sllewuy
brittwaller

Tracy Mc Grady is the biggest waste of money in the NBA

Started: 11/1/2009 Category: Sports

sllewuy

Pro

Tracy Mcgrady in my opinion is the biggest waste of money in the NBA.
Tracy Mcgrady has been worth $63million for the past 3 years (including this year) and he is the biggest waste of money that a franchise as sad as the Rockets has had to spend on a player.
Why?
Reason 1: Tracy Mcgrady has not been able to finish a complete season in his entire tenure with the Houston Rockets. This season Tracy will be making the most money in the NBA ($23,239,561) and he is expected to miss at least half the season to recover from his injury last year. Tracy Mcgrady played 35 games last year and he made almost 20million dollars doing it, an NBA season consists of 82 games.

Reason 2: Tracy McGrady has been unable to lead the Rockets to anywhere near a championship in the time hes spent with them. Every time the Rockets have made the playoffs they reach the 1st round and then faced a humiliating defeat. Blowing 2-0 leads and 3-1 leads. Last year when the Rockets finally passed the first round of an NBA playoff series was when Mcgrady was unable to perform.

When a franchise pays a player that much money they expect a leader, a great performer, and a guy who will sell the tickets. Mcgrady has completely failed to live up to these expectations put on him and he has done it in a fashion that far surpasses any other player. McGrady is about to leach about 40 million dollars away from the Rockets. This man is making 40 million dollars to sit on his butt and rub his hurt knee. Tracy Mcgrady is not the only leach in the NBA but he is the worst leach.

I thank whoever takes this debate
http://hoopshype.com...
http://sports.yahoo.com...
http://www.insidehoops.com...
brittwaller

Con

Thanks to my opponent for posting.

I negate the resolution "Tracy Mc Grady is the biggest waste of money in the NBA."

My opponent argues that this is so because:

1) "Tracy Mcgrady has not been able to finish a complete season in his entire tenure with the Houston Rockets."
2) "Tracy McGrady has been unable to lead the Rockets to anywhere near a championship in the time he's spent with them."

While both of these statements in themselves are undoubtedly correct, that does not mean that he is a "waste of money," much less the largest waste in the NBA. McGrady, of course, has a contract. The contract requires certain things be done on his part. If either of the objections that my opponent has raised were contractual obligations, then the contract would be void. While McGrady may be overpaid in a general sense, the same sense that most high-profile professional athletes are, he has kept his end of the deal he made with the Rockets when he signed with them, thus there is no waste. That is, the Rockets knew that injuries occur and still decided to pay him this much, so by their own logic he is worth what he is paid whether he is on the court, on the bench, in the locker room, or in the stands.

Consider it this way: You buy a used automobile for $60K and will make payments over three years to the former owner. The automobile has a history of performing well in races. However, every time you are about to race the car yourself, mechanical problems occur and not only do you not place in the races, you do not even make it to the finish line. This happens repeatedly over the course of the three years you are paying for the car, and every time you sign a payment check you grimace.

Does this mean that the car is not worth the money you paid for it? No. You had decided, based on past performance, that the car was worth the amount you paid for it when you bought it. Just as the Rockets did when they signed the McGrady's contract. Neither had a factory warranty.

Does this mean that the car is a waste of money? No. The car did well in the past, and if its mechanical difficulties are dealt with and corrected, it may do well again. In other words, the potential for success remains even in the face of mechanical problems, or as in McGrady's case, injuries.

McGrady is not a waste of money. He is simply injured.
sllewuy

Pro

The term waste is defined by google as "spend thoughtlessly; throw away"

The Rockets investment on Tracy Mcgrady can be perfectly defined in this way. They clearly were not thinking long and hard when they signed McGrady or had any idea that his injuries would set him back for so long. Let's be real here who would pay anybody 20million dollars for 3 years to sit on the bench? It doesn't sound to me that the Rockets were having that in mind.

My opponent has also compared this situation to buying a car. Well the example is in fact a waste of money whenever you buy a broken product it means you've wasted your money.

"Does this mean that the car is a waste of money? No. The car did well in the past, and if its mechanical difficulties are dealt with and corrected, it may do well again. In other words, the potential for success remains even in the face of mechanical problems, or as in McGrady's case, injuries."

First of all you cannot compare Tracy Mcgrady to a car it is not the same thing. A car's parts can be replaced and fixed. Tracy Mcgrady is a professional athlete and the effectiveness of a professional athlete usually does not last after the time of youth passes, stamina gets weaker, physical abilities start to decline like speed, strength, jumping height, and his bones will stay fragile. Tracy Mcgrady is pushing 30 and his skills have already started to decline. Also to note in my opponents example the person making this investment will most likely keep the car if he pays it off. Tracy Mcgrady on the other hand is seeing his contract expire after this year and he is already expected to miss at least half the season to recover from surgery then he will probably miss more games this season to get in shape. Tracy Mcgrady might not even be a Houston Rocket next year so he basically just sat on his butt for 2 seasons raking in their money. So correcting the problem will most likely not benefit the Houston Rockets as his future will them is not even guaranteed.

So seeing the facts at hand McGrady is about to steal 40 million dollars from the Houston Rockets and even if he heals from his injury it will take him another year to be effective and when he is, His time with the Houston Rockets would have expired and he is free to sign with any team he wants. The Rockets are in a state of rebuilding right now and they are no longer a championship contender so the chances of an aging McGrady even deciding to sign back with the Rockets is unlikely.

http://www.faniq.com... Title of article: "T-Mac done, Houston done, Relationship Done."
brittwaller

Con

brittwaller forfeited this round.
sllewuy

Pro

Like I said before Tracy Mcgrady takes up too much of the Rockets Salary room by not performing. He missed half the season last year and hes going miss half this year and still his 40-43million dollar contract is still guaranteed to him. He is a waste of money. This is not what the Rockets were expecting when they made this deal with him. My opponent in the first round said that McGrady is getting help so that he can reach his potential and be a sound investment when he returns. First of all Mcgrady even IF Mcgrady makes a recovery from this injury it still doesn't take away the fact that he got paid for 3 years for sitting on the bench. IF Mcgrady's contract was not expiring this year and even if he chooses to sign back with the rockets and vice versa. The Rockets will never get that 60 somewhat million back from his 3 years of non performance after that extension was made, but worse they would have to give him an entirely new contract so in anyway you can possibly view this scenario Rockets lose 40million from a man who is too much of a sissy to play with his injury. I am not being harsh their have been many cases where players play with injuries. Its not even an injury anymore its a healing process that takes him months to recover from.
Example: Gale Sayers came back right after his knee surgery. Football is a lot more intense than basketball where there are people intentionally trying to break your body.

If Tracy Mcgrady is not playing not doing his job and STILL getting paid he is obviously wasting the Rockets money.
Its like if you paid me 20 bucks to mow your lawn, we shook hands, you handed me the money and I took a dump on your lawn and left your house. You just lost 20 bucks and your going to either have to mow the lawn yourself or find a new person to mow it. This scenario is a scam and the person getting scammed obviously was not thinking clearly when paying me. Tracy Mcgrady takes a dump on the Rockets every time he goes to a rockets game FOR FREE, Sits on the bench as he enjoys not having to do anything on the Rockets dime.

Pictures of a man apparently worth 60million dollars.
http://sports.yahoo.com... This man looks hurt he can barely walk...
http://sports.yahoo.com... Everybody's dream job paid to do nothing

VOTE FOR PRO
brittwaller

Con

brittwaller forfeited this round.
Posted by brittwaller 7 years ago
brittwaller
wtf? Never seen so much interest, but seriously sllewuy, you should've gone ahead and voted for yourself.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
What I would have done is say this:

"Tracy Mcgrady has been worth $63million for the past 3 years (including this year) and he is the biggest waste of money"
Contradiction. That is his whole salary. Pro concedes that Tracy Mcgrady is worth his whole salary, and therefore that he is not a waste of money. Since Pro concedes I win.

:P
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
Please dont be one of those butts who abuse the literal meaning of words to win. Ive seen alot of butts on this site like guys who would go
"Biggest" technically he is not the biggest person in the nba
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Course I'd only do it to be a smartass, and the debate would get a little bit away from basketball :).
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
You thank WHOEVER takes this debate for whatever reason?

If so I might just take this.
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
I think i just wanted to rant instead of debate. I freaking hate mcgrady wasted my pick in fantasy nba picking up this garbage.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Agree with Pro lol