KZC
Lexus

Transgenders Should Use Public Facilities According to Their Biological Sex

KZC

KZC

Pro

R1: Acceptance
R2: Arguments
R3: Rebuttals
R4: Compromise (give feedback, insights, and solution)

This is a debate that is intended to communicate different ideas. No hate language. This is only my second time debating so I am not a professional debater who writes at least a page of arguments.
Lexus

Con

I accept & offer the definition of "biological sex" to be that of chromosomal sex, e.g. XX means female facilities and XY male.
KZC

Pro

Thank you for accepting. Here are my arguments for transgenders should use public facilities according to their biological sex.

1) Transgenders only compromise around 0.3% of the U.S. population. As a result, the 99.7% of people should not be subject to using public facilities with the opposite gender, and minorities should not be overly favored compared to the majority. [1]

2) #weneedtopee. This is an overused hashtag in social media. If people regard peeing as such an important matter and an emergency, why bother to change the precedent of gender separated bathrooms? In addition, if peeing is a concern, why bother arguing for privacy when the only concerned matter is peeing? This hashtag does not support the claim of transgender bathroom rights advocates.

3) Transgender bathrooms bills aren’t the same as Jim Crow Laws. Jim Crow laws are laws that prohibit colored people from using the same public facilities as whites. This is based on the separate but equal doctrine established by the SCOTUS case, Plessy v. Ferguson. However, it was overruled because the facilities were not the same and were not easily accessible in the SCOTUS case, Brown v. Board. The Jim Crow laws also prohibited African Americans from voting by using white primary, poll tax, the grandfather clause, and literacy test. All of these are based on racial discrimination. However, transgenders do not suffer from any of these discriminations. Transgenders could vote, and the facilities for both genders are the same. There isn’t a specific fountain labeled “transgenders only”. [2]

4) Transgenders need safety. I hear this argument countless of times, but what about the safety of non-transgenders? Just because someone doesn’t feel safe in one area doesn’t mean that others need to feel unsafe because of him/her. In addition, even if transgenders do not commit sexual assault, there are others who can abuse this opportunity. Allowing transgender bathrooms gives more opportunity and loopholes to sexual predators and can endanger children and women. This is proven on the news and many incidents. [3]

5) Privacy of Minorities vs. Privacy of Majority. I hear this argument countless of times, but what about the privacy of non-transgenders? Just because one person feels awkward in one area doesn’t mean that multiple people should feel awkward and violated. This may be stereotypical, but many pro-choice advocates are also pro-transgender bathrooms. Countless times they argue for women’s right to privacy to choose abortion, but what about women’s right to privacy to change and use the bathrooms? 99.7% of non-transgenders should not have their privacy rights violated because of a 0.3% of transgenders who feel uncomfortable and feel that their privacy is violated. Stop destroying modesty and fight for it! [4]

6) HB2 is not discriminatory. This North Carolina bill is not discriminatory. In fact, it prevents discrimination in workplaces and advocates for the establishment of single occupancy facilities. It only states that in people must use public facilities corresponding to their biological gender in multiple occupancy areas (e.g.: locker rooms, showers, etc.). [5]

[1]- http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...

[2]- http://www.pbs.org...

[3]- http://www.breitbart.com...

[4]- http://www.huffingtonpost.com...; & http://www.christianpost.com...

[5]- http://ncleg.net...

Lexus

Con

Lexus forfeited this round.
KZC

Pro

Since my opponent didn't present any arguments and had forfeited, no rebuttals could be presented.
KZC

Pro

My opponent forfeits once again. Although this wasn't much of a debate, I am glad someone is at least interested in this. I believe that transgenders should be protected from abuse and treated with the same respect, but I do not believe they should get extra rights. In Colorado schools, there are anti-discrimination laws and required gender-neutral, single-occupancy bathroom. A lot of people use the single-occupancy bathrooms so it isn't really awkward for transgenders to use it. However, locker rooms and multi-occupancy bathrooms remain sex-segregated. With this tactic, everyone feels welcomed and safe. I hope someone agrees with me on this Colorado solution.
Lexus

Con

Lexus forfeited this round.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
I was arguing that they should be able to use public facilities according to the sex that they present (transgender male-to-female individuals should be able to use female facilities).
Posted by KZC 1 year ago
KZC
Hello Lexus,
First of all, if you want to rebuttal but not argue that is fine; however, I am confused about which side you are arguing for. Are you are for yes, transgenders should be using public facilities according to their biological sex or no, transgenders should be able to use any public facility that does not correspond to their biological sex. I just needed to clarify. If you would like, the third round can be your arguments and rebuttals.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Sorry for the forfeit... I can't find any reasons about why they should, rather I have rebuts to why they *shouldn't*, so I can't uphold my BoP as easily as I had hoped.
Posted by KZC 1 year ago
KZC
Thanks for helping me change the criteria.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Click 'edit debate' and you can add 4 rounds..

I would love to accept this debate, it is close to my heart. Please let me do so, you have set up criteria that I don't meet.
Posted by KZC 1 year ago
KZC
Sorry, I forgot to add round 4 so include round 4 in the comments.
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
KZCLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro as con forfeited. Pro was the only one who made an argument and so pro wins by default. KZC, I would love to take you up on this debate
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
KZCLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit, con wrote out the forfeit in round 3 or 4
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
KZCLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro. Pro also was the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Pro by default.