Judy-Jang
EthanHuOnDebateOrg

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is important for people to learn th

Judy-Jang

Judy-Jang

Pro

Do you know this popular expression? When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When I first heard this, I thought it's very weird. However now I noticed it has very close relation with today's topic. There are many debate between this topic, but in my opinion, it is necessary to learn customs of country where someone will visit first. It's because we can adapt, communicate and can have good perspective in foreign country.
To begin with, we can adjust in that country. For example, the Spanish do not put a lot of emphasis on punctuality and may often be late for appointment. In addition, business clothes there are more formal more conservative than in many other European countries. If you wear shorts in spain in public, you could be looked as crazy person. To adapt in foreign country, we should learn their custom.
Secondly, we can speak with foreigners well. For example, Mike is very hungry and he decided to eat sandwich. He goes to bakery and ask for sandwich. However, he can't speak English well so he just say "san-de-wi-che " Clerk cannot understand what he want so just say " We don't have san-de-wi-che here" Learning simple language of country before going to trip is very necessary.
Last, we can have good view point in other country. Let's give an example of India. India eats curry with hand and cleanse dung with hand too. If we don't know about India, we can have bad perspective of India people; dirty. However if we learn about their custom, we can have better point of view.
In brief, I think it is very important to learn custom of country when we first visit because we can adjust, talk and can have positive viewpoint about country. Then, how about searching some information about country where you will visit in this summer vacation?

To voters and debator..
Well, I'm middle school student in Korea so I just can write round 1 and 1000 characters. Also, I do not have enough skills. Sorry but I hope you will understand me
EthanHuOnDebateOrg

Con

As my opponent fails to specify the accurate explicit resolution, I will take it by inference that she means to debate on whether or not it is important to abide by foreign customs when visiting. As such, I will provide the brief definition of the following:

1> Important: of much or great significance or consequence [1]

Preface:
Now, as my opponent unfairly presents us with the specification of merely 2000 characters for only 1 round, I will be forced to devote most of these characters for refutations.

=Adjustment?=
Indeed, she states that adjusting to a country is 'important' and of great significance. Now, the latter point that she brings up concerning foreign customs and adaptation is all very well when taking into consideration the whole of the societal context, but 'being looked upon as a crazy person' would not be of ggreat significance or consequence.

The subjective opinions of individuals in a foreign country would never be able to claim objective status for themselves in society, and thus would never have a tangible effect on consequences or results. Furthermore, it would not be under my BoP to testify against adjustment, merely that doing so is not absolutely 'important', for which I have done.

=Language=
Now, I would like to point out immediately that the concern of foreign language is not in any manner affected by my subjective choice to adapt, for it would be an inherent ability I either do or do not possess. It would not be in my capability, therefore, to strive to speak the language, if I did not have previous knowledge of it. As such, we find her argument invalid.

=Viewpoint=
Again, having such a good viewpoint is all well, but the latter definitely does not provide us with a matter of great significance or consequence, and thus is irrelevant to the debate.

Indeed, as my opponent provides only subjunctive and vague arguments that fail to support even her own position of the topic, we find that my position is vindicated, and I urge a CON vote.
Posted by Judy-Jang 5 years ago
Judy-Jang
Oops!!! The topic was
'Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is important for people to learn the customs of a country when they first visit.'
Sorry...I made a big mistake
Posted by stinkbomb 5 years ago
stinkbomb
Because CON messaged me saying that my vote was unfair, I decided to change it to the above for the reason:

RFD:
Because PRO had a language problem, conduct goes to her, while CON actually had a source. Also, Because CON messaged me telling me that my vote was unfair and that it would be unfair for me to vote for CON because of his actual bad performance, that is why I decided to vote as I did. He told me that it would be more fair if I voted more fairly, and that is why I decided to do that.
Posted by stinkbomb 5 years ago
stinkbomb
Spelling and Grammar: CON won because of obvious mistakes on PRO's part. Conduct: Because PRO proposed a 1 round debate and only 2000 characters, that is bad conduct and unfair.. thus will go to CON. Arguments: CON showed that PRO's arguments were invalid because of round-about arguments that didn't get to the point. Sources: PRO didn't have ANY, while CON provided one. Good debate, but also S&G because CON didn't even post a full resolution.
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
Noob sniping much?
Posted by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
"Pro, congrats on beating one of ddo's strongest debaters."

Oops! I thought con was LordKnuckle for some reason. Still, con is a fairly strong debater.
Posted by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
The resolution was wether or not it is important to learn about the cultures of other nations. Pro brought up several points: 1) Viewpoint is different thus we may get a different and negative perspective of a culture if we don't know the historical significance, 2) We may think of someone as being rude when not being punctual when in fact, it is the norm.

Con, in my opinion, failed to adaquetly refute the contentions brought forth by pro. Con straw-maned Pro's arguments thus,in reality, made the irrelevant posts.

Pro gets the conduct point due to CON'S attempt at noob sniping and the language barrier pro overcame.

Pro, congrats on beating one of ddo's strongest debaters.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
The debate title is limited to 40 characters, which catches new debaters. The resolution was made clear by the first sentence.

This was interesting. Pro had some problems with English, and Con tried to use sophisticated English by contrast. However, Pro ultimately was a lot easier to understand than Con. Note "subjunctive" > "subjective." Con should strive for simple, direct language.

Pro should always put an extra space after each paragraph. It makes it easier to read. In such a short debate it's not so important as in longer debates.

Con's rebuttals where just asserting that obviously important things were unimportant. complaining about the character limits is close to a conduct violation -- just don't accept if you don't like the conditions.

One round debates are not very good; it's better to have some back-and-forth arguments.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
What is "th"??????
Posted by EthanHuOnDebateOrg 5 years ago
EthanHuOnDebateOrg

[1]: www.dictionary.com
EthanHuOnDebateOrg
so... you want to argue whether or not we should adapt to foreign customs, right?
Vote Placed by stinkbomb 5 years ago
stinkbomb
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD: comments. However, by CON's request, I changed it to the above, because he messaged telling me it was unfair.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct goes to the con since the pro had a terrible debate resolution but con could not show how it is better to not learn the customs of a foreign country one is traveling to beforehand...
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: Analysis in comments.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: It seems impossible to refute the proposition that one is better off learning the customs of a foreign country, and indeed Con failed to do so. Pro's contentions were simple and understandable. I'm not sure what con was saying. Pro says a person will appear crazy. Con grants the point but says it is of no consequence -- but obviously it is. I cannot parse Con's language argument. If Con didn't like the character limit, he shouldn't accept the debate,
Vote Placed by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: san-de-wi-che!!!!
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
Judy-JangEthanHuOnDebateOrgTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro for the language barrier she overcame. Arguments to Con who showed her arguments to be shallow and unspecific.