mwilliams1014
nerfherder20

Trump For President

mwilliams1014

Pro

People need to wake up to the reality of America's grave situation. We are owing 19 trillion in debt, our unemployment crisis is only getting worse, and ISIS is is sending their fear inflicting pieces of crap to kill American citizens. So I have a question for you...why can't America be first? Your worried about the Mexican people when we can't even take care of ourselves...you're worried about the Muslim people when we can't take care of ourselves. People do not understand that, yes, this country is very diverse, with a wide variety of people and religions. But this country was still founded and based on a judo-christian society. "In god we trust" and "We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal under God". The president puts his hand on the bible when he swears in!! Getting back to the point, the Mexican people are not only pouring drugs into this country but they are also stealing thousands of American jobs (Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio want to give amnesty to illegal immigrants whom haven't broken the law...isn't crossing the border ILLEGALLY, illegal!!). WHY CAN'T AMERICAN'S BE FIRST?!?!? The United States of America's citizens need jobs in the United States of America..not Mexican. How can you argue with someone who says this country needs to give jobs back to the people. Plus we need to stop companies from moving to Mexico. When Carrier Air Conditioning and Nabisco moved their factories to Mexico they left thousands of families without a living wage!! Trump wants to stop this nonsense and I believe he is the best one to solve and fix America's problems.

When you respond please tell me who you support!!!
Looking forward to a good debate, good luck!
nerfherder20

Con

Let's start off by agreeing about the first statement. People most certainly DO need to wake up to the reality of America's grave situation. Three examples given are that "We are owing 19 trillion in debt, our unemployment crisis is only getting worse, and ISIS is is sending their fear inflicting pieces of crap to kill American citizens."

Luckily for the arguer, non of these fears listed are founded in much evidence.

1. "We are owing 19 trillion in debt..."

It's true the US total debt today is roughly 19 trillion dollars. But that doesn't mean we owe, as a nation, 19 trillion dollars to other countries.

From TreasuryDirect.org taken 3/17/16:
Current Debt Held by the PublicIntragovernmental HoldingsTotal Public Debt Outstanding
03/16/201613,844,765,451,215.035,306,633,961,334.74 19,151,399,412,549.77

You can see the 19 trillion number at the end, but let's soften that bite a little bit. The 5 trillion in Intragovernmental Holdings is money the government has borrowed from itself. To clarify, the government has rainy day funds it sets up for projects and the 5 trillion is money taken from those buckets. Rather than borrowing money we didn't have, this is cracking the piggy bank and telling ourselves that we'll put the money back later. As for the 13 trillion "held by the public" this includes every bond issued to individuals, state and local governments, pension funds, you name it! Every stock portfolio and every retirement plan is full of this "debt held by the public." American's lend the government their money so they can save for their retirement! It is estimated that only 50% of the Debt Held by the Public is held by foreign governments, which is what everyone is so afraid about. Take 19 trillion, subtract 5 trillion from intragov holdings, and divide that number in half and you get what everyone is really scared of: 7 trillion owed to other nations. A lot better than 19 trillion quoted, right?!

And if you're still panicking that Chinese collection agents are coming to repossess your furniture, take comfort that our rate of increasing the debt is actually slowing down (for now)! To save space, I'll just list the year. the rate of change (always an increase) from the previous year (and the president at the time):

Also from TreasuryDirect.org. Each percent is how much the total deficit increased from the year before
09/30/151.83% - Obama
09/30/146.49% - Obama
09/30/134.18% - Obama
09/30/128.63% - Obama
09/30/119.06% - Obama
09/30/1013.87% - Obama
09/30/0918.80% - Obama
09/30/0811.29% - W. Bush
09/30/075.89% - W. Bush
09/30/067.24% - W. Bush
09/30/057.50% - W. Bush
09/30/048.78% - W. Bush
09/30/038.91% - W. Bush
09/30/027.25% - W. Bush
09/30/012.35% - Clinton
09/30/000.32% - Clinton
09/30/992.35% - Clinton
09/30/982.09% - Clinton
09/30/973.60% - Clinton
09/30/965.04% - Clinton
09/29/955.99% - Clinton
09/30/946.38% - Clinton
09/30/938.53% - Bush Sr.
09/30/9210.89% - Bush Sr.
09/30/9113.36% - Bush Sr.
09/28/9013.15% - Bush Sr.
09/29/899.80% - Bush Sr.
09/30/8810.72% - Reagan
09/30/8710.59% - Reagan
09/30/8616.58% - Reagan
09/30/8515.95% - Reagan
09/30/8414.16% - Reagan
09/30/8320.59% - Reagan
09/30/8214.45% - Reagan
09/30/819.93% - Carter
09/30/809.82% - Carter
09/30/797.13% - Carter

If you're concerned with ballooning the debt, whose administration handled it the best?

2. "our unemployment crisis is only getting worse"

Quite the opposite, actually. When the housing market collapsed and $10 trillion dollars disappeared a LOT of people lost their jobs. Unemployment jumped from its very normal levels of 5% in 2007 to %10 in 2009. Every year since 2009 the total unemployment percentage has decreased. As of February 2016, unemployment is down to 4.9%! Officially lower than before the housing market crash!

This information comes directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://data.bls.gov...

3. "and ISIS is is sending their fear inflicting pieces of crap to kill American citizens."

September 11th was a tragedy. Absolutely no question about it. But let's understand how many American's have been killed by terrorists who were either sent to the US or were already here and "activated." 45 since September 11th. That's 45 tragedies that we could have done without. Also in that time period? 48 deaths from American far right wing fanatics. 3 more than the terrorists (http://securitydata.newamerica.net...). Just for comparison purposes, almost 13,00 Americans were killed from homicides, accidental shooting, and suicides just in 2015. You can be afraid of death by terrorism, sure. But you should also know that roughly 35 Americans a year die from dog attacks, and about 15 die each year from airplanes, so be careful out there!

Which brings me to why I agree with your first statement about the gravity of America's situation. Our nation is threatened by a population who are afraid of thinking. All of my information above comes from simple google searches like "what is the us unemployment history" and "how many Americans have been killed by terrorists on US soil." Easy searches! In less than half an hour I was assured, by actual facts, that unemployment is as low of a concern than it has ever been in my life, the chances or dying to a terrorist attack in the us is in the same neighborhood as dying from black friday shopping, and that the debt, while kind of complicated, tends to increase the least during democratic presidents. I didn't know that before! How cool is the internet!? But most people don't bother questioning. They hear something on tv and assume it's true. Which is why I argue....Trump should not be president.

Donald Trump embodies this TV sensationalism, say whatever gets ratings and don't care at all about it later.

These are all direct Trump quotes

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." -zero factual evidence

"I'm not sure I have ever asked God's forgiveness. I don't bring God into that picture....When I go to church and when I drink my little wine and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of forgiveness. I do that as often as I can because I feel cleansed." - This is who will represent our country's Judeo-Christian values?

"Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?! I mean, (Carly Fiorina"s) a woman, and I'm not supposed to say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?" - More of that Judeo-Christian value! Are we serious?

"The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Literally war-crimes. Literally.

"I identify more as a Democrat." - Funny way of showing it!

Also, remember those 48 deaths since 9/11 at the hands of right wing fanatics? they are coming out in huge support for trump.

Here is a man who may be conservative, may be liberal, but is 100% willing to say whatever it takes to become your next president. He caters to the part of America who are afraid of shadows and too lazy to turn on a light. Personally, having turned on the lights (i.e. did some googling for 30 minutes), I'm not afraid of ghost stories and TV personalities who swear by their lies because they know we're too dumb to check them.

Every president has put America first. Some did it by declaring war, some by trying to get everyone health care. The idea that any president governs first for Mexicans and Muslims and the rest of America only as an afterthought is characteristic of the loud-mouth, lack of critical thinking, fear and hate that is fueling the Trump campaign.

And who am I supporting? Anybody else.
mwilliams1014

Pro

mwilliams1014 forfeited this round.
nerfherder20

Con

nerfherder20 forfeited this round.
mwilliams1014

Pro

mwilliams1014 forfeited this round.
nerfherder20

Con

nerfherder20 forfeited this round.
Posted by PonticGreekMacedonian 8 months ago
PonticGreekMacedonian
Trump is nothing but racist and hateful!!! He only wants to be President so he can become more famous!!! The last thing America needs is a racist and hateful idiot!!!
PonticGreekMacedonian
Posted by MagicAintReal 8 months ago
MagicAintReal
Ah, but my problem with what you said was that this country was FOUNDED on judeo-christian principles.
The foundation of America was not in 1957 when "In God We Trust" was affixed to our paper money.

So, you need to explain what Madison, the writer of the constitution was writing about when he said:

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these [American] shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries."
Posted by mwilliams1014 8 months ago
mwilliams1014
Hey, magicaintreal, I understand where you are coming from. But there are also many times where laws and amendments are bound under god. On every dollar bill in the United States it reads "In God We Trust".
Where do you believe we get our beliefs for abortion, pre-marital sex, cohabitation, and the death penalty. They are all based on our morality, our religion.
Posted by MagicAintReal 8 months ago
MagicAintReal
Hey mwilliams, why did the founding fathers write the 1st amendment?
I want to see if you know the history of the 1st amendment and why it was written, and then see ifyou still claim this country was founded on "judeo-christian" values...