lightning1
bossyburrito

Tropical pet stores should be banned

lightning1

Pro

Pet stores are a major cause of invasive species that can decimate ecosystems. Numerous snakes from South America now inhabit Florida due to poor owners. Endangered species such as tropical fish and birds are frequently taken from the wild to be sold to pet stores. If we eliminate the selling of tropical and threatened wildlife, then both our ecosystems and theirs will recover.
bossyburrito

Con

While I agree that the act of releasing these pets harms the environment, banning tropical pet stores will punish those who intended to keep their pets. There is nothing inherently wrong with keeping as a pet an animal that belongs to an endangered or invasive species. A much more reasonable course of action would be to ban the release of the pets into the wild. This would result in only those committing an immoral act being punished.
lightning1

Pro

I should probably clarify that I am fine with exotic animals that pose no threat to native animals or humans.

Releasing pets into the wild is banned already in many states, but a lot of damage has already been done. I agree with you that there are many responsible owners, but pet stores do not have nearly enough restrictions or bans. While airports require you to announce all foreign plants or animals, a person can walk out of a pet store and immediately let their pet go.

I agree with you that it isn't wrong to keep an exotic pet, but an endangered one is an animal that has been abducted form its natural environment. Human contact with wildlife by abducting, hunting, or wounding has caused the most number of extinctions than any other factor. I believe these species should be temporarily banned from being sold to pet stores and consumers.

I suppose my argument should have been: Endangered and Threatened species should not be sold to pet stores, or that there should be larger penalties for those who release invasive species into the wild.
bossyburrito

Con

bossyburrito forfeited this round.
lightning1

Pro

lightning1 forfeited this round.
bossyburrito

Con

bossyburrito forfeited this round.