Wylted
Ra1n

Trigger warning: Rape, torture, children in provocative positions, WMD's, Justin Bieber, balls

Wylted

Wylted

Con

Full resolution: There should be a trigger warning on debates that graphically depict rape, torture or other things likely to trigger symptoms of PTSD.

Definitions

Trigger warning: "In some publications a "trigger warning" may appear at the beginning of certain articles. These are to warn that the articles contain disturbing themes that may trigger traumatic memories for sufferers. People may view these as a means of protecting the mental health of their readers or simply common courtesy. An example of a trigger warning is: "TRIGGER WARNING: This content deals with an account of sexual assault and may be triggering to some people." (From Wikipedia)

Comments- I'm totally open to altering stuff in the resolution. Don't be a penis and accept and then complain about stuff in the resolution. If you not pick and fail to use common sense please, don't even bother me. I'm only open to making way changes in the resolution that take like 5 seconds.

Also any attempt to noob snipe me by interpreting the resolution in a way that doesn't appeal to common sense should result in a 7 point win awarded to me.

Edit: According to Bluesteel I should state whether definitions are prescriptive or descriptive or something. It's descriptive, duh.
Ra1n

Pro

I accept. I've been a long time admirer of your debates Wylted and it's great to have a chance to finally debate against you. I look forward to seeing how you can turn this one around.

Good luck!
Wylted

Con

The problem with trigger warnings in general is that they help trauma survivors avoid situations, words or images that remind them of the traumatic event. This avoidance leads to feelings of helplessness and eventually depression.

According to Professor Metin Basoglu, a psychologist,

"The media should actually " quite the contrary" Instead of encouraging a culture of avoidance, they should be encouraging exposure. Most trauma survivors avoid situations that remind them of the experience. Avoidance means helplessness and helplessness means depression. That"s not good".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

What they do is basically reinforce PTSD. According to Richard J. McNally, a Professor of Psychology at Harvard University,

"Trigger warnings are designed to help survivors avoid reminders of their trauma, thereby preventing emotional discomfort. Yet avoidance reinforces PTSD. Conversely, systematic exposure to triggers and the memories they provoke is the most effective means of overcoming the disorder."

What we're doing is making things worse for victims of rape, torture, child molestation and Justin Bieber. Instead of making things worse for survivors of trauma we should make things better just by exposing them to these things without any sort of warning.

On top of the ways it harms victims of traumatic experiences it has other harms as well. A lot of people treat language as this really powerful thing. They'll apply trigger labels to things or label some form of language that Is common practice as ableism or misogynistic or racist somehow. The effects of this (and I believe intent of a lot of it), is that it shuts down discourse. It hurts communication. How can we seriously discuss an issue if half the audience has to remove themselves from the room because I need to bring up something that may remind them of a trigger warning.
Ra1n

Pro

Ra1n forfeited this round.
Ra1n

Pro

Ra1n forfeited this round.
Wylted

Con

All arguments dropped. Vote con
Ra1n

Pro

Ra1n forfeited this round.
Posted by LeastCommonDenominator 2 years ago
LeastCommonDenominator
I'm staying and watching for this debate.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Take your time, if you want
Posted by Ra1n 2 years ago
Ra1n
It's 1am in here in Sydney so I think I'm going to have to sleep and reply tomorrow. I will be try my best to be prompt though! :)
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Thanks for accepting. I'll be quick :)
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
It's a trigger for some people.
Posted by Zack95 2 years ago
Zack95
Lol... Justin Bieber.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
WyltedRa1nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited multiple rounds which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to present any arguments for his side, whereas Con did. Since Con was left standing unchallenged, Con wins arguments. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize sources in this debate whereas Con did.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
WyltedRa1nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture