Mycroft
LatentDebater

Toy weapons promote violence

Mycroft

Pro

Toy weapons promote violence. Is this a valid point or not? The usual rules apply (common courtesy.)
I would like to first define the motion by elaborating on the key points. Of course, by "toy weapons" I am mainly targeting plastic guns and swords, while the "violence" aspect of the motion is addressing the younger generation, and their exposure to dangerous tools that can cause a lot of pain and suffering.
I am eager to hear from my opposition, and look forward to a good debate. (Even though it may be slightly silly!)
LatentDebater

Con

The burden of proof is on you.

Please present your case.
Mycroft

Pro

It is a well known fact that children have trouble separating what is real and what is not. This will be the main focal point of my argument, and will be mentioned in further detail later. I will make two main points, the fact that not only does it desensitize the child to violence, but it also glorifies and promotes crime and violence.
In the United states, for over 80 years ranging from 1920 onwards, the top selling toy for the male demographic was a toy weapon and/or an action figure dressed in army uniform. It is undeniable that the war had a drastic effect on the market for this product, but does this not show us that these weapons exemplify male dominance and glorify violence? We all know of the horrors of war, but the fact that children are being introduced to this at such a young age is having a dramatic effect on them, as would an education toy.
While it is the parents job to keep their children away from such toys, it still desensitizes the child to violent television programs and video games. In the end, they will only want more of the same, aggressive media. This in turn will result in far more crime throughout the streets.
Action has already been taken by Mexico in a bid to reduce crime rates! Does this not show us that it is obviously something that affects multiple nations? In the end, it is evident that toy guns do indeed subject the child to intense periods of time using a toy that is a dangerous weapon in real life.
I await my opponents arguments eagerly and will elaborate further on my points in the next round.

(Video showing the above)
LatentDebater

Con

"It is a well known fact that children have trouble separating what is real and what is not." Prove to me that with an ounce of certainty you can know what is real and what is not. Otherwise this point is irrelevant as it applies to adults too (it applies to everyone).

What is apparent is that it appears that a far more likely cause of the desensitization of the children to war and violence was due the fact that they were raised in a war era s opposed to the fact that they coincidentally happened to purchase more war figures than usual during this period in history.

You haven't met your burden of proof at all as the rest of your argument is mere assertions backed up by no evidence.
Mycroft

Pro

Mycroft forfeited this round.
LatentDebater

Con

Pro had full BOP and failed to prove, to slightest extent, that toy weapons promote violence.

Thus I win.