YoyoBobo
Draebator

Train track descion

YoyoBobo has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

YoyoBobo

Pro

So let's say that you have come across a lever, this lever decides which way a train goes.
The train is heading for 5 people, but if you were to change the direction it would only hit one. So you are left with two descions. Either let 5 people die, or murder 1 to save 4 more people. I would pull the lever to save more lives.
Draebator

Con

Before Debating I would like to note that this is a debate and opinions must be respected. Though I may not be agreeing with what I'm saying I will do my best to argue against the opposite side. Since thats over lets begin.

First of all why exactly would you save them. I have not seen any claims supporting your thesis. Second, what makes it more morally ethical to murder 1 to save the rest than letting them all die. Is there no other solution to the problem? Heres a sub-scenario in this scenario. What if the person you killed was a friend. Do you kill him to save the life of other strangers or save him but let the other die. Most people would save their friend as they are valued more than the other people as they don't mean as much to them as their friend. This shows that people are more inclined hold on to things that are more valuable to them rather than things that are not as such. In this case the valuable would be that person and the less valuable thing would be the other strangers. Another thing to consider is the backstory of the people in this scenario. If we know one of the 4 survivors is a terrible person who cause great harm.Then this can greatly alter our decision. Once again it can conflict with out first sub-scenario. This proves the Right-Intention Condition and The Proportionality Condition written by Aquinas, a Catholic Priest and a philosopher. To delve further into this the Right Intention Condition states that the "intention must be the achieving of only the good effect with the bad effect being only an unintended side effect. The bad effect may be foreseen, but not desired." The Proportionality Condition states "the good effect must be at least as morally good as the bad effect is morally bad. (https://welovephilosophy.com...) It is safe to assume that though our intent may be good there will always be an opposite of effect of our actions. This brings us back to the first question, "would you pull the switch to murder 1 person while saving the other 4 or let them all die?" My final answer is yes and no. It all depends on the effects of your actions. I honestly think this is a really interesting topic. I can tell you get this from the trolley problem.
Posted by JudgeSchreber 1 year ago
JudgeSchreber
I LOVE it when someone blatantly copies the ages-old deontology-thumper. Really makes the day interesting.