Bernabei
Oak19

Truth Does Exist

Bernabei

Pro

This is a basic argument to prove or disprove the existence of truth. I am studying more into Epistemology and am looking to have others and myself critique my philosophy as it concerns truth and the existence of knowledge.

My argument: Truth exist. Truth is what is real. If truth didn't exist, you couldn't make sense of the world or make any truth claim in themselves.
Oak19

Con

This is fascinating. I'll accept your debate.

My argument: Truth doesn't exist. The idea of truth is a delusion our mind created to try to explain an unexplainable world. Truth cannot be what is real because we have no evidence that what we are experiencing in this world is even real or not. It is possible to make sense of the world without truth. People who suffer from delusions and/or hallucinations can make sense of the world even if most people would say there beliefs are nonsensical. We all make sense of the world in different ways. Each of us believes the way we make sense of the world is the truth. If this was the case and everyone made sense of the world due to the existence of truth, then that would suggest that all people would come to the same conclusions about problems and issues we have in life. Since we have such a high diversity in what people believe is true, the right thing, the correct thing, or even what is real, then its logical to conclude that the concept of truth was only created as a way for each of our mind's to make sense of the world. In other words it would be the equilvalent of a legendary creature like medusa. Its a fun story to tell, but still just a story none the less.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely. Oak
Bernabei

Pro

Hello Oak,

If truth, or what is real, did not exist, you couldn't make the claim "Truth doesn't exist." or "The idea of truth is a delusion our mind created to try to explain an unexplained world" or any of the claims you made in your argument because they all claim truth. If truth didn't exist, you couldn't even make a statement like your friendly gesture at the beginning, "This is fascinating". Is it true that this is fascinating? If truth doesn't exist, which you support, then how can you assert this is interesting?

I agree that we perceive truth through our senses. How do we know our senses are correct? I believe it is through God and him upholding existence. The Bible claims that all knowledge comes from the father.

So really, to sum up my rebuttal here, all I have to do is ask you one question. Is anything you said above true?
If you answer yes then you loose because you admit to the existence of truth. If you answer no, then you have not provided an argument at all.

Sincerely, Anthony Bernabei.
Oak19

Con

"Is anything you said above true?"

You might as well have asked me if god was benevolent or malicious. I'd tell you that depending on the person you asked you would get a different answer. When asked this question some would respond that god was a benevolent being and then provide evidence from the bible supporting his benevolent actions. Others, would say he is a malicious being and then provide evidence from the bible to support his malicious actions. Finally, some people would respond that god does not exist and therefore he is neither benevolent nor malicious. So now I have to ask you a question.Of all the opinions I stated, which of these opinions is the truth? My answer to this is simply that none of these answers are true nor false. They just are just answers, nothing more. A person's actions being considered "true" or "false" is a perception depending on each individual. A person who is hallucinating may claim that a unicorn named sparkles lives in their bedroom. We may argue with that person and tell them that a unicorn named sparkles does not reside in their bedroom, however to the person who experiences and sees the unicorn named sparkles they believe that the existence of sparkles is real or in your words "true". This suggests that the idea of truth is just as perceptive as the idea that red is a better color then blue. A person cannot prove red is a better color, however that person will continue to believe that red is a better color anyway. You also asked if it was true that this is fascinating? My reply to this is also it depends who you ask. Fascinating is a state of mind, not really true nor false, states of minds can be misleading after all. I may not be fascinated at all, my mind may be incredibly bored for all I know. I have no idea if the senses and feelings I am experiencing are even real or accurate. I can't be 100% certain my will is my own and all I have said is my opinion or someone else's. I could be a robot being controlled through some other entity for all I know. I can not confirm nor deny this. Even the words we are using to speak may not be words or language. It's highly possible that what we believe to be language may actually just be a pile of gibberish. This would all sound like gibberish to a person who didn't speak English after all. So then you're probably wondering if we can't be sure that anything is real, then why would we assume some things are real? The answer to that is,we have no choice.We have to assume that the reality and rules of the reality we live in are real as that is the only way we can function in the society we live in. They may be real, or they may not be real however, we are stuck in this reality and therefore have to adapt to it the best we can.

That's all I got to say.

Sincerely Oak
Bernabei

Pro

Simply answer this question and I will have my victory on your nihilist a$$!

Oak, Is it true that truth is real?
Oak19

Con

"'Simply answer this question and I will have my victory on your nihilist a$$!'

'Oak, Is it true that truth is real?"

Well ok, I'll give you my answer.

yes, no, maybe, both, neither, all of the above and none of the above.

:)

That's what happens when you want me to answer an opinion question.

All of our experiences, questions, preferences, ideas, ect are opinions as any of these things can be disputed or in other words a person can doubt or disagree with them. The idea of truth is therefore an opinion, as it can be disputed. In the world we live in, we only have opinions even on the scientific issues. This is because a fact is defined as "a thing that is indisputably the case." Since everything we do and experience can be disputed by someone else, it would be impossible for anything to be considered fact as we can disagree with it. Even simple things we consider "facts" like the grass is green can be disputed by a person. Just ask a color-blind person. Especially the ones who can't see the color we call...green.:)

I think I have proved my point.

This was fun. Thank you for the debate.:)
Posted by skipsaweirdo 7 months ago
skipsaweirdo
On all vital existential questions, human beings have biases more deepset than they can begin to comprehend. The task of philosophers is not to work up fanciful idealistic rhetoric designed to appeal to hypothetical disinterested-bourgeois bipeds, but to get to know what the actual or extant preconceptions and worldviews of human beings really are, and WHY they ultimately are such as they are. It may be interesting ad hominem how and why humans might happen to presume themselves to be impartial listeners. But the truly challenging question is Nietzsche's: just how the hell did such a species ever imagine that it might want to know what "the truth" is, in the first place? Why would we presume ourselves to be at all INTERESTED in "the truth"?
Posted by Bernabei 7 months ago
Bernabei
Same same! You can hmu on facebook
Anthony Bernabei
Posted by Oak19 7 months ago
Oak19
That is understandable, you have your view of the world and I have mine. I think it's safe to say, we can agree to disagree. Also, thanks for the offer to chat. I've got to eat dinner now but I'll be around, and I might take you up on that.

have a nice day ^^
Posted by Bernabei 7 months ago
Bernabei
I am free to chat mostly anytime. I don't consider this a victory although because I don't think you are convinced, nor am I of your argument. No one won this, and I am not so sharp on my philosophy as I once was and am looking to sharpen my dull mind evermore!
Posted by Bernabei 7 months ago
Bernabei
That is very rare and noble of you man
Posted by Oak19 7 months ago
Oak19
That and I can't bare to see another person in pain.

I'd rather take the pain and live then die and have everyone else be in pain.

I'll be miserable but at least my misery will never become someone else's.
Posted by Oak19 7 months ago
Oak19
I guess I value the lives of other people.

Its the only thing I think I might value.

I don't value my own life that much if at all. However, I do value the well being of others to a degree.

Its enough for me to stay alive because I know several people would fall apart if I did commit suicide.

I've had a lot of dark times in my life.I was close to suicide and even stopped eating because I just stopped caring. I try to stay alive though at least for the sake of my family and friends. If they weren't in the picture, I probably would be dead by now. I see no reason to live besides for them.
I don't want them to be in pain.

If I stay alive then I deal with it, and they get to be happy.
Posted by Bernabei 7 months ago
Bernabei
no pointers but if you TRULY didn't value your life, you would either commit suicide, or quit eating because you would have no reason to keep living. You have to value something that keeps your life with meaning
Posted by Oak19 7 months ago
Oak19
And sure, I don't mind debating. I do see your points don't get me wrong. I just have to fight them the best I can because this is a competitive debate.
Posted by Oak19 7 months ago
Oak19
I can consider my life meaningless, that doesn't mean I consider everyone else's life to be meaningless. just my own.