Top three movies of all time.

List, in your opinion, the top three movies of all time. There won't actually be a pro or con to this argument. First round is to accept and to list your three movies only. Please choose three and stick to them. My three will be:
1. The Dark Knight
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. The Dark Knight Rises
Best of luck.

Well, I think that your "opinions" are quite off.

1. The Lion King (Changed my life.)
2. Toy Story
3. The Notebook (I'm sensitive.)

I think that I should get a Purple Heart for my choices.

Thank you for accepting this debate. Now, In this first round I would only like to debate your choice for the best movie of all time. Sure The Lion King is a good story and sure Timone and Pumba are entertaining, but this movie just does not posses the qualities of an all time great movie (
Qualities of a good movie:
Educative- Many of the best movies teach us something new or teach us a lesson(even if it is a lesson we already know). In The Dark Knight and The Shawshank Redemption, it is the lesson of hope, going on even when all the odds are against you. In The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR from here on out) it is the lesson of perseverance and patients. What is the lesson in The Lion King? That a lion, a meerkat and a warthog can get along? That is hardly a lesson and certainly not realistic.
The characters- A really good story has characters you can relate to. How can you relate to a warthog, or a meerkat, or even a lion. All three of my movies have characters that you can relate to in some way or another. Sure some people can't relate to Bruce Wayne in the Dark Knight Trilogy but you can relate to some of the other characters, such as Commissioner Gordan. One can also relate very well to Red in The Shawshank Redemption.
The actors- One of the most important aspects of a movie are the people who act in it. All three of my movies have arguably the greatest actor of all time: Morgan Freeman. The only really recognizable actor in The Lion King is James Earl Jones, who is even more known for doing the voice of Darth Vader.
Also another thing about The Lion King. Have you ever noticed, Timone and Pumba watch while Simba and Nala make love? Weird! Your childhood was just ruined, your welcome. The reputation of The Lion King was also tarnished when Disney went on to make The Lion King 1 1/2 and The Lion King 2, both of which were huge failures. In conclusion, The Lion King was not the greatest movie of all time because it did not contain the elements of a great movie and it had a perverted meerkat and warthog.

You said: "What is the lesson in The Lion King? That a lion, a meerkat and a warthog can get along? That is hardly a lesson and certainly not realistic."

Well, that is your opinion but here is mine.

The Lion King is a moving story of a circle of life that portrays a lion cub"s journey to adulthood and royal throne. Simba, the son of a powerful King Mufasa, grows up in a very caring family and a protected environment. He is an honored prince who is far from danger. His happy days turn into tragedy when his cunning and evil uncle Scar murders Mufasa and influences Simba to run away from the kingdom. Simba lands in a jungle where he learns to live a carefree life with friends Pumbaa the warthog and Timon the meerkat. The story rolls on for some time and takes a turn the day his father"s spirit visits him and asks him to go back and defeat the wicked Scar to repossess his Rightful Throne.

1. Realize who you are and unlock your true potential by tapping into the power of your deepest motives and values. When Simba comes to a new jungle, he enjoys the aimless life, forgetting his own true self, his glorious past, and the responsibilities to him. His internal strength and courage are lost in oblivion. He doesn"t even want to know the truth and lets the circumstances take his greatness away from him. So the lesson learnt is "you are exactly the person who you think you are.

2. Hakuna Matata, the Swahili phrase for "there are no worries", is one of the most important life lessons that one must endure during their lifetime. When Simba runs away from the kingdom, he meets two comical character Timon and Pumba, who teach him to stay away from worries (Hakuna Matata). They help him to replace his worries by to happiness, love and hope.

3. "No Worries" is an important life lesson but it should not hold us back from the truth. Simba keeps himself far from the truth in the name of "no worries". Making some intermittent visits to the past will do no harm provided they are meant for correcting the present. Simba runs away from past learning no lessons at all.

4. Some people arrive in our lives only to satisfy their own vested interests; they try to persuade us to walk on the paths of evil and petty. In a significant event, when Simba"s father Mufasa dies in the stampede in the gully. Scar accuses Simba for his death and persuades him to run away. He cleverly plots his murder and gives it the shape of and accident.

The lesson learnt is, we need to keep a safe distance from such people. They contribute in every meaningful way to diminish the sum of our happiness.

5. Having a real good friend and adviser is like having a small million things together that can transform your life with small million steady steps. Samba is a true friend who instills the realization in Simba that life is not all about living a carefree yet selfish life. Samba tells him that he was destined to be the king of the jungle to ensure peace of every animal. A wise monkey named Rafiki plays the role of a guide who enlightens him and shows him the true path to greatness. When he comes to know that Simba is alive, he states "It is the time" which means it was the high time for Simba to take over his righteous throne by killing his wicked uncle Scar.

6. Show respect, you might be superior in terms of belongings or business but everybody has self-respect and importance that bring value to the world in their own ways; therefore, they must be respected. At one point, Mufasa explains the fact of life. He says that even though they are on top of the food chain, every animal must be respected for their own dignity and contribution.

7. Deep inside we all are very powerful to accomplish great things. All we need is the realization that "I CAN Do It". Simba never thought he could be able to defeat his nefarious uncle Scar. When Samba and Rafiki show him his true potential, he rises to his greatness and kills him in the end.

8. Almost every day we develop new thoughts and we grow up with them but we shouldn"t think twice to replace or eliminate them if they are not benefiting us in any way. After arriving to a new jungle, Simba grows up with the mantra of "No Worries" (Hakuna Matata) but he changes it when he realizes that the it was holding him back from becoming his true self "The King of the Pride Land".

9. Sometimes we feel we are lost and nobody needs us, while the truth is just the opposite " they need you more than anything else even more than you to yourself. When Samba, Simba"s childhood friend, reminds him about his real place where he belonged, and convinces him to return, Simba denies saying "no one needs me." It was the time when Simba was the most crucial person to rescue "Pride Land" from Scar and Hyena who were consuming all the animals mercilessly.

10. Past really hurts but it is in our hand to run away from it or learn from it. If you run, the past will keep haunting you. We need to face the situations with courage! Simba runs away from his past but at the end, he faces it and corrects.

Now, you can't tell me those are not "educational" or "Motivational."

That is one of the most moving movies to this day not only entertaining.

I would like to point out to all viewers that my opponent copied and pasted his entire argument (minus the first three lines and the last two lines) from this website:
The educative quality of a good movie was the only one my opponent debated, therefor the other points I made go uncontested and there is no disagreement that I am right in the categories of "Characters", "Actors", and my statement that Timone and Pumba are perverted.

Now I would like to move on to the other two choices on your list.

I will first start off with The Notebook. I will admit that this is the only movie that has been discussed that I have not seen. This is mostly because I refuse to go see a meaningless chick flick that is almost exactly like the hundreds of others just like it produced each year.
From what I have read, this movie is basically the same plot as so many other movies like it. One for example is Water for Elephants; I have heard these two movies basically have the same plot, but are just set in different time periods. The basic plot of all these movies goes like this: Man and Woman meet, Man and Woman fall in love, Man and Woman are separated, Man and Woman find a way to be together and live happily ever after. Well, I am sorry, but that does not happen. These movies, which are most of the time based on books by authors that make their money by basically writing the same story over and over again with just some minor detail changes in each, in no way represent what happens in real life. In real life there isn't always those happy endings that make everyone feel so good and warm their heart. This movie, just like the last one, also does not have a lot of the big name actors like my choices do with actors such as Morgan Freeman, Heath Ledger, and Christian Bale. The only big name actor that The Notebook has is Ryan Gosling. How many Academy Awards has Ryan Gosling won? None, he has never even been nominated. How many Academy Awards has Morgan Freeman won? He has won one and been nominated for five. The next category would be characters. The movies I have listed have iconic characters such as Batman, Alfred, Commissioner Gordan and Red. In movies like The Notebook characters are only remembered until the next movie just like it is released.

Now I would like to move on to Toy Story. This is the one movie on your list that I could actually see as one of the better movies of all time, but not in the top three. Sure this is a classic and it contains some of the qualities of a good movie, but not all. Toy Story is just a feel good movie, it taught kids about friendships and that you should value them. That's it though, it teaches the same message taught by so many other movies, but Pixar just made it more entertaining. I will admit though that Toy Story does contain several of the other qualities of a good movie, but those are not at a level that should make it considered the second best movie of all time.

In conclusion, I would like to remind all viewers that my opponent copied and pasted almost his entire argument in round two and did not come up with his own thoughts. I would also like to remind them that The Notebook is just a spinoff of so many other chick flicks while my movies better display the qualities of a good movie and are more original (Note: I do realize that Batman is not original but the way these movies were done is very original). I would also like to ask all voters to remember to vote based on who had the better argument rather than your own preferences. Thank you.

McLovinit forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited. I take this to mean my arguments go uncontested and therefor there is no disagreement that I am right. Thank you to those who took the time to read this and I look forward to seeing your votes.
Vote Pro!!!

McLovinit forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Personally, I think you're both wrong. It clearly says 'top three movies of all time' Not 'the top three movies before 2013'. But you both failed to list any movies that have yet to be filmed. Better arguments goes to Pro because though Con's arguments were valid, they were plagiarized. Conduct goes to Con though, because Pro assumes that forfeiting a round is an automatic win for him, which it is not necessarily the case.