Capitalistslave
Mitchell_Snyder

Trump is only half right with which media outlets are the enemy of the people

Mitchell_Snyder has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/18/2017 Category: News
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Capitalistslave

Pro

Facts of this debate:
At about 1:30 pm pacific time, or 2 hours ago as of when this debate was written, Trump tweeted "The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!" You can see this on his twitter page here[1]

My position
My position is that Trump is hallf-right, and that more media than just those he listed are the enemy of the people, I would also name Breitbart, Fox News, infowars and others in there.
My opponent's position: My opponent would take the position that Trump is completely correct and that right-wing news media is not fake news and the enemy of the people, but only liberal news is. Or, they could take the position that none of the news is fake news or the enemy of the people. In other words, either they will argue Trump is completely wrong or completely right.

Rules of debate:
1) Be civil, no insults, ad hominem, or personal attacks
2) The total number of rounds minus 1 should be used for argument, since I am not using round 1 for argument.
3) The last round used for debate should just be rebuttals to your opponent, no new arguments here.

Source:
[1] https://twitter.com...
Mitchell_Snyder

Con

I will be taking the stance that Trump is completely wrong. I believe fake news only exists if the news site is totally and admittedly satirical, or pretending to be another news site, for instance "cnn-trending.com" is not actually a product of CNN, someone just named their site after the company. Everything else is real news even if they are wrong or opinionated about many things. When a small group of people get to choose which is fake and which is not, is when you have an enemy of the people and illegal censoring of the press for their own political gains.
Capitalistslave

Pro

My opponent seems to have used round 1 for argument, which is perfectly fine, I would just like to remind them to waive a later round(probably round 4) in order to keep the rounds used for argument even, as was said in rule 2. And by "waive" I mean just type in something into the round that doesn't pertain to argument for the debate, such as "I waive this round as agreed upon".

Contention 1: a large amount of discussion on these news sources is opinion only
If you look here, CNN is the news source, between MSNBC and FOX news, to have the least amount of opinion versus factual reporting ratio. [1] However, even for them, 46% of it is opinion, which is still significant. The other two, majority of what they offer is opinion. By definition, opinion is not news, so to call these "news" companies news companies I would argue is a misnomer at best, and a blatant lie bordering on false advertizing at worst. It would make more sense to call Fox news, Fox opinion, and MicroSoft News Broadcasting Channel, MicroSoft Opinion Broadcasting Channel. Now, while you could argue CNN could still be considered news, since majority(barely) of what they offer is news, my later contentions will bring serious question to that statement. I contend also that many other news sources offer a significant amount of opinion only as well, but I will not offer a specific source or evidence of each one, since I don't think this is something my opponent will challenge me on at this point, but I can do so if they do challenge me on this.

Contention 2: A significant amount of stories produced by these news outlets are false
Here are 25 examples of fake news put out by these news organizations, many of which from CNN, NBC, ABC, the New York Times, Fox News, MSNBC and others[2]. A couple of examples from that source, in case you can't follow the source for whatever reason, include lying about the polls in Florida closing in the 2000 election at 7 pm, which ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, NBC, and MSNBC all falsely reported on, and a false story about the CIA recruiting leading American Journalists to pass off propaganda as news reported by Washington Post, New York Times, Newsweek, and CBS. Now, let's look at the amount of factual reporting versus fake reporting by Fox News and other news outlets.
Fox News: Mixed factual reporting[3](in other words, some of what they report is true, some of it is false)
MSNBC: Mixed factual reporting[4]
Infowars: Pseudoscience and conspiracy levels are high on this channel [5]
Breitbart: Mixed factual reporting [6]
I'll stop here, but I could continue to name off more news sites like this.

Conention 3: These "news" organizations are doing a disservice to people by catering to their pre-established opinions and biases
It should be well-known that news sources like New York times, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, and others are left-wing in bias. You can check mediabiasfactcheck.com, which I've been using, to confirm that as well. It should also be well-known that news sources like Fox News, the Blaze, Breitbart and others are right-wing in bias. The fact that these stations exist and offer these biases increase the liklihood that they will be watched since people tend to want to watch what confirms their own biases. Rather than informing them of everything, they will likely report only what complies with their own view and interpret it in such a way which supports their view. This doesn't make people smarter, and in fact, it does them a huge disservice as it leaves them ignorant about a myriad of topics. If, instead, they reported on everything major, and not leave some things out, with minimal to no opinion or biases offered, this would leave people much more well-informed. Not to mention, the fake news offered by these news sources will also be a disservice to people.

Conclusion: All of these facts combined mean that the mainstream news sources are not to be trusted, and are the enemy of the people for they do a huge disservice for people. This shows that also Trump was ignoring some news sources, and there are right-wing sources just like the left-wing sources he listed which offer fake news.

Pew research and IVN(independent voter network) are some of the least biased sources for information, and their factual reporting is high, as you can check with mediabiasfactcheck as well.
[1] http://www.pewresearch.org...
[2] https://ivn.us...
[3] https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
[4] https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
[5] https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
[6] https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...

Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 1 year ago
TheUnexaminedLife
Bias in media is unavoidable. Each writer, has to write from their own perspective; all data they report off becomes mediated through them, their interests, their beliefs, how they have been constituted/raised by the society they come from. The only enemies in the media are those which seek to maintain a certain communal mentality that benefits certain groups over the majority. Say, those which seek to benefit billionaires over the proletariat by maintaining a 'laissez faire' policy of government.
Posted by dellomorgan123 1 year ago
dellomorgan123
I think that the news media might filter out some information but most of them are not fully wrong.The reason Trump is criticising the media is because they don't praise him all the time and its affecting him in a emotional and political manner.There should be a media without bias.A media where they do not favor any party. As I haven been seen in the news many people he appointed as told to resign or they get fired.And this behaviour shows a person whose craving for acceptance.This country is a great nation but in fact does need improvement.You cannot make America Great Again because it is already a great nation,you just have to make it greater.The media outlet has a job to tell people whats going on in their government and everything trump says is based on what the media says and he has limited himself to news channels such as fox news and Alex Jones. we have to ask ourselves what will the media gain by creating fake news,will they make it more presentable and more interesting?.They have no reason to change things because the things our current president does is more than enough to grab anyones attention,usually in a negative manner and which has worked for him so far.He did not provide any facts stating why the news and media is fake he just says things.So yes he might be partially right but certainly the news will never be 100% fake.