Logical-Master
parothead13

Tournament Topic #8: Computers are more beneficial to education than books.

Started: 4/15/2008 Category: Technology

Logical-Master

Pro

Good afternoon. In today's case, I shall prove beyond the notion of a doubt that computers are more beneficial to education than books.

Let us start by examining a few crucial definitions which I feel may present a problem in this debate (which are both provided by Merriam Webster's dictionary):

Definition 1: Beneficial: 1 : conferring benefits : conducive to personal or social well-being 2 : receiving or entitling one to receive advantage, use, or benefit

Definition 2: Education: 1 a: the action or process of educating or of being educated; also : a stage of such a process b: the knowledge and development resulting from an educational process 2: the field of study that deals mainly with methods of teaching and learning in schools.

Observation: One must note that education isn't merely limited to schools; one can be educated without being involved with a formal institution. Furthermore, one is being educated when they are inheriting knowledge and developing mentally (as suggested by the definition). Any action which causes individuals to inherit knowledge and develop mentally is to be considered education during this debate.

Onto to my arguments:

CONTENTION 1) COMPUTERS HAVE THE INTERNET:

a) Research: With it, students (or people who just wish to educate themselves) have been able to speedily gather information they wanted at their own leisure; one merely needs type in a brief description of the information (on a search engine or online database) which they need and in no time, they will have access to it. It is far more time consuming to go to a physical library, look for books that may POSSIBLY help out in research, and spend hours searching for pieces of information inside the countless pages of books. Clearly, when comparing both methods of research, one has the bigger advantage in using the Internet via computer.

b) Interactivity: When using the Internet via computer, one has the ability to educate themselves by carrying out thought provoking discussions/debates with other individuals. This website is proof of that. Furthermore, online/offline games such as online/offline chess and checkers serve as means of developing oneself mentally as well as giving one knowledge of how to think tactically, hence are a means of education. This is yet another advantage which computers have other books as actions like these cannot even be performed via books.

c) Films: Through using the Internet, one has the ability to watch entire films, as well as listen to radio clips. This is highly beneficial as there are many education films and radio clips. In fact, many of these are difficult to locate in the physical world, much less impossible to locate inside a book. Once more, a clear advantage which makes computers more beneficial to education than books.

d) Updates: Whereas books can have their information updated every year or decade, Internet authors don't have to go through all the trouble of publishing and such and can update their information instantly. Thus, there is the potential for more accurate information when using the Internet via computer.

e) Institutionalized classes (especially for colleges) can be taught via Internet, via computer. Many education institutions have classes that are strictly conducted through the Internet. This way, students who cannot afford to make it to the physical classes at the usual scheduled times or individuals who are disabled have a much easier time at attending class and being educated. Not that it needs to be said, but books possess no such advantage.

Basically, the Internet provides significant advantages which books cannot even come close to reproducing or competing with when it comes to education.

CONTENTION 2) COMPUTERS CAN STORE MORE INFORMATION THAN BOOKS: Whereas it may seem long for a book to possess thousands of pages, one computer has access to (and can hold) an exponential amount of information (in comparison). In fact, with the Internet, one computer can be more beneficial than one billion books combined.

CONTENTION 3) DVD CAPABILITIES: One can purchase educational DVDs and watch them on their computer. This differs from previous film point as I was referring to films which had to be found on the Internet. In any case, yet another advantage which computers have over books when it comes to education.

CONTENTION 4) CALCULATOR FUNCTIONS: Most computers come with Calculator software. As real world calculators benefit math students and mathematicians through making it easier and less time consuming to solve complex equations, computer calculators can do the same. Once more, and advantage which one doesn't have with a book.

CONTENTION 5) WORD PROCESSOR: Through using a computer, one can work on their writing skills (hence educate themselves) a seemingly infinite number of times through using a word processor (whether it be Word pad, notepad, Microsoft word, etc). This can also benefit students who need to type out essays. Can this be done through a book? Of course not.

For these reasons, a computer is obviously more beneficial to education than a book is (especially when it comes to self-education). We must note that although books were great educational tools of the past, they are (for the most post) vastly outdated when compared to the educational capabilities of a computer.

Of course, there are more advantages which a computer has over a book, but I feel no need to mention them (not just because I've listed the primary advantages) as I guarantee you that my opponent will unknowingly end up exposing these other advantages when he presents his case.

I now stand ready for CON's case/rebuttal.
parothead13

Con

parothead13 forfeited this round.
Logical-Master

Pro

Extend my entire case to this round.

To add, another way in which computers can be beneficial to education is the fact that one can register for college classes or particular colleges which they wish to attend. Once more, an advantage which a book doesn't even come close to reproducing.
parothead13

Con

sorry about dropping this debate i've had a lot of things going on this week. ps grocer stores dont have cheeseburgers and they are the best food there for a single cheese burger is better than a whole grocer store
Logical-Master

Pro

That's okay. I agree that your real life should be held above these mental exercises on debate.org. Perhaps we'll debate in the future. :)

Judges: My opponent admits to dropping this debate, thus, your only option is to vote PRO. Thank you for reading. Later.
parothead13

Con

judges you do only have one option sorry for waisting your time and hopefully it isnt to valuable cause i dont have much money on hand : )
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Policy debate is a GAME ultimately. I think his main problem was that he was more interested in advocating things that he already believe in. Myself, I am more interested in working on logical loopholes and advocacies for situations that don't necessarily agree with me.

Though, I think that guy would have been a far shot happier if he had discovered Kritiks, then he could have advocated whatever he wanted all the time.

Check this out, amazing debate:
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I would disagree with that as I'm referring to the potential of the status quo. This doesn't necessarily conflict with the resolution.

However, even if it does, I could counter by pointing out that most of these books are currently created with crucial involvement of a computer system in one form or another. Whether it be the computer system which automatically handles the mass production of these books or the author merely typing most of the book in it's original form via computer. Thus, the thanks would still go to the computers.

By the way, I would like to know what you think of this vid:
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Okay. I'll respond now. I agree with everything you say, however I also agree with the idea that you are going off of a potential education argument in a hypothetical situation. However the resolution states that "are more beneficial" meaning status quo.

As the status quo stands more people can afford to buy books, and more people do buy books, therefor the book in our current situation is used more for education purposes and furthers education more than the computer does.

This does not change the fact that the computer used properly could do a world more than a book, but such a statement does not disprove the resolution.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
Was being lazy and nearly forgot about this topic.

Anyway, first I would like you to clarify on how the pluralization of computers and books suggest that popularity is built in and acknowledged in this resolution.

Second, when buying a large number of books, there comes a great deal of inconvenience when one has to sort through all of these books to find information (something which a computer has no such limit in since it can find information instantly). Furthermore, as suggested earlier, computers contain more information than 10,000 books combined. In fact (and if possible), it would cost far more money to purchase enough books to equate to the potential amount of info which a computer has than to simply purchase a computer (a cheap one at that).

Moving on, even if we take being able to buy many books in comparison to being able to buy a computer, the fact of the matter is that the potential for education is still superior when using a single computer. But alas, I shall demonstrate with an analogy. Let us say that the resolution is phrased as "Paddle boats are more beneficial to boating from point a to point B than speed boats are." Although paddle boats are much cheaper, it's of no doubt that the speed boats can move much faster."

As for personal preference, I believe it can be excluded here as personal preference often deals with subjective reasoning. In relation to the topic (and to schools), personal preference boils down to factors that don't really concern potential education . . . but I'm too tired to continue at the moment, so perhaps when you respond.
Posted by lumpyballsIV 8 years ago
lumpyballsIV
Computers on the internet also provide you with information that can be false, for education i would go with books. Books brand new or even a couple years old can be 100% more reliable than getting a web page with false information. When you are looking for information most students just copy and paste and dont even realize what they are copying is false. Another thing about computers is how they distract kids from learning. Our high school has laptops and EVERY day kids are told to get off of games or to stop watching videos. Computers require constant upgrading and fixing and last time i checked you dont need to upgrade or install anti virus software on a book?..?
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
But we are examining ad populum here because this resolution takes into account computerS and bookS in general.

Thus if costs result in a larger number of books being bought over computers and books being utilized more for educational purposes than computers the educational effect of the books will be greater.

Same goes with personal preference. If books are having more of an impact due to personal preference they are non-the-less having more of an impact.
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Yeah someone did say that, I suppose I might change my vote to you in a little bit.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I suppose I'll confess. One of those votes for parothead13 is mine. =D
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
@ PublicForumG: lol, yeah, I was kidding.

@ Yraelz: lol, didn't someone say that on one of your debates?
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
Ah, I see. Two problems in that approach though.

1) "Beneficial" excludes cost.

2) The third contention is clearly ad populam.
Vote Placed by Tatarize 7 years ago
Tatarize
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by vamsi 8 years ago
vamsi
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by jiffy 8 years ago
jiffy
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by GenEd 8 years ago
GenEd
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by Zeldafan69 8 years ago
Zeldafan69
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by livi 8 years ago
livi
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied
Vote Placed by VenomousNinja 8 years ago
VenomousNinja
Logical-Masterparothead13Tied