aresrat
jdog2016

Twilight is better than Harry Potter

jdog2016
Started: 4/8/2013 Category: Arts

aresrat

Pro

1st round is for acceptance.

I want to thank whoever accepts the challenge.

I am arguing in favor of Twilight. Whoever accepts will argue in favor of The Harry Potter series being better.
jdog2016

Con

I belive that the Harry Potter series is better that Twilight.

I look forward to this debate.
aresrat

Pro

First off, I want to examine what makes a book "good."

The book has to make the reader think. If you're just staring at the words on the paper, how can you possibly comprehend the book for what it is, or compare books and their meanings? How can you judge and critique a book if you haven't delved into its deeper meaning and the psyche of the characters? To put it quite simply, you can't.
The book must be as original as possible. I know that in today's world, it is seemingly impossible to be 100% original in the arts. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try. Originality, therefore, should also be measured in the artist's ability to take old ideas and make them knew, or as knew as possible.
The characters in the novel must struggle in an original way or have an original conflict. I think that one's self-explanatory.

Twilight betters Potter in each of these ways.

The story of Harry Potter, the boy who lived and must defeat the Dark Lord, is one that doesn't require must deep thought. And, I am going to acknowledge the fact the the Potter series was written for a younger age than the Twilight series. However, the fact of the low intellect of the series still remains.
The nicest word that can be used to describe the book's themes is stereotypical. They are the same theme's in every middle grade fantasy novel/series.
Twilight, on the other hand, presents very complex characters. And, although it is a love story, it is a
love story that makes you think of the possibilities of the character developments and psyches.
While it is not an original love, it is original in that Bella's struggle is with her humanity. For her, being human is a weakness.
For Harry, his struggle is to defeat the evil dark lord. That is not original.

Underlying argument- Twilight is better because it is more original.
jdog2016

Con

"Twilight betters Potter in each of these ways.

The nicest word that can be used to

describe the book's themes is stereotypical. They are the same theme's in every middle grade fantasy novel/series.

Underlying argument- Twilight is better because it is more original."

20 reasons Why HP is Better Than TW

1. It has a more realistic ending

2. It has a PLOT!

3. It has Subplots

4.It has several characters with depth.

5. JK is not afraid to sacrifice the good guys

6. The characters aren't one dementional

7. JK researches her material, has good use of Latin and history within her books. Spells are named after Latin words and do what the Latin words do. Names of soem characters give hints as to what that character is such as Sirius which means Dog Star for more Albus which means White.

8. You can relate Harry Potter to WWII because of similarities you could learn some history from the books.

9. Reason 8 being said some characters are loosly based off real life people Dumbledoor=Winston Churchill and VOldemort=Hitler Death eaters=Nazi's

10. Harry Potter teaches a good deal about prejudice and slavery with the use of different imaginative creatures (Which also required research to create)

11. JK wrote a whole imaginative world that goes further then her 7 books. She thought about more then writing a story but created a whole world with information that never actually made it into the books. Similar to JRR Tolkien (author who wrote Lord of the Rings, if you don't bother to read classics.)

12. Twilight WILL fad out it is a fad and many fans are on it because of the Bandwagon effect and because Robert Patterson is good looking But Harry Potter will be around forever.

13. The writing is just better.

14. Twilight is too predictable and thrown clumsily together. Harry potter is not predictable and JK Rowling ties all knots and answers all questions.

15. Harry Potter teaches good values and relationships. There are no controlling abusive relationships and the hero can go one without their partner.

16. The female characters are strong and intelligent. Hermione doesn't NEED a boyfriend to be a strong good role model for girls everywhere.

17. Harry Potter can be read by any age group. Twilight is geared more towards angst 15 year olds.

18. The characters in Harry Potter GROW, they grow with you as you read. The first books start out fairly tame but mature as you mature. I had the pleasure of growing with Harry.

19. A story about a teenage wizard facing off against a dark lord beats one about a sparkling, lovesick vampire anyday.

20. Even Rob Pattison says he hates Edward Cullen and played him like a depressed maniac.

-----I rest my case-----

aresrat

Pro

aresrat forfeited this round.
jdog2016

Con

Apparently my opponent has forfeited.....

I suppose I will just keep it simple, and list more reasons why HP is better than TW.

21. The main characters in Harry Potter have flaws.

22. The characters are not entirely evil or entirely good

23. There are clues put in the first books that will eventually have a great significance later on. (ex: in SS, Harry talked to a snake at the zoo. we always thought it was just part of being a wizard, but it reveals itself to be parseltongue which was very useful for Harry later on)

24. The villains are villains for a reason. They're not just bad without explanation. J K Rowling explained Voldemort and other Death Eaters and showed why they went bad.

25. These books initiate young people to read. I've heard of many people who didn't like reading before, but thanks to hp, they now read a lot.

26. All the details that J.K. ROWLING bothered to throw in even though a lot of people probably wouldn't notice, like the fact that the combination used to get into the ministry of magic (62442) can spell out magic on a phone.

27. The characters are lovable not because they are hot, or cool, but because of their personalities.

28. JKR has made the plot and characters so deep that when something significant happens, emotions can really be felt. Like Dobby's or Fred's death or when Harry was walking to the forest, understanding that he must die.

29. JKR doesn't repeat herself 500 times, using the same comparison EVERY SINGLE TIME. We get it Edward is hard and cold like granite; you don't need to use that analogy every time his name is mentioned.

30. you can see the characters in HP fall in love and watch as their feelings for each other grow. In Twilight Bella falls "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward in just a few weeks, without knowing anything at all about him, other than he's a hot vampire (that's like granite of course *rolls eyes*) if 2 people really were to fell "in love" that fast they would probably fall out of love even faster.
aresrat

Pro

aresrat forfeited this round.
jdog2016

Con

aresrat i'M GOING TO STAB YOU WITH HARRY POTTERS WAND!!!

SCREAMING!!!!!!
Posted by Hermione_Granger 9 months ago
Hermione_Granger
I believe that the Harry Potter series is much better that the Twilight series for many reasons. One is that Harry Potter teaches kindness, how important friends are, and how you should stay strong even in the midst of a war. It also teaches that there are many people to die for, but none to kill for. And what does Twilight teach? A woman is nothing without a man. Bella literally does nothing and lets a vampire watch her in her sleep! Also when Edward left her, she falls into a coma and depression, and jumps off a cliff so that she can see her sparkling boyfriend. Little did she know that her boyfriend is just too busy saving Cho in the Triwizard Tournament. But when the love of Hermione's life left her, did she also fall into a coma? Did she jump off a cliff just so she can hear Ron's voice again? Nuh-uh! She continued searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes! Also when Harry left Ginny, did she also do what Bella did? No! She continued Dumbledore's Army with Neville, and Luna, and she tried to steal The Sword of Gryffindor! Twilight's villains are also boring and blah! What name is more cooler, Voldemort or James? Also the Death Eaters and Voldemort himself kills both wizards and muggles for fun! That is truly evil than letting your guards do the dirty work for you! Also, one word in Harry Potter is better than the entire series of Twilight; Always. Also, Twilight fans accused J.K. Rowling of copying Twilight even if it Harry Potter is, correct me if I am wrong, 8 years before Twilight. They even said that Sirius Black is based on Jacob Black. First of all, Sirius is an animagus, not a werewolf, Remus Lupin is the werewolf, and he is named after the constellation of a dog (I think). While Jacob is a weird werewolf. Robert Pattinson actually said that he would rather play Cedric than Edward.Harry Potter's Bella can Crucio the life and death out of your Bella. Also, Bellatrix Lestrange is much, much more better, creepier, scarier, evil, and more loyal than your Victoria.
Posted by Hermione_Granger 9 months ago
Hermione_Granger
Posted by baylieboo22 3 years ago
baylieboo22
Brave, daring young wizards beats sparkling, fairy vampires any day.
Posted by Hades.Aries 3 years ago
Hades.Aries
Im with con on this one though I like both sets of books but harry is one of my faves. Now what makes me just hate your argument pro is that you are saying harry potter was made for a younger age no harry was made for a generation my whole generation grow up with harry potter, twilight was made for 15-20 girls that love that sappy written stories. You say twilight has more originality but JKR MADE A WHOLE WORLD with it's own story paralle to the normal world where as twilight has a few parts where they move with the world more so there are TONS of books on a vampire that falls in love with a human JKR take on the wizards world with hogwarts and such was new and original unlike vampires falling love who has problems with warewolfs and are hunted by other vampires for loving a human but not changing her.
Posted by IAManinja 3 years ago
IAManinja
create this "theme" again. Sorry! When it comes to words....I have no limits!!! :)
Now, then!!! I'll post again later peeps!!! But not tonight!!! I don't feel like doing it right now after all that other stuff I just typed up! Besides.....I still have some other things I need to make a point on!!!

So, until next time ladies and gentleman!!! :) Bye-bye!!! ;P
Posted by IAManinja 3 years ago
IAManinja
Okay. I really enjoy reading all sorts of debates. And I finally decided that I should join. Especially since some of these debaters tick me off. So, here I go!
@aresrat Well, I've got to hand it to you, you seem a little bit more reasonable and logical than the other guy. But I'm on the Con side, unfortunately for you.
First off, I'd like to point out to you some of the things that bug me about your argument against the "Harry Potter" series.
Well, the part where you stated that 'Twilight' betters 'Harry Potter' in the part where the "originality" shows up at, REALLY gets to me well, all of your argument, I guess sort of "GETS" to me but that's probably only because I'm a HUGE "Harry Potter" fan. Anyways (this comment is probably gonna go on for a while considering I tend to ramble on a lot), I'd like to point out to you that defeating a so called, "enemy" or a "Dark Lord" seems more realistic than struggling with your humanity. I mean, unless you're like emotionally depressed or something, than most humans don't really tend to worry about things such as being human. And I know, I know, reality and originality aren't even close to the same thing. But to me, a good book also has to be based somewhat on reality. Because a really good writer would want the readers to be able to relate to the story/plot/book (whatever you want to say). I mean, I guess some people can relate to the "love" thing, but most people have probably had situations or problems similar to that of Harry Potter's. And, no, I am NOT talking about "defeating an evil wizard/witch". I am talking about struggling with the death of a loved one, bullying issues, and/or prejudices against someone (etc.). And I'm not saying people can't relate to "Twilight". I'm not saying that at all. I'm just stating MY opinion that, I think MORE PEOPLE can relate to situations/problems that Harry Potter seems to encounter. And most authors now seem to have wandered off from this. To me, J.K. was very "original" to..
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
aresratjdog2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: SCREAMING!!!