Zebra03
Comeatmebruh666

Truth is stranger than fiction

Zebra03

Pro

It is strange how in fiction we can write about technology, such as hover boards and jetpacks. Which seem to be the most amazing, unrealistic and strange things in books. However, it is stranger yet that we have the ability and technology to be able to create these things. In fiction, none of the physical processes is required. It is simply an idea that has been thought of. In reality, however, there needs to be a huge amount of strange and wonderful kit required to build these things. Take for example the hover board. In fiction, it is a great idea that gives the user the ability to move around freely without walking. Although the technology to create a floating hover board does not yet exist we have got a well-known variation. To create these an entirely new set of gyroscopes had to be created. Surely these strange things that few people really, truly understand and could replicate are stranger and more wonderful than simply the idea. Therefore, the truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

There are also some incredible stories in nature that seem to be the root of quite a few fictional stories. There are many cases of eggs being laid inside a creature"s body. Once these eggs hatch they often release a chemical which forces the host animal to complete and action and release the creature into the wild. A good example of this is the fluke Euhaplorchis californiensis. It begins its life in an ocean-dwelling horn snail, where it produces larvae that then seek their next host, a killifish. Once it finds a fish, the parasite latches on to its gills and makes its way to the brain. But this isn't its final stop. The fluke needs to get inside the gut of a water bird in order to reproduce. So, inside the killifish's brain, the fluke releases chemicals that cause the fish to shimmy, jerk, and jump. This attracts the attention of water birds which then catch the fish and allow the circle to happen again. (This information is credited to national geographic). This is the root for many horror stories. Horror stories create complicated and elaborate disasters to explain the existence of the zombie creatures. Yet they already occur naturally. The truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Fiction is artificially unexpected in order to create suspense and excitement but the real world doesn"t need any artificial help. Chaos theory gives us a mathematical way to model how unpredictable and strange the world really is. It reveals how some things that might seem very simple " earth orbits the sun, or how a leaky tap drips " are in fact incredibly complex and impossible to predict. Our weather is another example of a chaotic system. No matter how well we can model the weather, and no matter how accurately we can measure the current weather, tiny errors and fluctuations are quickly amplified, making it impossible to predict the weather accurately more than two or three weeks in future. This is famously known as the "Butterfly Effect". A butterfly flapping its wings in South America could have a dramatic effect on a storm brewing in Europe two weeks later. Nothing in fiction can match how beautiful, complicated and strange the real world is.
Comeatmebruh666

Con

Thank you, for this debate Zebra, I will do my best to be as clear and objective as I can. Thus I hope you, as the instigator, will also try to refrain from emotion and remember to have fun while debating, after all there's no use in debating if everyone's miserable.

Well, first of all we have to define the word strange. The definition I'm going to be using is the google dictionary definition, "unusual or surprising; difficult to understand or explain." After that we have only two more words to define. Truth, which I think we'll both agree on, must be objective, though even then there are several different views on, if we're perceiving the world from a scientific view that means we disregard the fact that even science is erroneous if we perceive from a philosophical stand point. so I'll leave the decision to you. Now onto the last word, fictional or fiction, now I think we can also agree that fictional means something that's untrue, false or wrong. Though even then I'd like you to define what counts as fictional, as in do you think untrue or fictional opinions, religious beliefs, statements, folklore etc. count as fiction or do you think anything that is perceived false or untrue is enough to be considered untrue?

Now that I think covers round one of the debate, I wish you luck and hope you'll enjoy our debate. I hope you'll find my debating skills more than adequate for your tastes.
Zebra03

Pro

Thank you for your very polite debate. I define fiction as something that has been created. It may be a book or television show. However, i also take the stance that all fiction is based on truth. The human mind is not capable of coming up with entirely new scenarios. Take for example dreams; people say that you never see an entirely new face in them. That the only people involved are people that you have seen or meet before.

In fiction, these things (that are based on reality) are given weird and wonderful ways to describe them. Like the zombie creatures. These things are so strange that fiction writers feel the need to create complex ways of describing their existence.
Comeatmebruh666

Con

I disagree that fiction needs to have a basis in reality. For example eternity is something that doesn't exist in our universe. Yet in fiction eternal beings pop up across the board, from elves and reincarnated boars to gods and titans. The conception of something that is eternal is just out of this world and doesn't have any true example in in our universe.

Also you forgot to include your definition of truth so from now on we shall use the scientific version of truth. That everything that can be demonstrated to be true by experimentation must be true, and that every theory can be modified or disregarded if new evidence is found that contradicts the previous theory.

Once we've agreed on our premises we should move on to the real argument. First of all let us focus on the truth part. If everything demonstrable via the scientific method can be regarded as truth and all other information as false or fictional, even if based on said truth, then that must be the way to conclude something about the world around us. Now if the scientific method is the standard, that everything demonstrable is true, then we can safely regard it the normal way to find the truth and the only thing rational. Now if fiction is not demonstrable via the scientific method, which it isn't, then we can safely say that fiction is difficult to understand or explain from the view of the truth. And if you can remember that is our definition for strange, thus we can conclude that fiction is stranger than truth.
Zebra03

Pro

First of all, we do have a true example something going on for eternity. Take infinity for example. There are many version of infinity. Take for example the infinite amount of decimals between two integers. Between 1 and 2 there are the numbers 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9. But then include the next set. 1.11 and so on. There are an infinite number of numbers that go on for eternity. So that is in fact based in truth. This follows your scientific deffinition of truth.

I hope to hear you attempt to combat my first points in this last round of the debate.
Comeatmebruh666

Con

Well I thought you might enter mathematics. Funny thing that, because mathematics is not a thing that happens in nature, it's a logical process >made up< to describe numerically, or variably different logical scenarios. Sure it might be applicable to nature because of it's logical nature and the fact that it can be modified to fit to any logical scenario. Meaning that it is in essence fictitious. Also mathematics is a logical method which makes it essentially a part of philosophy not science. Yes I has been adopted by science because of it's useful applicable uses.

So I would argue it was disadvantageous for you to include mathematics.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 6 months ago
PowerPikachu21
I hope Con posts for Round 1 soon.
Posted by Zebra03 6 months ago
Zebra03
I agree. I left it to the opposition to define.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 6 months ago
PowerPikachu21
But what does "strange" mean? The debate hinges on that definition.