Trinitarianism vs. Unitarianism

I will be arguing Pro on the Trinity. Con will be arguing against Trinitariansm, and for Unitarianism. I would also like to thank Con for accepting this debate.

Round 1: Acceptance

Round 2: Opening Arguments

Round 3:Rebuttals

Round 4: Conclusion

I accept, provided that my opponent is arguing for the Christian version of trinitarianism, and that this be considered a purely theological debate, not scientific.

The very word "Trinity" is made up of two terms - "tri" and "unity. The doctrine travels the middle road between the two, and neither can be allowed to predominate the other. Trinitarians have but one God - the charge of polytheism or tritheism leveled at the orthodox position ignores the very real emphasis, drawn from the Biblical witness to one God, on monotheism.

A) There is in the Divine Being but one indivisible essence (ousia, essentia). B) In this one Divine Being there are three Persons or individual subsistences, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.The whole undivided essence of God belongs equally to each of the three persons. D) The subsistence and operation of the three persons in the divine Being is marked by a certain definite order. E) There are certain personal attributes by which the three persons are distinguished. F) The Church confesses the Trinity to be a mystery beyond the comprehension of man.

The Trinity in the New Testament and Old Testament:

The New Testament church had remained faithful to its heritage of Jewish monotheism in affirming that there is only one God (Mk 12.29; Rom. 3.29-30a; I Cor. 8.4; Jas. 2.19; I Tim. 2.5). In accord with the portrayal of God in the Old Testament (Is. 63.16) and the teaching of Jesus (Mt. 6.9), Christians also conceived of God as Father, a distinct person from Jesus His Son (Mt. 11.27; 26.39; Mk. 1.9-11; Jn. 17.5ff.

In the New Testament, God is reffered to (ho theos) which is referring to God the Father(John 3:16). The last and final person was the Holy spirit, as a distinct person within the 'Godhead', is also referred to and is God. (Acts 5.3-4) and the Spirit of God (Mt. 12.28; I Cor. 6.11). The Holy spirit is not an unknowable force, but a personal reality who teaches and intercedes for believers, who possesses a mind, who can be grieved and lied to, and who is ranked as an equal partner with the Father and the Son.

In the Old testament, the trinity was not yet clear. This does not mean the trinity did not exist. For since God is triune and eternal then the trinity is eternal. It became clear to the Jews and Gentiles at the time, when they finally saw The Son of God Incarnated(Jesus), and the Holy Spirit had revealed that God was triune.

Why Logic Dictates God is Triune:
When Jesus was on the cross, he didn't stop being God. In Matthew 27:45-46, it says, "Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour. 46And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" This does not mean Jesus stopped being God.

Jesus felt seperation, becuase of our sin that he bore on the cross. At the same Jesus was fulfilling Psalm 22

"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? "

"Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning."

This prophecy was written 1000 years before crucifixion even existed. It logically makes since that God is triune. The Father is in Heaven, the Son was on the cross. And, the Holy spirit was inside Christ (waiting to be released till the day of Penetecost). If God is not triune, then he can not be omnipresent. Thus, God could not have accomplished our salvation, nor would he be God if he can not exist in multiple places at once.

Council of Nicea's Creed:
This is the statement the council of nicea believed within the 3rd century. "We believe in One God, the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth, Of all things visible and invisible.

We believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ the only son of god. God from god, light from light, true god from true god. Begotten not made, of one being with the father, Through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, By the power of the Holy Spirit he was made man. For our sake he was crucified died and was buried. He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures And is seated at the right hand of the father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead And of his kingdom there will be no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the lord and giver of life Who proceeds from the father [and son], Through the father and son is glorified, He has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church We believe in communion of saints, the resurrection of the dead And the life of the world to come."

First Conclusion:

The Church believed that the Father, Son, and Holy spirit were all one God. But, they believed that all three persons within the Godhead were equal with each other. The challenge that the church faced, was how could God be the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, without being three Gods or being or God being one person.

Many apologies to my opponent, I misread the Title of this debate. I do not wish to debate this topic.

I understand that my opponent has forfeited. That is okay and I want to think my opponent for accepting this debate.

Random text to close the debate

Uh.....More random text to close this debate.

And finally,.............. random text to close this debate. I thank my pro for being understanding and I again apologise.
Posted by janetsanders733 2 years ago
@mikohen, So then what are you?
Posted by mikohen 2 years ago
@Janet I am not Jewish, but i am not christian either. Abba has graciously opened my eyes to see that religious sects were never his intention (rev 2:15) he is calling all of us to follow him; in spirit and truth
beware of the noahide laws rev 20:4
Posted by janetsanders733 2 years ago
@Dudestop That's cool. I want to learn how to speak Hebrew and Greek.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
I can only speak French and English...

My sister however, is able to speak: Spanish, Chinese, English, French. Her major wasinternational relations.
Posted by janetsanders733 2 years ago
Oh cool. You speak Hebrew? That is awesome. I wish I could speak Hebrew.
Are you Jewish?
Posted by mikohen 2 years ago
this is a slam dunk. the 1st evidence is what the messiah said was the greatest commandment

"shema Yisrael Yahuah Elohanu Yahuah echad"

Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation."

lets take out the pagan names above and see what it says

Surely Eloha is my salvation (Yahsa); I will trust and not be afraid. Yahuah, Yahuah himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. (Yahusha)"
Vote Placed by supershamu 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I would have loved to see this topic debated. But I am glad the Con was able to drop out if his heart wasn't in it and for that I say he had great conduct!
Vote Placed by ClassicRobert 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession