Gaming_Debater
A341

Troll debates should be allowed on DDO.

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

Gaming_Debater

Pro

First round is for acceptance only.
A341

Con

Trolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (No seriously I accept).
Gaming_Debater

Pro

A1: Freedom of Speech

P1: The first amendment to the U.S. Constitution grants citizens freedom of speech.

P2: Banning troll debates would be an infringement on (certain) DDO users' right to freedom of speech.

C1: Therefore troll debates should be allowed on DDO.

Defense of P1:

P1 is a known fact. While not everyone is granted freedom of speech where they use DDO, they are people just like us and deserve freedom of speech. DDO is a place where people can excercise freedom of speech and other 1st amendment rights.

Defense of P2:

Participating in a troll debate is a great example of using one's freedom of speech. If you look at the logic used in a troll debate, it is obviously not the same logic you would use in a serious debate. How is that not using your freedom of speech?

A341

Con

Rebuttal

A corporation is permitted to curb your freedom of speech. The first amendment to the US constitution only applies to the governments right (or lack of right) to infringe on the freedom of speech of its citizens [1].

But regardless I live in the united kingdom, why should foreign laws effect me? Why should a multi national organisation be forced to subject all of its users to spam and trolls because of on of the countries it operates in? Why should a constitution written 300 years ago by slave owners who fought and killed my ancestors and which governs a foreign country have any bearing on how I live my life?

Argument

Making debate.org Easier to Navigate

If trolls were allowed to run wild on debate.org we may see debate.org become unnavigable. There are already many many troll debates going on at the moment even with admins working to stop the trolls.

This is a Debate Site

People come here to debate issues allowing troll debates would simply cause problems for those who come to the website for what it was originally intended for.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Gaming_Debater

Pro

Rebuttal to the rebuttal

"A corporation is permitted to curb your freedom of speech. The first amendment to the US constitution only applies to the governments right (or lack of right) to infringe on the freedom of speech of its citizens [1] "

According to the same link you used, a restriction on citizens' freedom of speech must meet the following criteria:
  1. It must be content neutral
  2. It must be narrowly tailored
  3. It must serve a significant governmental interest
  4. It must leave open ample alternative channels for communication
Banning troll debates would not meet criteria #3 as what we debate on this site does not affect government decisions. If someone displays enough inappropriate behavior on DDO (Jifpop and Aerogant, for example), then Airmax can ban them, thus keeping DDO peaceful without any government involvement. It is bad behavior in person that could eventually require government involvement, which would be uncorrelated with irresponsible use of DDO.

"But regardless I live in the united kingdom, why should foreign laws effect me? Why should a multi national organisation be forced to subject all of its users to spam and trolls because of on of the countries it operates in? Why should a constitution written 300 years ago by slave owners who fought and killed my ancestors and which governs a foreign country have any bearing on how I live my life?"

It does not matter who made it, when it was made, or who it is meant for. You are a human like the rest of us. Freedom of speech is a freedom. You have been watching your mouth (or your keyboard, as far as I can tell) very closely, so as far as I am concerned, you should have freedom of speech. Also, According to Article 6 of A Constitution for a Free Scotland, citizens are also allowed freedom of speech [1].

Rebuttal to the argument:

"If trolls were allowed to run wild on debate.org we may see debate.org become unnavigable. There are already many many troll debates going on at the moment even with admins working to stop the trolls."

Actually, troll debates are intended for humor. There could thus simply be a law that all troll debates had to be in the funny section. If you found a debate of a silly topic outside the funny, section, you would likely find it in "miscellaneous" and see Jonbonbon's profile picture, plus a title such as: "Resolved: Ireland does not exist." If you are not interested in troll debates then you need not participate in one nor look at one. If that does not suffice, a site official could start a thread listing all the troll debates on this site in post #1 and block posting from anyone else to avoid unnavigability. They could update the thread on a regular basis and post links.

Conclusion: The humorous intent of troll debates would get them all in the Funny section (unless it was a Jonbonbon style troll debate, but even then it would be easy to tell.) Having them all in one section would keep other sections of this site from getting infected, thus there is no harm in allowing troll debates.

[1]- http://en.wikipedia.org...
A341

Con

1st Amendment

Debate.org can be considered a publisher which means it has the final say in what it publishes. You cannot force a publisher to publish what you want it to publish.

Those criteria you mention only apply to the government:

"there was no implied right of free speech within a private shopping center." [1]

"Therefore, respondents were not entitled to exercise their free-speech rights on the privately owned shopping-center property." [2].

Human Right to Freedom of Speech

I agree that freedom of speech is a fundamental human right. However I defined freedom of speech as the government not being allowed to restrict the speech of "it's" citizens. I don't think of freedom of speech as forcing a private party to allow any speech on property owned by that private actor.

You can argue (or not as it's the last round) for freedom of speech based on the fact that it should be a universal human right but you cannot argue for it legally. You still haven't really provided a rebuttal to my argument that foreign laws causing problems for people of different nationalities.

Oh and that "A Constitution for a Free Scotland" was the manifesto of a political party called the SNP [3].

Trolls Running Wild

I never made any assertion that trolling wasn't humorous (which seems to be your argument). We have seen often that a troll will just spam the challenge section and simply cause problems for legitimate users on this site.

Pro has failed to provide any serious argument for his position other than: They mean well it's all funny. Please vote con.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[3] http://www.constitutionalcommission.org...
Posted by Gaming_Debater 3 years ago
Gaming_Debater
u sure ur gonna argue?
Posted by Gaming_Debater 3 years ago
Gaming_Debater
but i didnt label this as a troll debate
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
I'll be very surprised if con doesn't rebut with a troll argument :3
Posted by Gaming_Debater 3 years ago
Gaming_Debater
that's ok
Posted by A341 3 years ago
A341
I'll get round to it soon don't worry.
Posted by Gaming_Debater 3 years ago
Gaming_Debater
A341 youre gonna post your argument right?