MilkyChocolate
phil42

Twilight Is A Terrible Book/Movie Series

phil42

MilkyChocolate

Pro

Need I say more? Why would anyone like this poor excuse for literature/cinematic adaptation?

Rules:
1) Cohesive sentences and intelligible structure
2) No fanboy/fangirlsism
3) No personal insults

Go!
phil42

Con

DEFINITIONS:
Twilight Series: A series of four vampire-themed fantasy romance novels by American author Stephanie Meyer.
Terrible: [1] exciting terror, awe or great fear [2] extremely bad; horrible
ARGUMENTS:
1) Using definition 1, I think it is safe to say that my opponents conclusion is false. I am yet to meet someone who was terrified of this series. It is full of romance and humor and is not famous for exciting any terror.
2) Using definition 2, I must use a different argument. My opponent argues that the Twilight series is a terrible series, meaning it is extremely bad, or horrible. If this series is so terrible, than it would hardly have been made into five major motion pictures that are adored by fans around the world.
3) Most teen vampire or paranormal books are hardly about real, true love. I would like you to note that Bella expressed repeatedly the desire to have sex with Edward. Edward, however, refused. This series teaches teens healthy morals
MilkyChocolate

Pro

I have obviously intended to use second definition of terrible and I'm pretty sure Con could have pulled it out of the initial context as I've also implied that it's bad. Just because it was adapted in five major motion pictures doesn't mean that it's amazing, it just goes to show that a lot of people like it for its shallow lovey-dovey background and that it has been a financial success. There are however a lot of fantastic movies that haven't received as much attention because they don't appeal to the most important age group nowadays: teenage girls. Examples of the latter: Taxi Driver, Mean Streets , Waking Life, etc.

Con also suggested that this book doesn't even have an actual purpose in her last argument, which I find surprising. I'm assuming that you're placing "Twilight" in the following category: "Most teen vampire or paranormal books are hardly about real, true love". As for teaching healthy values, I must dissent. This horrible series is but teen trash turned successful.
phil42

Con

My opponent argues: "Just because it was adapted in five major motion pictures doesn't mean that it's amazing, it just goes to show that a lot of people like it"
First, I didn't argue that it was amazing. I argued that it wasn't terrible. Second, if a lot of people like it, than it can't be excessively bad.
"Con also suggested that this book doesn't even have an actual purpose in her last argument, which I find surprising. I'm assuming that you're placing "Twilight" in the following category: "Most teen vampire or paranormal books are hardly about real, true love"."
The word "most" here was an exclusive "most." This was made clear when I explained that Twilight teaches morals.
"As for teaching healthy values, I must dissent. This horrible series is but teen trash turned successful."
I would like to point out that my opponent does not explain either why he disagrees or give proof as to why Twilight is "but teen trash turned successful."
SOURCES:
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
MilkyChocolate

Pro

The people that like it aren't excessively intelligent; in fact statistics show that it's quite the opposite. Personal experience can also attest to that matter, as a lot of acquaintances of mine that were into Twilight had unbelievably bad taste in music, movies and books.

It is teen trash because it has nothing to teach; it is simply a marketing statement, a way for the producers to make money. Love triangles aren't exactly moral, just so you know. What is the aim of this movie? Is the director trying to communicate something to us, to transmit an actual message? It's most definitely no "Citizen Kane", I'll give you that.

I have forced myself to get to the end of the movie and my stomach began to twist and turn at the sheer idiocy of this commercial junk. If it is not a story of love, then what is it? They certainly don't respect the imposing status of vampires; in fact, the movie makes them look like a bunch of sparkling fairies.

This movie was made to make money. Nothing else
phil42

Con

"The people that like it aren't excessively intelligent; in fact statistics show that it's quite the opposite. Personal experience can also attest to that matter, as a lot of acquaintances of mine that were into Twilight had unbelievably bad taste in music, movies and books."
My opponent gives no evidence to support any of these matters. Also, one cannot judge whether or not someone's taste in music, movies or books is good or bad. It's their decision. Someone else might think that your taste in those things is disgusting.
"It is teen trash because it has nothing to teach"
On the contrary, this series is full of lessons. The book "Twilight and Philosophy" delves deep into these lessons. I personally have read this book (written by college professors) and it is full of interesting ideas about the series.
My opponent states that he himself has never actually read the books, and has only sat through one movie. How can he fairly judge, then, the quality of any of these books?
SOURCES:
http://andphilosophy.com...
Posted by MilkyChocolate 3 years ago
MilkyChocolate
This was solely intended to be a joke, nothing more. I'm surprised you actually took it seriously. Heh.
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
I corrected myself to make them clear, idiocy incarnate.
Posted by phil42 3 years ago
phil42
Says the one who has corrected himself twice now.
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
Make your statement clear.
Posted by phil42 3 years ago
phil42
And was talking about the Twilight and Philosophy book. Try to pay attention.
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
-the*
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
...I said I did read the every book, kiddo. Try to pay attention.
Posted by phil42 3 years ago
phil42
Again, my arguments could go into much more detail, but I had to squeeze as much in as I cold with the limited characters. I personally am not a fan of the Twilight series, but that does not mean that they are terrible. People enrage me when they talk about how stupid the Twilight series is because ninety percent haven't read them and the others are just biased because everyone else hates them. Nobody actually think their argument through. This is unfortunately true of too many things.
caitiff, you should think again before you say that there is nothing remotely philosophical about the Twilight series. On the contrary, everything is philisophical, and you haven't read the book. I think you'd be surprised.
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
Completely no need to read it to know that it's horrible, I meant, pardon me.
Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
She proves completely no point and goes as far as attempting to be a, for lack of a better term and because Con deserves no better term, smartass in the first round. The idiocy is astounding, as even a blind chimpanzee would be able to distinguish the second definition from the first. I have read all the books from the series when I was but a wee kid and I can attest to the absolute ignorance and baffling lack of intelligence. Philosophy? Don't make me laugh, there was nothing remotely philosophical in the movie and I can wager that these so-called professors tried their utter hardest to turn a horrendous scene from that movie into a philosophical statement. In conclusion, I'd like to declare that there is absolutely no need to read the saga; it's terrible. Pure excretion of a sick mind, if you may. I am biased, but my words are true.
Vote Placed by Merrit 3 years ago
Merrit
MilkyChocolatephil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was tied. S&G goes to Pro, as Con made a few grammatical errors. Pro made arguments but never backed them up leaving them to be negated by Con. Therefore, Con wins arguments. Pro lacked sources, while Con used sources.