!"

Now i'll copy and paste the cereal guys higher than Tony on the list:

"1- Cap'n Crunch - Captain Horatio Crunch was first introduced by Quaker Oats in 1963. He was born and raised on Crunch Island, which is located in the Milk Sea. His ship is the S.S. Guppy, and in the 60s he was accompanied by his first mate, Seadog, and a crew of four kids. Their mission was to keep the cereal out of the hands of Jean LaFoote, the Barefoot Pirate. At one point, due to his enormous popularity, Cap'n Crunch was promoted to Admiral. This didn't last long as his replacements kept messing things up. There are plenty of reasons Cap'n Crunch is my number 1 cereal icon. First, have you noticed just how many Cap'n Crunch cereals there are? For one man to represent all these cereals is a major feat in my eyes, no matter how bad the roof of my mouth gets ripped to shreds. Along with the regular Cap'n Crunch there are also Crunch Berries, Peanut Butter Crunch, Cinnamon Crunch, Vanilly Crunch, Choco Crunch, Christmas Crunch, Deep Sea Crunch, and probably several others I've forgotten about. There have also been countless enemies who have tried to take Cap'n Crunch cereal away from the Captain. The Soggies, for example, were a group of three milk-like goons who were always trying to make the crunchiness of the cereal go away. However, the good old Captain always proved that the cereal could stay crunchy in milk."

"2- Lucky - Lucky the Leprechaun was introduced in 1964 as the spokesman for Lucky Charms cereal. He's pretty much the most popular leprechaun ever and he's always saying that Lucky Charms are "magically delicious." I guess Lucky is magic because he has the ability to change ordinary marshmallows into pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers. Later lucky added blue diamonds, purple horseshoes, and red balloons. Beyond that, I haven't kept up with Lucky's additions and subtractions. Frankly, General Mills needs to make a decision on what the marshmallow shapes and colors should be. It's getting almost as bad as Crayola crayon colors. Lucky is constantly being chased by kids who are, as he puts it, "after me Lucky Charms." But he always seems to distract them by talking about his magical marshmallows. Maybe that is a hint as to why the marshmallows are in the cereal to begin with, to distract you from how bad the cereal actually is. I don't know about you, but I know I'd be disappointed if I found the end of the rainbow and all I got was a bowl of cereal for it."

"3- Trix Rabbit - Since his inception in 1960, the Trix rabbit has been trying to get a taste of his very own cereal. But no matter what he disguised himself as, two kids, a boy and a girl, would always stop him from getting his hands on Trix. They'd always say in a condescending manner, "silly rabbit, Trix are for kids." Then they'd snatch the bowl of cereal away from the poor rabbit. What jerks. Of course, the Trix rabbit might have gotten away with his ingenious disguises if it wasn't for his inability to get overexcited. He'd always start thinking about the orangey orange, lemony lime, and grapedy grape flavors and then he'd explode right out of his disguise. The Trix rabbit is extremely popular and has made several appearances on Family Guy. In fact, he became so popular that one time kids voted for him to finally get a taste of Trix cereal."

"4- Snap!, Crackle!, and Pop! - Snap!, Crackle! and Pop! were the first characters to ever represent Kellog's cereal, when they were conjured up for Rice Krispies. Snap! was introduced first in 1933. He is the leader of the three and wears a white baker's hat. Crackle! and Pop! weren't introduce until 1941. Crackle! tries to keep order between Snap! and Pop! and comes across as a know it all. He wears a red and white striped stocking cap. Pop! is the comedian of the group and he wears a yellow old-style military hat. These three were originally gnomes who looked quite freakish, but in 1949 their features suddenly changed and they appeared to be more human. Their clothes and hair styles have often changed with the times as well. They were always concerned about getting kids to hear the snap, crackle, and pop of the cereal after getting milk poured onto it. These three might have a had a shot at the number 1 spot on my list, except that there are three of them representing one cereal. It seems more like a team effort when compared with those in my top 3."

Gee, that sound A LOT better than what they said about Tony the Tiger. Actually, in point-of-fact, every cereal guy higher on the list have much better reviews than that of Tony's.

CONCLUSION: Tony the Tiger made Frosted Flakes a popular cereal, but has gone downhill ever since, and is not as good as the others as posted above.
slammin

Pro

slammin forfeited this round.
Posted by slammin 9 years ago
slammin
Sorry for not posting the last round. I totally forgot about it.
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
please actually read the debate and not just vote because you like Tony the Tiger
Posted by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
Ah, it seems it has been taken by somebody else. I would like to know, however, what con is advocating.
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
well not extremely serious, but serious to an extent
Posted by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
I would take it if it were meant to be taken seriously.
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 9 years ago
wooferalot101
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by Darth_Grievous_42 9 years ago
Darth_Grievous_42
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 9 years ago
Kmille11014
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by skizzils 9 years ago
skizzils
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by jinzy 9 years ago
jinzy
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
massvideogamerslamminTied
Vote Placed by rawritsmichelle 9 years ago
rawritsmichelle
massvideogamerslamminTied