Beachgirly
Ludacris

Too much usage of computers are getting in the way of a real learning experience

Beachgirly

Beachgirly

Pro

Well I am a thirteen years old and in the eighth grade (please don't let my age persuade you that I am not capable of crushing someone older then myself in a debate.) Well I attend school that is mostly reliant on technology. For example my algebra teacher told me that she envisioned her class going completely digital. I found that very odd considering that (most) kids my age do not retain information from a computer as quickly as she wanted us too. Well our class has now transformed into her dream class, we do , tests, practice work, homework and anything in between on computers. Now that transformation has happened, most of her class is failing or barley grasping the information. Ohh did I fail to mention that the way we write notes, is basically copying down the things she writes on the Promethean board to a student version PPT (PowerPoint)? Well yup! That's her amazing way of teaching a group of kids.. Hilarious right? Well if my way of thinking is in complete disarray, then I hope my challenger will (or at least attempt) to convince me otherwise.
Ludacris

Con

Technology is in no way inferior to the good ol' pen and paper in any way. Computers are a faster method of doing everything, you can't simply blame the computers for your peer's lack of experience with the technology. They're either simply not used to it and still need to adapt to it or are to stupid to know how to start a new Word Document. This is just like those fools that believe in a god; it's there way or the highway. Technology has no negative affect, it's the user controlling the computer.
Beachgirly

Pro

Yeah that't simply it, I'm too stupid to figure out the basics of a computer.

Well sorry to break it to your but I'm quite computer savvy, and I'm not saying that your wrong about how computers are useful at all, I actually love the idea that technologically is incorporated in schools. But I don't like it when we loose that teacher/student interaction (or "bond" if you whim) over it, the way you get the FULL experience of school is by learning from a teacher that you respect, look up to, and challenges you, my generation lacks that because kids now are learning more from a computer then from the person that's meant to be guiding them. What I truly think is programs that teachers assign students for a learning aid (such as LearningUpgrade, @Hometutor ect.) is just a way to escape the whole "Get to know you" deal. I rather learn from a person that can explain thing's that I don't get and MAKE me understand, instead of just searching a bunch of bs that doesn't even explain it to how I learn.

Now once again I want to state that technology is a extremely a useful tool and I don't know what I would do without it, But I feel like we are loosing the real learning experience, I rather do everything on paper and learn from a teacher that know's how each student learns because they have some sort of communication/interaction instead of learning off of some program and not retaining any information. Or maybe I can't truly learn from a program because I'm some dumbass who can't control a computer.
Ludacris

Con

Maybe in this case you're right but I'm debating in general on how computers can't necessarily effect your learning, not your little problem at school you need to vent about. I'm 14, by the way. Computers are made to make everything more simple and have endless possibilities, everything is limited by the user. The computers aren't getting in the way of your learning, YOU are. Your mind was made to accept the whole teacher/student relationship bullcrap, if you used computers as your main learning tool since you started school you would get used to the idea, I'm sure, and probably be doing better because of all the experience you've had with a computer (ie. you wouldn't have to vent on a website and always have to think about how a teacher's one on one is better).

Basically what I'm saying is that it's ALWAYS the user. Never the computer. There will always be somebody more computer savy than the other (ie. I'm positive that includes me > you) and if your brain was taught to accept the idea before starting the whole teacher/student crap.
Beachgirly

Pro

Well I'm so glad that think that way.. You must be ignorant of the feeling of having a teacher in your life that cares and doesn't put you on some "one way of learning things" program.. When you have a teacher, they conform the way they teach to accommodate each student and make sure they understand the curriculum. Once again I'm in love with technology and I do think that it makes things a lot easier, but I think our generation OVER USES it (in school).
Ludacris

Con

I stick to what I said. Have you ever considered a tutor for your special needs, or maybe an IPL Focus class. If you actually read what I wrote you would see that I proved my point well enough. Also maybe a plastic surgery or two and you'll be fine!
Beachgirly

Pro

Wow your cool. Are you really trying to put me down? May I ask why? Is it because that a girl is more intelligent than you?
Anyways I think a good question to ask right now is "You mad bro?". Really though, you must not know the basics of how a debate should be, its meant to be civil and right now I bet you feel like the retarded kid who laughs when he farts in the bathtub. Anyways have any more put downs?
Ludacris

Con

I've clearly won the argument and don't feel to feed the trolls.
Beachgirly

Pro

Wow okay. Anyways "nice" debate, and thanks for your input.. And yes obviously you won, good job bro
Ludacris

Con

Not a bad arguement.. Let's wait for the votes now :p
Posted by Sisyphus67 2 years ago
Sisyphus67
I don't think you were venting, Pro. I think you were questioning your response to the situation, and that is a very valid purpose for debate if you ask me, and something the world would benefit from more of. You felt it wasn't the best way to teach and wanted to bounce your reaction off of someone else to get a sanity check. Too bad it bounced off of who it did, that really didn't meet the purpose of a debate.
Posted by Beachgirly 2 years ago
Beachgirly
haha my bad x)
Posted by Ludacris 2 years ago
Ludacris
180 days vote.. Really?
Posted by Beachgirly 2 years ago
Beachgirly
Ohh I understand I should of made it more clear. But I was just using myself as an example because not everyone has experienced that even though there are classes that do that all the way up to collage. But I guess by creating this debate and putting in my life experience I was finding a way to vent instead of really getting my point across.. My apologies
Posted by Doulos1202 2 years ago
Doulos1202
This is a really broad statement. Not sure if you are talking about eductation experience or experience overall.
Vote Placed by HmblySkTrth 2 years ago
HmblySkTrth
BeachgirlyLudacrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made honest effort to have meaningful discussion, but Con had poor conduct from the start.
Vote Placed by Doulos1202 2 years ago
Doulos1202
BeachgirlyLudacrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con offered no argument.
Vote Placed by Sisyphus67 2 years ago
Sisyphus67
BeachgirlyLudacrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: It didn't appear Con took the time to read Pro's argument at all, he was trying to debate something that had nothing to do with Pro's topic, and when Pro pointed this out his response was that she should stop venting and get a tutor. I am embarrassed for Con, but I think he should be banned from the site.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
BeachgirlyLudacrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave reasons why the technology was getting in the way of learning. The opening argument set the context of the debate to specific circumstances. Con failed to give good reasons why Pro's case was invalid. Con mainly just claimed that computers were great, without referring to Pro's. Con could have. for example, attacked the teacher's use of computers while attempting to explain how they could have been used effectively. Con loses conduct for pointless insults.