lillunchboxbandit
ReganFan

Twilight is a bad series

lillunchboxbandit

Pro

Twilight is bad for many reasons.

1. It doesn't really have a plot. It's mostly melodramatic scenes and Bella kissing somebody.

2. None of the characters have a personality. For example, Edward always has that dull, smug look on his face. Bella is a slut, and that's about all the personality she has.

3. Now a large amount of Twilight fans are going to confuse themselves when the movie Daybreakers comes out because it's a movie about vampires and there's a man named Edward in it.

4. Most teenage girls like twilight because of Edward. This is true, because there are girls who love Edward but know almost nothing about twilight with the exception of and I quote "Edward's in it, and he's a vampire!". These are the words of an unnamed girl who I gleefully disappointed when I said that Edward was not single. It was hilarious! XD But, I'm getting off track. Also, vampires are not sexy, nor are they shiny. Unfortunately, this series has made most people think otherwise. This is how vampires should be.
Like this. http://media.onsugar.com...
And occasionally like this. http://i192.photobucket.com...
Or maybe the classic approach. http://i192.photobucket.com...

But NOT like this. http://images.paraorkut.com...
I mean, he doesn't even kill people! Vampires are supposed to be cool, scary, or in some cases a superhero! They are supposed to turn into bats, be agile, strong, crazy, evil, and scary! Their abilities are not supposed to be sparkling, dating, running, and saving girlfriends! That is why Edward gives vampires a bad name. I mean, that is why Twilight is a bad series and is setting a bad example for vampir- CHILDREN! I meant children! When this debate is finished I will make a new one just about Edward so this debate isn't so cluttered with all of this stuff. Vote pro!!!
ReganFan

Con

It has a plot its Stephanie Meyers dream about her life and what she wanted it to be and plus she is a christian so it is automatically a good book the reason you hate the twilight book so much is because you have been taken in my the main stream liberal internet and i would suggest you read the article about it on www.conservapedia.com before you spread such slander against Edward Colliage

sources:
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

First, the character's name is Edward CULLEN.
Secondly, the author's religion should have no affect in a FICTION story.
Thirdly, I don't believe you used a single period in your argument, and to be advocating for how good a book is does not show well for someone without proper grammar.

You said there was a plot. A plot consists of an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and a resolution. Tell me where these are in the book, and I will believe you that there is a plot. Also, what character traits does Bella have besides her dependence on Edward?
ReganFan

Con

I would first like to rebuttle by saying my oppent probably didnt even watch the video because the videos on that video didnt go up i checked and i fought and died in Nam for the right not to use periods
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

If you fought and died in Vietnam, then how are you still here? Also, you still haven't proved that Twilight has a plot.
ReganFan

Con

It has a beginning middle and end that constitutes a plot
for example:
I went to the store and bought some bread. I walked home. Th bread was stale.
that is a plot it has a beginning a middle and an end say a 500 page book has no plot is ridiculous when a story i just wrote that consists of 3 sentences does
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

True, what you just said technically has a plot. But, Twilight has no real plot other than Bella's dependency on Edward. It's a trashy romance novel, but with vampires.
ReganFan

Con

Well lets provide a definition of what bad would be, I like this one:
Bad- Fails to entertain the target audience.
So who is the target audience? The answer is mainly teenage and preteen girls, and as we have seen by the success of the franchise they have been very entertained by it, so it does succeed in pleasing its target audience. Seeing as my opponent does not fall within the parallels of the target audience its similar to a middle aged man finding Barney the Dinosaur to be a "bad television show.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

That is true that it entertains those girls. But is it really a good idea to set a bad example for those twelve year old girls? For example, Bella is for some odd reason obsessed with Edward and only agreed to marry him because she wanted to have sex and she strangely wanted to become a vampire. This series is inappropriate for twelve year old girls and sets a bad example for them.
ReganFan

Con

But your debate topic was not "does twilight have a bad influence on children" it was "Twilight is a bad series" and seeing as it has been received incredibly well by the target audience it would be incorrect to refer to it as being 'bad' The target audience clearly enjoys it, and finds it entertaining meaning it is far from being 'bad',enough said

Palin/ Bachmann 2012.

And thank you my opponent.
Posted by Lydia_Rose 7 years ago
Lydia_Rose
I used to like twilight, but then it got out of hand. They waste a ton of money on merchandise that is probably going to end up in a landfill in like 5 years. Plus, almost every fangirl was flipping out whenever anyone mentioned Twilight, edward, or any name that related to the series. Plus, the guy who plays edward, Rob Pattinson, isn't that great either. I think the only characters that were even close were Alice and Emmett. The movie really sucked though. I will go to the new moon preview though, but not to enjoy it. I shall throw popcorn at the screen, and make rude comments at everything that happens in the movie. I shall also take pics of Taylor Lautner (because i must admit, he's pretty darn hot ;] and shirtless).
As for the book itself, it's one makeout session after the other, and it's not that deep in thought. Plus, the whole "I don't want to hurt humans" theme is too cliche. Also, Half of the book was about her being clumsy and uncoordinated.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
It's 9:20 here. Just got out of the shower and ate breakfast. :P
Anyways, everyone has their own opinion. It just pisses me off how all of these fangirls are like "OMG ITS EDWARD I WANNA BE A SHINY VAMPIRE TOO! :D". They probably never put much thought into the quality of the books while they were reading them and the only reason they like the books and continue to buy the movies and merchandise is because they think Edward is "cute" or "hot". I assure you they're talking about the Edward in the movie, not the books because people in a book cannot come off as attractive or hot or anything because unless it's a picture book, there is no figure to actually admire. And, the Edward in the movie is just this rugged looking actor who, as you said, probably doesn't shower or at least doesn't do anything to his hair, thus (unfortunately) making anyone with that "I'm too lazy/tired to do anything to my hair" into "Edward hair". The only other thing about the book that bothers me besides the poor quality is the fact that there is practically no blood sucking in the whole series. Maybe once or twice, but not as much as you would think. Also, Edward is not a vampire. Vampires can't run fast, and most aren't "impossibly strong" (WTF!? Grammar, people!) and they sure as hell don't sparkle in the light. Real vampires are agile, but not ridiculously fast. They are strong, but can still get creamed by a car. They actually suck blood. Where there's vampires, there isn't werewolves (except in Underworld or whatever that movie was called). Those are two separate universes and should not be put together if it can be avoided. Lastly, they burn in sunlight, not sparkle. This comment is almost done, except for these funny pictures I found! :P
http://images.cheezburger.com...
http://images.cheezburger.com...
http://images.cheezburger.com...
Posted by nonentity 7 years ago
nonentity
Thanks! My sister always says "enhanced kids don't like Twilight" haha as I said, guilty pleasure and as far as it is from "good" or "literature" I can't help but like it.

No, it is possible to "love" a character. As a person who immerses herself in a story, I would argue that the characters in that story are "real" and that is why, when talking about characters in an English class, you write in the present active tense and not as though it happened in the past past. ("Hamlet [is] a melancholic man who [is] arguably psychotic and [believes] his dead father is talking to him") I love the "idea" of the character. Most girls who "love" Rob Pattinson really love the idea of Edward Cullen. Rob Pattinson doesn't even look like he showers.

If you can't relate to a character of a story as though he/she is a real person then I don't think that's good character development!

Please forgive the way I massacred quotation marks. It's 2:30 in the morning.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
Wut? That was an impressive comment and I respect your beliefs,but you do realize that Edward is not even an actor or a real person, but a FICTIONAL CHARACTER in a shitty book? If you have a crush on the actor, then say that instead, because Edward is merely a lot of overused words.
Posted by nonentity 7 years ago
nonentity
As a 20-year-old Psychology Major who has read the Twilight series shamelessly several times (including Midnight Sun), these are my thoughts on Twilight:

The books should NEVER EVER be compared to Harry Potter EVER. Compared to the brilliance that went into composing the HP series, Twilight seems almost as though Stephenie Meyer was making it up as she went along. This is shown by the fact that she explained Edward's inability to read Bella's mind as Bella being a "human shield"--although she's tried to make excuses for this inconsistency, it really doesn't explain how Alice can see her future (because your decisions are based on your thoughts, which come from your mind) or how Jasper can manipulate her emotions (because serotonin, a neurotransmitter in your BRAIN, regulates your mood; and emotions are a result of chemical changes in your brain).

Secondly, anti-feminism. In one book, Jacob forces a kiss on Bella, completely disregarding her futile protests, and Charlie pretty much pats him on the back FOR ATTEMPTING TO RAPE HIS OWN DAUGHTER.

Third, Bella is described in Twilight as "smart". Yet she seems to get more stupid with each subsequent book, allowing Jacob to be a total d!ck while completely stepping all over Edward and disregarding his feelings completely, while he would actually kill himself for losing her.

What I hate most about the series is the fact that Steph Meyer abuses, rapes, and destroys the thesaurus, using the same phrases and words over and over until they have become totally meaningless. If I ever hear the words "irrevocably", "infinitesmally", or "liquid topaz eyes" ever again it will only be too soon.

As for the plot, the first about 20 chapters were meaningless drivel while everything important happened in the last 2. No foreshadowing of the coming dangers whatsoever. She tends to drag the storyline.

That being said, I shamefully love the Twilight series. I love Edward. My brain tells me no while my heart tells me oh yes.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
wut
Posted by Rezzealaux 7 years ago
Rezzealaux
"i fought and died in Nam for the right not to use periods"

Oh sh!t, a zombie on DDO!
Posted by chris2956 7 years ago
chris2956
... since when did fighting in nam give people rights to not have to use correct punctuation?
Posted by Volkov 7 years ago
Volkov
"So you admit that your opinion on the matter is roughly as well grounded as Reaganfan's, as you are relying on one random interpretation from a specific perspective, and so is he."

Pretty much. That is generally how opinions and arguments are formed. We find varying interpretations that make sense to us and our experiences and ideas, and then we argue over them. Ta-da!

"Define individualism."

Individualism: Belief in the primary importance of the individual and in the virtues of self-reliance and personal independence. http://www.answers.com... :) That is a definition, no?

Personally, I define individualism as the belief that the individual is of primary importance to themselves - self-interest, self-preservation, and self-worth are more important than collective interest, collective preservation and collective worth.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"I'm a very heavy individualist, R_R"
Wait.

Define individualism.

"I'm also arguing from what I've read and what I interpret of the movement, from someone else who lived through and interpreted the movement for himself... etc."
So you admit that your opinion on the matter is roughly as well grounded as Reaganfan's, as you are relying on one random interpretation from a specific perspective, and so is he.
Vote Placed by devinni01841 6 years ago
devinni01841
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by Pyromaniac 6 years ago
Pyromaniac
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by YouImpossibleChild85 7 years ago
YouImpossibleChild85
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by Kirke32 7 years ago
Kirke32
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by chris2956 7 years ago
chris2956
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by erinelizabeth 7 years ago
erinelizabeth
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by BlueNotes 7 years ago
BlueNotes
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by meganwashere 7 years ago
meganwashere
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied
Vote Placed by EvolBunny 7 years ago
EvolBunny
lillunchboxbanditReganFanTied