liberal_moron
Rational_Thinker9119

Transgender Rights?

liberal_moron

Con

Ok so I am all for peoples rights, but I think it is extremely inhumane if a boy goes into a girls bathroom if he "feels" like a girl. I think that genders should go into the bathroom regarding their genitals. With all due respect, my fellow transgender community peers, I don't care what you feel like. You go into the bathroom that you are supposed to. How are we to say a horny teenager will say he "feels" like a girl just to watch girls get naked. And without saying this will increase rape rates. I want to see others opinions and have a good arguement. Good luck!
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I have sympathy with my opponent's position, but I feel the logic backfires in a sense.

My opponent's main concern is that a male might claim he "feels" like a female just to be a pervert and gain access to the female washroom to watch them change. This is a problem because males have a sexual attraction to females; this is what makes such a scenario inappropriate. However, if we force trans people to use the washroom which corresponds to their genitals, then the same problem arises but in a different way; the trans person would be forced to use the washroom which includes the sex that the trans person is sexually attracted to. A man who feels like a female is probably attracted to men, so this person using the male washroom seems just as innaproproate as a straight man in a female washroom. If a trans female feels like a man, then she is probably attracted to females; the same logic applies.

In summary, my argument is that gender is not relavent to inappropriateness, it is sexual attraction that is the key factor. Therefore, forcing a man who feels like a woman to use the male washroom is innapropriate because this man is probably sexually attracted to men (and forcing a female who feels like man to use the female's washroom is just as inappropriate).

Since a scenario in which forcing an inappropriate scenario is self-evidently worse than a scenario in which a system could be abused to entail inappropriateness (but is not forced); my opponent's argument fails.
liberal_moron

Con

First off, I would like to applaud your vocabulary!
But onto the topic at hand, I think in any circumstance, that the mood, however welcoming of the LGBTQ community you might be, will change and probably for the negative. It is the harsh truth. If a full grown man wearing a wig with hair on his legs goes into the girls bathroom, yes its his right to do so, but I agree that the majority will feel discomfort. I do not think that discomfort spread out into an entire group of people just because of a few people. Hey, why not build a third bathroom, no problems. And the bathrooms are seperated, not because of hair, not because of masculinity/feminity but because of genitals. If you have a penis you go to the boys bathroom if you have a vagina you go to the girls bathroom. That's the whole reason WHY there is 2 bathrooms in the first place.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

Yes, bathrooms are separated based on sex, but why is this so? Because it would be inappropriate for someone who is sexually attracted to those of the opposite sex to be mixed in with members of the opposite sex. However, this logic has literally no value when dealing with trans people/ homosexuals. Forcing them to use bathrooms of the same sex is just as inappropriate as forcing a straight male to use the same washrooms as females. If we let trans people use the bathroom based on how they identify themselves then this actually would reduce inappropriate situations, or else we force them to use the bathroom of the same sex they are attracted to. Yes, there could be straight men who abuse this system to put themselves in an inappropriate situation (using the female bathroom even though they are straight/ not trans), but having a system in which inappropriate situations may slip through the cracks is not nearly as bad as a system which actually forces inappropriate situations; which is the point.

I do not feel my opponent addressed my arguments sufficiently.
liberal_moron

Con

Like it or not, the people using the bathroom will be intimidated by a transgender. I dont think a whole group of people should feel scared because of one or 2 people.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

My opponent's last remarks once again ignore the reverse problem. He claims the people using the washroom would be intimidated by a trans person. For example, a man who identifies himself as a woman using the washroom would intimidate the females. However, more females are not intimidated by it than are (https://www.google.ca...). My opponent ignores the men in the washroom who would be intimidated by a man in a wig; which is why his whole argument falls apart. The man in the wig is more likely to be attracted to men than women, so the people in the male washroom have much more of a reason to be intimidated than the females. If there was a female who felt she was a man, then she should not be able to go to the female washroom because she is likely to be attracted to females and that would make the females uncomfortable (more so then it would the men in a washroom if the female who thought she was a man was there).

Con's arguments fail miserably because he is basically advocating the forcing of people who are attracted to gender X, to use the bathroom of gender X. This opens up a whole new can of worms and causes more problems than it solves.
Posted by straightup.gong 1 year ago
straightup.gong
I'd like to say that I'm a female who is attracted to other females. I use the woman's restroom, yet I don't end up sexually harassing or abusing the women in there. If a man really wanted to rape a woman, he'd just do it. Why would he put on a wig, wear women's clothing, and possibly get criticized or abused by others just to get some action? Seems highly implausible to me.