RussellMania741
jo154676

Touch ID (Iphone)

jo154676 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 12/16/2016 Category: Technology
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

RussellMania741

Pro

A lot of people are afraid to use the touch ID Iphone because they feel it is insecure. In this debate I will prove that touch ID is secure. i also believe that everyone should be using it. I have studied the technology, so I have a lot of expertise in this area and have studied this technology thoughly. This debate applies to the Iphone only, not the android touch ID. I am awaiting a good challenge.
jo154676

Con

It is in fact not secure, apple has already handed over touch id information to the NSA based on "red flags" in your text history. The technology was origninally made by the government and they gave it to apple provided that apple would share access to the information with the fbi, dhs, and NSA. (http://theracketreport.com...) Therefore the touch ID on the iphone is not secure and you are at risk if you use it.
RussellMania741

Pro

I spent a lot of time researching this class action lawsuite you were talking about, and came up empty. I first tried a Google search; I found many links to other class action lawsuits againts Apple, but not the one you were talking about. I even went to the class action lawsuite (classaction.org) website and still couldn't find the lawsuite you were talking about. If you have any more sources (news articles), I'm happy to take a look at it.

For argument sake, I'm going to assume that this article is true. Touch ID does not store your finger print or DNA. The only thing Touch ID stores a mathematical representation of your finger print. Your finger print data is encrypted and only available to Enslave. Enslave is isolated from the rest of the chip. Your finger print data is not stored in the cloud, Apps, IOS, or on Apple servers. If Apple doesn't have access to your finger print data, then it's impossible for Apple to comply with the NSA. Getting Apple to comply with the NSA is like getting a VPN provider that doesn't store logs, to produce what they don't have. The only way to hack Touch ID and retrieve their finger print data is to have physical access to the device. The secure enslave also protects your finger print data with strong encryption.

Security features of Touch ID
1. Passcode has to be entered ever time the phone reboots.
2. Passcode has to be entered every 48 hours
3. If you want to change Touch ID & Passcode settings a passcode is required
4. When download an app from the Apple Store, a passcode is required. After your first purchase, you may use Touch ID to download additional apps. After 24-48 hours a passcode is required again
5. Touch ID is sensitive, 5 incorrect tries and you have to enter your password again.

When you use Touch ID for all your passwords, you can create longer and more complex passwords hassle free. Not only can you use Touch ID to manage all your passwords, password managers also Work with Touch ID, so it's really convenient. I'll be the first to admit, I was notorious for having the weakest passwords. I had the same password for my bank account, email, credit card, etc. All my accounts got hacked. Now that I use Touch ID, I can have a complex password (16-24) random characters for each account. My IPhone password is 12 characters. I also have the setting to wipe phone after 10 failed tries. It would take forever to hack the phone because the counter has to keep being reset.

According to a consumer survey: Password Habits, a large amount of users have poor password habits. Over 61% use the same password on multiple websites. Keep in mind, this is just one statistic.

http://www.csid.com...

If using Touch ID helps you to adopt healthy password habits, then Touch ID would make you more secure; If you returned to your old password habits after getting rid of Touch ID; you should have kept Touch ID because having weaker passwords will be easier for hackers to hack.
jo154676

Con

I will not argue that people use weak passwords, or that touch id may help those people have more secure passwords, but the topic of this debate is the security of the touch id. There have been numerous stories of people using fake finger prints made from molds that have successfuly broken into the touch id (https://www.cnet.com... , https://techcrunch.com...). But this is not the full extent of the problem, that can happen when being interrogated by police or other agencies who would previously have to get a password from you, but now they can just take your hand and hold it on the scanner, or use a finger print that they already have scanned from you to access the phone without your permission.

The security features you mention are valid, however they could cause the user an annoyance and if a user relies on the touch id for too long then they could forget the password and have to reset their phone (happened to my brother). When you use touch id for ALL of your passwords that leaves you exposed if someone is able to make a copy of your fingerprint. You mention the 61% of people using the password and then encourage people to use the touch id for everything which I just found ironic.
RussellMania741

Pro

The most common concern is that law enforcement can compel you to give up your fingerprint. I have found a loophole in the law. Law enforcement can not compel you to give up your passcode. You can give them your fingerprint, but a passcode will still be required to unlock your phone. If they ask you for your passcode, you don't have to give it to them. If your really in a pinch, you can use the wrong finger and after 5 tries, your fingerprint will no longer work. You can do it really quick like in 3 seconds. It doesn't take long to lock out your phone (tap power button), then tap power button really fast; Now your fingerprint wont work and your passcode will be required. I am actually shocked that nobody has ever mentioned this.

Even if someone has your fingerprint, they still need your phone to hack into your Touch ID. If your phone is lost or stolen, you can remotely lock and wipe everything off your phone. If your phone is lost or stolen, 99% of the time, they will run to the nearest pawn shop and sell your phone for quick cash.

Their is one more reason why I feel that Touch ID is secure; Apple doesn't give in to law enforcement. I'm sure you remember when the FBI tried to get Apple to weaken their encryption and build a backdoor in their IOS. Tim Cook even ignored a court order. The FBI finally gave up and paid a hacker 1 million dollars to get into their phone. In Apples next update, they increase the password length, so now its a lot harder to hack into the IPhone.

I admit security is annoying and that's why so many people have weak passwords across multiple accounts; Touch ID is only annoying because Apple sometimes will require a passcode and your fingerprint won't work, but that is what makes Touch ID secure. Sometimes you may even wash your hands, and accidentally lock it out.

Please keep in mind this debate only applies to Touch ID on Apple.