Torvald
NDECD1441

Torvald is not back

Torvald has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Torvald

Pro

Torvald was a notorious member of the Debate.org community around five years ago, but then one day he vanished without a trace. Now there are rumours Torvald may have returned. Either Torvald has returned, or Torvald has not returned. It will be the role of the pro to demonstrate or establish that Torvald has not returned. It will be the role of the con to demonstrate or establish that Torvald has returned.
NDECD1441

Con

There is hardly a known way that an account can be removed unless by staff. This way even if someone has been offline for a long time, the account will be still there only not showing any recent activity. Just in case there were any more "Torvalds" I did a search on the name of Torvald and I found only the person who has made this debate less than 6 days ago. Checked his account and he was active in other debates as well. I have come to the conclusion that the person who i am debating against is indeed Torvald and he is, if he even vanished, back. If, in advance, Torvald is would like to say that "Torvald" dissappeared 5 years ago, then I would like to remind him that this debate is not about whether he vanished for 5 years but whether or not, after vanishing, Torvald is back.

Overall, my point in a nutshell basically states that my opponent is Torvald and the fact that he is now reading this argument and is about to propose his argument proves the Torvald is indeed "back".
Torvald

Pro

Yeah like I said in the comments, there isn't really a way for me, Torvald, to prove that I, Torvald, am not back. But if I really wanted to wriggle and try to escape my inevitable fate here are some points that I could make:

A) There is no way to verify that the person using this account now is the original Torvald; I might be using the Torvald account but I might be someone else, not Torvald.
B) Whether I were or were not Torvald, the account may have never been 'gone', only inactive, in that I could have logged on to my account on a daily basis and perused the website without contributing (this is the most worthless point that can be made).
C) Some users may still recall, though probably not, a debate from a few years back in which I was recognised as having proved, from a materialist standpoint, that as a 'person' is an entity composed of a series of complex chemical and electrochemical reactions which bears a mantle of identity but at any given point is comprised of different physical materials than they previous have been, and thus is at no given point the same 'person' as previously: if we are to accept this as still true, then I am Torvald but not the Torvald who used the account before nor the Torvald who wrote the opening sentences of the debate, thus Torvald cannot be back because Torvald ceased to exist as soon as he ceased to be the same combination of materials.

Obviously this is a debate for fun more than a dazzling battle of wits (though you can dazzle me if you want to), but if I wanted to wax philosophical those are probably the points I would make, and if you, the con, wanted to also feel somewhat satisfied about this debate, you could try to refute them (though admittedly it's not enough rounds for a philosophical debate, probably not even for a satisfying debate).

Not related but do you know how much a pirate pays for earrings?
NDECD1441

Con

To answer your bonus question, it is around a buck an ear.

In the comments section, you pretty much agreed that you are THE Torvald and for the opening statement you made, you said "I, Torvald" which basically gives the idea that you pretty much are Torvald the formerly missing. To add on, the only way to log in to another person's account is by giving a gmail and password both which should be unknown to anybody but the owner him/herself. 5 years is a long time by the way, so if Torvald has indeed disappeared 5 years ago, the gadget that he used would have been old and corroded and thrown away so you can't tell me he didn't log out. This way, it all sums up to the fact that YOU are Torvald.

Still with the wit though. You definitely are Torvald
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
Yeh kind of like that. And I had a good match too.
Posted by Torvald 1 year ago
Torvald
It's a bit frustrating, if they are going to take the site offline I think they should adjust the timers on all the debates so that people aren't forced to forfeit by something out of their hands.
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
I forfeited 2 debates because of that
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
Oh wow you too? I experienced the same thing! I thought it was my WIFI or something.
Posted by Torvald 1 year ago
Torvald
I am not sure if anyone else experienced this, but I have not been able to access the site for around four days now. I apologise for forfeiting, it wasn't deliberate, but we all know how this would have turned out anyway. I guess there is no accounting for error 305, but it was a nice debate while it lasted
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
Well, he forfeited anyway
Posted by Ijawabi 1 year ago
Ijawabi
Gotta say that I'm probably gonna go with Torvald on this one. While the opposition does make a fair argument, there's just no saying if Torvald is back or not. So, to the pro of this debate, Torvald, good argument. Good job.
Posted by Torvald 1 year ago
Torvald
Yes, I doubt I can win this debate but it's worth a try
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
That your user. That is the winning point considering that you are now reading this comment.
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
YOU are torvald.