RichardSJC
dcarbone7

Traffic light cameras

Started: 4/17/2012 Category: Economics

RichardSJC

Pro

I am all for the new traffic light cameras. I think that they are good for our society and make for a safer driving environment.
dcarbone7

Con

Its on like Donkey Kong!!!:)
I do not think that the traffic light cameras are helpful for our driving. In many ways, I see it as a way for the state government to take our money. I, actually, believe that it can sometimes harm our societies in many ways because then people make more rash decisions based on their trying to avoid a ticket. I think that there is no reason for the traffic light cameras to be in place. If you think about it, actually, it becomes just a way to scare people to stop them from going under the yellow light and can cause a collision.
RichardSJC

Pro

Yes, it IS on like Donkey Kong!!!

I think the cameras are a good thing. You bring up good points about just another way for the government to get money from us. But first, they are getting money from people breaking the law, so I'm cool with that. Next, I would think it is cheaper for them to use the cameras than to beef up police patrols for red lights, so in the end it is more cost effective for tax-payers. And lastly, every level of government is in a financial mess. So if they have to make a little cash off people running red lights, rather than raise taxes or cut important programs, then I say go for it!

And I find the cameras make things safer. I do think that some dopey people slow down too much, but overall I think it makes most people better drivers near the lights. I know that I now have a tendency to be a better, safer driver because the camera is there. I don't hit the gas to make the light, but I drive more responsibly because I don't want to get a ticket.
dcarbone7

Con

I see what you are saying as far as the safety goes, but I still see it as a way for the government to make money. I feel that instead of having a camera watch us, we should have traffic police or Suffolk police watching the intersections just the way they used to. I find it to be annoying to have to now think about whether a camera is going to snap a picture at you, obeying the law, but being under a yellow light through an intersection. While it might make some people more cautious, safer drivers, I think that too many people are retarding traffic because they are fearful of getting a ticket.
I feel that the money that they are spending to put all of the traffic lights in is almost a waste of time. By the time the government hires people to put them in, pays for the camera and the electric to run the thousands of cameras, hires people to monitor and scan through all of the pictures, and sends out tickets, it is barely worth it to even have. I think that the cameras have become a hazard to the everyday drivers and the government is taking advantage of our privacy, in a way. What next? We have cameras at every corner now, who's to say they won't start bugging our hotel rooms like NK!!
RichardSJC

Pro

Fair points about the money. There is a good chance that the cost of doing and maintaining this is a waste of time. But I have to disagree about it being better to have cops patroling the intersection. I think people get more moronic when they catch sight of a cop. Alot more slamming on brakes and whatnot. And while you may get the occassional person who reacts poorly to the cameras, I think alot of people get used to the intersections that have the cameras. They know that when coming to Sunrise amd Waverly there is a camera, so they are prepared to drive slower and safer. And having the populace driving slower and safer is always a good thing... if it saves lives I am all for it!
dcarbone7

Con

Sorry for taking so long! Been crazy busy!
I do agree with it helping save lives, Rich. But I still see the cameras as more of a hazard to us then helping us. I think it definitley makes people act more moronic because of the cameras. I do see what you're saying about people knowing where the cameras are, but call me old fashioned- I would still rather have an actual human tell me that I am doing something wrong versus a camera snapping a picture! To me, I think we would be better off as a community if the streets were patrolled more. Maybe- instead of making jobs for people to sit behind desks and monitor the cameras, we can have police officers more frequently patrolling the area. I do, though, see the positives to having the cameras in place. I just think that it becomes mroe hazardous to us because now- everytime someone goes under a yellow light, they are cringing because they don't know if they are being put on candid camera! It becomes a sticky situation with me now because I can see both sides of the argument, however, I still see it as a money making scheme for the government's benefit and a hazard to us.

Take it away, Rich.
RichardSJC

Pro

Hey!
So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the safety value these lights. It makes some people safer, better drivers. And it makes others more of knuckleheads than they already were.

The part where I disagree is the use of our police officers and adding other employees to monitor the cameras. For one, I think it is better to have real cops out taking care of other things, rather than having them sit near stop lights. Let them do other law enforcement duties that are more important than traffic duty. Suffolk cops make huge salaries and I would rather they were out to better use. And if a few more jobs are created by the camera venture, then I am cool with that. We need jobs! And the government needs money, so let them raise some funds by snagging a few redlight runners!

PS - I hope the fire dept. or police test went well, I forgot which it was. But I hope it went well!
dcarbone7

Con

Thanks, Rich!
Yes, I think we should agree to disagree on that part, but I see what you're saying in many respects. I agree with the fact that the smarter driveres will become more safe and the knuckleheads will just become more knuckle-headier.
In many respects, I can see what you're saying with having the police patrol other areas and take care of situations that would take precedence over traffic lights. I just feel that the majority of accidents that happen are not due to people blowing red lights, but on the other hand; people doing that won't make others safe. And you're right... if traffic cameras help the way people drive, in any way, I can see that as a definite positive.
In some ways, maybe I feel like my privacy is being taken away in the slightest bit because of these lights, but like you have said... if it makes it safer, why not. I do, though, feel uncomfortable with the traffic lights because I feel as though that it was not even that big of an issue for them to place cameras, but apparently it is getting some work done considering most people probably think twice before "flooring it" through the yellow light.
RichardSJC

Pro

RichardSJC forfeited this round.
dcarbone7

Con

Sounds like a plan to me, Rich. I definitley think that there needs to be some sort of study done to determine whether the traffic cameras are actually effective or are they just a scare tactic and hazard to others. The fact that the cameras will hopefully be looked into further by the government sounds like it would work better that way to see if they are helping. I think we have come to a conclusion, making this the best, most cordial debate ever in the history of debates. Booyah.
Posted by RichardSJC 4 years ago
RichardSJC
Sorry Dan, I guess I missed the last round!!

What I would have said is this:
You make very good points about privacy issues. I think it is a small price to pay for making the roads a little safer. I think we need to see traffic studies for about a year's worth of these lights: is it cost effective, can they show that it has reduced accidents, made the roads safer, etc. If all of that looks good then I say they are a good thing. If it isn't: A. Safer for us, and B. cost effective, then I agree with you. But otherwise I say our privacy is less important. We give up so much privacy these days, I can handle this... if it is worth it!!!