Scorbie
imabench

Transhumanism is immoral!

imabench
Started: 3/9/2012 Category: Technology

Scorbie

Pro

I am here to argue that transhumanism is immoral.

I created my account 2 days ago so I am very new to this site and still learning the proper debate structure.

Structure
Round 1: acceptance
Round 2:Arguments stated
Round 3 refutation
Round 4: Closing arguments/refutation

Definitions:
im·mor·al  [ih-mawr-uhl, ih-mor-
adjective
1.violating moral principles; not conforming to the patterns of conduct usually accepted or established as consistent with principles of personal and social ethics.
2.licentious or lascivious.

Transhumanism is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities.

imabench

Con

I accept this debate and will argue that transhumanism is NOT immoral

I researched transhumanism thinking it is the process of converting ones self from human to another species such as dolphin or frog. However transhumanism is a serious thing so I will not derail this debate as intended and argue that transhumanism is indeed moral.

Other than that

Scorbie

Pro

Thank you for the timely response and I'll try to get into the debate as good as I can.

Transhumanism is immoral because It could eventually lead to immortality, something that makes everyone human is the fact that we are the only species with morality. For humans to become immortal is both selfish and immoral because eventually it will lead to mass fertilization of mankind.

Also I believe transhumanism would promote racism between the posthumans who can afford the technological upgrades and human. This Racism would be scientifically supported although wrong, for example blacks were once thought to be inferior genetically although it was proved to be false. Eventually the people who couldn't afford to become posthumans would either be driven to slavery, or segregation.[1] In the movie Blade runner you can see examples of this taking place when we got to a point where we could clone a humans claiming them not to be human and forcing them as slaves the same could happen with those left behind.

Eventually transhumanism would make life pay to win, for example an athlete who would get upgrades would likely run better than natural runners causing an unfair gap between the higher and lower classes making transhumanism and continuation of mankind a dream.

I'll keep it short so we can finish the debate before time expires.

Sources: http://reason.com...

imabench

Con

Thr Pro's arguments against transhumanism are
1) It might lead us to be immortal (unlikely)
2) It might lead us to be racist (already happens)

Transhumanism is the advancement of the capacities of humans through the use of advanced technology (nanochips for example) These human capacities that transhumanism intends to improve is basic health, brain functions like memory or thought processing, boosting our immune system, improving eye sight, etc. Theres nothing immoral with just improving ones health through a means that is available to everybody.... Brushing ones teeth falls just short of being transhuman since a tooth brush isnt really "advanced" technology, but is brushing ones teeth immoral since it helps prolong human life? Of course not.

The other argument is that transhumanism is immoral is because it promotes racism since it might make one race feel superior to another.... Just about anything can potentially promote racism but we cant ban or avoid doing anything just because it MIGHT be immoral..... Transhumanism increases human capacities through technological means that would be available to everyone (by definition), not any one particular race.....

The last reason why transhumanism isnt immoral is because transhumanism does have its limitations.... Transhumanism is limited by itself actually since the only way it works is through really advanced technology, therefore it is only as modern as the best technology on the market meant to improve people. WHat is the biggest device that supports transhumanism? Hearing aids

(Hearing Aids arent immoral either)

The dream gadgets of transhumanism, nanobots that no how to repair the human body, is still decades away from becoming a reality, and decades more before they become available to the public. Even with these dream gadgets humans will not live forever, and they currently dont live forever right now despite some advanced technologies, so in the rare chance that a technology does unlock immortality its perhaps centuries away and until then we shouldnt abandon hearing aids, knee replacements, any kind of artificial limbs, any kind of vaccine, even false teeth just because there is an off chance they may contribute to humans becoming immortal.....
Scorbie

Pro

Scorbie forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

I extend my arguments
Scorbie

Pro

Scorbie forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

Vote Con
Vote Placed by FourTrouble 5 years ago
FourTrouble
ScorbieimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Too bad Pro forfeited, interesting topic.