Murchadha
WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2

True Straight lines are impossible to create

Murchadha

Pro

I'll just begin by clarifying what I mean by - 'Straight lines are impossible to create'.

A creatable straight line refers to any tangible construction or existing object that can be thought of as having a perfectly coherent edge that can trace a perfect one-dimensional line - in more mathematical terms having a constant derivative if we zoom in on the object and observe its edge as a function.
WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2

Con

Well if everything down to the tiniest bit of matter is a circle, then there is no physical way to make it into a straight line.

But for a true straight line there would have to be a machine that would be able to compress the tiniest form of matter into a cast style square line. Then that would be the closest you could get to one.
Murchadha

Pro

the shape of atoms isn't circular - its just orbiting points of charge like a solar system. casting its structure into another shape is impossible as its components aren't stagnant rather ever moving - electrons orbit in energy levels and protons decay even in stable states after a certain amount of time (half-life)

and I believe the closest would be to somehow bond atoms in a structure with 90-degree interactions (lattice) such that the surface of the compound has an entirely flat surface.
WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2

Con

Yeah square em up homie, The only way to do it. If theres a will theres a way.
Murchadha

Pro

I started this debate because I cant think of a way myself and would like someone else to be able to defend an argument against anything I can think in rebuttal to their proposals. I never thought that I would be the one postulating ideas, why did you accept the debate.
WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2

Con

Because you made the debate about a subject that you cannot refute. The point is, you made an argument that everyone agrees with generally. That you can make some sort of line that's perfectly straight, you can't do it with today's technology, I'm sure maybe sometime in the future when we can manipulate something that small in such a way. You're not going to make a breakthrough discovery in physics in a 3 round European debate website. I say you rather should go to a website like this: https://physics.stackexchange.com... I personally like this article because paradoxes are cool to me. But yeah, What you asked was kind of like, "I want you to tell me why some people get a disease that we don't understand yet."
Posted by Murchadha 3 months ago
Murchadha
@Sonofcharl

relativistically on the natural magnitude pulling on a strand of hair it the fastest way to imagine a 1-dimensional object.
Posted by Redbluegreen 3 months ago
Redbluegreen
To answer Sonofcharl. Creating straight lines using physical tools that we have access to is an impossibility, which only means we cannot using our eyes or measuring systems that measure matter to identify what a straight line looks like. However, we can define straight lines using mathmatical concepts. We have a concept of strait relative to other things. All math is doing is taking that definition and generalizing it to its simplist form. Basically, ultimate straightedness. I would also like to point out that i do believe there are real straight lines in nature. For example (forgive me if im totally wrong about this) photons move, according to the geometry of the universe, in a straight line.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 months ago
Sonofcharl
If true straight lines are an impossibility, how do we actually know what true straight lines are?
Vote Placed by RMTheSupreme 3 months ago
RMTheSupreme
MurchadhaWW2GuyWhoLikesWW2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't understand anywhere in Con's case where it is proven that you can make a straight line. Baseless assertions saying 'someday tech will get there' is in no way whatsoever proof that we can do it, only hope that we someday will. Con implied that the reason it seems impossible is the limitations of technology today but never elaborated on why it will become possible some day.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 months ago
dsjpk5
MurchadhaWW2GuyWhoLikesWW2Tied