When Jacob Lemay invites you into his bedroom, he wants to give the full tour. He'll show you his books, the planets and stars on the wall, his bunk bed and the stuffed animals he's lined up all in a row.

"This one is Chase, and that one is Zizzy," he says in the voice of a confident five-year-old. "And that one is Biscuit, and that one is Zarzo, and that one is Cheety, and that one is Snowflake, and that one is Fuzz."

Jacob is a happy, healthy, well-adjusted pre-schooler. He has two sisters " one older and one younger.

But it wasn't always this way. In the beginning, his parents Mimi and Joe were raising three daughters.

NBC's National Correspondent Kate Snow shares Jacob's story on Nightly News, Part One of a special series on transgender kids.

When Jacob was born, his name was Mia. But by the time he was two, he was telling his parents, "I'm a boy."

Last year, when he was four, they made a decision: to let him live as he has always identified " as a boy.

Jacob plays as an infant when he was still called Mia.
Some may think that's too young to make such a change, but many doctors who specialize in working with transgender children believe it's right for certain kids " those who show a rock-solid and enduring belief in their gender identity.

"When kids are consistent, persistent, and insistent in a cross-gender identity " and wanting to be the other gender and wanting the other gender's body parts or being very unhappy with the body parts they're given " we consider those children very likely to go on and continue a transgender identity," said Dr. Michelle Forcier, an associate professor of pediatrics at Brown University School of Medicine.

Gallery: Jacob's Life as a Transgender Child

For those children, she and other pediatricians say, it can often be better to make a change sooner.

"The biggest harm is to not do anything," said Forcier, who is not Jacob's doctor but has a specialty in treating transgender children.

When a kid is told, 'I don't see you,' 'I don't hear you,' 'I don't love you just the way you are,' that's a pretty powerful message about conditional love."

Ask Jacob why he transitioned and his answer is simple and straight-forward: "I wanted to be a boy."

Jacob dresses as Prince Charming at Disneyland with his sister Ella as a princess.
His parents say they decided to share Jacob's story because they can't afford not to.

"The environment that my son will grow up in depends on how transgender people are perceived by society," Mimi says.

"He's gonna go out there in the world. He's gonna travel and he's gonna meet other people. If we don't come out now and talk to people and" show people that transgender children are normal and wonderful and they're not to be feared, then I'm afraid that he will go into the world and meet with hostility," she said.

"I can do my piece right now and I believe that my piece is speaking up."

Mimi says that before the transition, her middle child would poke a body he couldn't embrace, saying things like "Why did God make me this way?" or "Why did God make me wrong?"

Mimi and Joe were scared and confused by the behavior and comments. But after seeing doctors and scouring the Internet for information " and after seeing how happy he was to dress as Prince Charming on a trip to Disneyworld " they decided last summer to make the transition.

They cut Jacob's hair shorter, changed his wardrobe, and asked family and friends to refer to him as Jacob and use the pronouns "him" and "he." Jacob started at a new pre-school last fall where none of the children knew him as Mia.

Jacob before and after having his hair cut.
For young children, there is no surgery or hormonal therapy. At this stage, before puberty, transgender children are making a more cosmetic change, Forcier says.

"We let them be themselves. So, they cut their hair and they wear their clothes and they wear their shoes they want. And they wear jewelry or they play with the kids they want to play with and they do the activities they want to do," she says. "We call that social transition."

The Lemays understand that some will have a hard time with their decision. But they say they are convinced they did the right thing for their son, and Mimi recently wrote a letter to Jacob detailing their thoughts and feelings about this journey.

"Ultimately Jacob has made that choice in his mind and his heart," Mimi says. "It's whether or not we accept it or not."

My opponent has plagiarized his/her entire first round argument from the following source:

I ask the voters to consider this when voting.

jmohr545 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited this round. I ask the voters to consider this when voting.

jmohr545 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited this debate. Please vote Pro!
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 1 year ago
Con, when you're going to make an argument, make sure that you put in your own words instead of going to a website and copying it word for word...
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Con has plagiarized from this source:
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
such plagarism
Posted by Mister_Man 1 year ago
Why does the stuffie have to be named after me :(
Posted by EmptyOptimist 1 year ago
That's a great article you copied. What is the stance you want to debate? Whether transgendered sexist? Whether they should be recognized? Whether children can be transgendered? Whether parents should allow children to live as transgendered?

I'll take the debate, but only once I understand what it is I'm debating.
Vote Placed by Theunkown 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF + Plagarism.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: For the opening round, con copied an entire article off of a news website, and then continued to forfeit the rest of the debate, so conduct goes to Pro. There were no real arguments made, and no sources used, because Con failed to quote the source they copied from. There also weren't any spelling errors from either side.