Traditional schooling is better than online schooling

I think that traditional schooling is obsolete and archaic. I went through a public brick and mortar school k-12 also had the experience of continuing education through a local( and very expensive) university and an accredited online school of design. I couldn't help but notice that this new style of learning filled in all the potholes and roadblocks that I repeatedly faced while trying to learn at a physical school.
Traditional school was full of one distraction after the other- have to wake up and wait for bus. It took over an hour from when I got to the bus stop to when the bell rang and I could finally get to learning( a HUGE waste of time waiting along side with other kids that may or may not even have had any interest in learning). To continue breaking up the learning process; students had to get all their stuff back together, leave that room they were in to swim through a sea of other kids, visit a locker to pick books to get to the next room every hour to learn different subject matter every hour. If your school was anything like mine- in between class was pandemonium and took me out of any learning mode. Why not just have the teachers get up and move to the next room? At these establishments you are limited to their schedules and availability.
Which leads me to my next point- bullies. It is important to learn social behavior, pecking order and coping skills for physically dealing with other people- but not in a schoolhouse that should be teaching anything else. There are plenty of after school clubs and programs set up to compete with each other to sort all of that out (i.e. football, soccer, girls/boys clubs and endless others). Online communities are preferred and just as easy if not easier to collaberate with peers. You are no longer limited to drawing from just what they have available in the classroom. The internet is a much deeper and better suited well to draw from because it doesn't have these limitations.
Finally, after spending another hour of wasted life getting back home, I had at least two hours of schoolwork to do there. I would argue that if the goal was to get kids thinking outside of school, bring learning into the home and lean on the parents- we should keep it there primarily.
I understand that my personal experience with public school is different(super long bus rides, dodging bullies, worrying about who the most popular person was or who had the best clothes and many other stresses that don't help learning) than everyone else but I am sure we can all agree that what we have been doing needs to be re-evaluated as a whole.

Thank you for starting an interesting debate topic and let the games begin.

I"ll start off with a bit of framework for this debate.

First, keep in mind that we are talking about the value of online vs. traditional schooling as a whole, which means all aspects of each educational system are considered and the impact for all students is taken into account.
Second, based on your arguments, I"m assuming that we"re only focusing on K-12 here, so that"s where I"d like to keep this debate.

Now for my arguments in favor of traditional schooling:

1. Lack of Social Interaction
Traditional schooling teaches students a lot of important things, but social skills are some of the most important. In a classroom setting, students are forced into social contact with other students, many of whom they wouldn"t talk to in any other circumstance. This allows students to learn more about people different from themselves and broadens their worldview. In addition to this, traditional schooling builds teamwork skills by assigning group projects that students have to collaborate on. These teamwork skills cannot be taught in an online setting. Finally, face to face communication is key to almost all social interaction and business and must be learned in person through experience. "Only a small percentage of communication involves actual words: 7%, to be exact. In fact, 55% of communication is visual (body language, eye contact) and 38% is vocal (pitch, speed, volume, tone of voice)" [1]. This means that online scholars are likely to be less capable of communication than traditionally educated students. I"ll touch on some other social points farther down.

2. Productivity
It may seem like having all schoolwork in the home on the computer would increase productivity, but for most students, that is not true. Most students would be more distracted at home in front of their computer than in a classroom with a teacher looming over them. With the entirety of the internet just a click away, what is there to keep the average, unmotivated student on task? The answer is a pretty clear "nothing".

3. Some things need to be done in person
I"m mainly thinking of tests and lab work here. Test, quizzes, and assessments would all be impractical for online schooling. All the tests would be open book/open internet, so it would be impossible to get a real assessment of a student"s progress. Almost all sciences use labs or demos that would have to be removed in online classes. While some demos could be videoed and put online, students would lose the hands on experience.

4. Technological Access
For those in rural areas, online school isn"t always an option due to lack of internet connectivity. Also, poorer families, especially those with multiple children, would struggle in providing internet and computer access to all their kids.

5. Making the Switch
The conversion from traditional to online schooling would be a hard one to make. Not only would it make thousands of educational buildings across the country obsolete and useless, but it would also take jobs from all the current and future teachers. As of 2013 there are about 3.5 million teachers in the K-12 school systems [2] and thousands of people in college training to become teachers, and that"s not even counting all the administrative, custodial, and other staff. Taking away all these jobs would cause a large spike in unemployment and harm the economy as a whole.

Now, onto my responses to the Con arguments

6. Long bus rides
Con claims that his long bus ride (1 hour) was a massive waste of time, but while this may be true, it is not a good reason to switch to online schooling. First off, most students don"t have that long of a bus ride to school. Second, they should get used to the commute because as adults they will average a 24.5 minute commute to and from work each day [3].

7. Time and Distraction between classes
Even though Con considered time between classes to be a chaotic waste, for most students they provide some time to relax mentally between classes. If they were forced to sit in one classroom for 4 hours in a row, most would go crazy. They would lose concentration and have to change gears when changing subjects anyway, so there is really no harm done.

8. Bullies
Yes, bullying in school is a problem. No, online schooling is not the solution. There will always be bullies in life, whether it be at school, in the workplace, in your social life, or at home. It"s better to learn how to deal with them in a setting where you can get support from teachers and parents that can intervene than trying to figure it out after leaving home. Online schooling doesn"t remove the problem; it only delays it without teaching the skills to deal with it.

9. Socialization
Con makes the argument here that out of school activities and online communities can replace in-school socialization. Out of school activities are indeed a good place to learn social skills, but they are often tied directly to schools. School sports, clubs, and fine arts programs are some of the most common out of school activities for students and taking away the traditional schools would make these harder to access. In addition to this, activities that aren"t associated with schools are much harder for low-income and minority students to participate in. In one study, low-income parents reported only half the success of higher-income parents in finding affordable, high quality, and interesting out of school activities for their children [4]. In response to his point about online communities, please refer to my first point about how much of our communication is physical and vocal. These are just not present online.

10. Homework & Learning at Home
Con claims that if schools want kids to learn at home through homework, they should just have all schooling in the home. This is not true because the point of homework is to get the student thinking about the material more than just once during class. Also, Con says that in-home learning is preferable because the parents can get involved, but once again this is not true. In many cases the parents are busy working and even when they aren"t, they don"t necessarily have the skills and knowledge to help their child.

For all these reasons it should be clear that traditional schooling is the right choice.

MasterDebateThor forfeited this round.

Con forfeited, vote Pro.

MasterDebateThor forfeited this round.

Vote Pro
Posted by Gondun 1 year ago
Please don't forfeit. If for whatever reason you cannot or do not want to debate this anymore, just post your argument saying as much and I'll agree to a tie.
Posted by Occisionis 1 year ago
Have you heard of paragraphs?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Vote Placed by Boesball 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to pro because of forfeiture. Grammar and spelling is a wash. Arguments was a bit harder to determine, as both sides had good points, but pro was more organized and deliberate and executed his argument more effectively. Sources go to pro because they actually had sources.