nocorncob6
JakeBrown

Twitter should raise its character limit above 140.

nocorncob6

nocorncob6

Con

This is my first debate ever on here, so I'm new to everything.
I've heard from some people that Twitter should raise its 140 character limit to something higher, like 200 or 160 or even adding just ten characters to 150. I am arguing it should stay the same.
From looking at other debates, first rounds are for acceptance only; I have rarely seen people arguing in the first round. So I won't make any arguments now and am simply waiting for an opponent.
JakeBrown

Pro

I have accepted the challenge, and maybe it is a good match. This would be my first debate as well, and I am excited to get one under my belt.

Since I am taking the Pro side, I figure the burden of proof is on me, so I should probably make some arguments first.

1: Twitter is a social media website. It's main purpose is to connect people together and share information, be it news or personal events.
2: With only 140 characters, sharing anything above a quick statement or a link is difficult to do, especially when you consider hashtags, which help with the purpose to connect people and share information.
Final Statement: Thus Twitter can not achieve the mission it set out to do.

I await your response! Happy debating.
nocorncob6

Con

I would like to ask a question; what do you propose the limit should be?
When people go over the character limit, it's usually only by five characters or so. So I just wanted to inform you that a raise to even 150 would go a long ways.
It's a good tradition to have 140 characters. It's part of what defines what Twitter is. Twitter is famous for its 140 character limit. Changing it would ruin a tradition.
I must agree that it is often difficult to post anything more than a few short sentences on Twitter. But people still manage to post insight and have conversations. Having only 140 characters forces you to be more creative with your writing. Intelligent people with intelligent things to say can figure out how to get their message in the limit. Less intelligent people will struggle.
If you honestly need more than 140 characters, you can do things. You can post multiple tweets using the cont. word to indicate you wish to continue, or you can type up what you need to say on your phone notes, take a screen-shot, and post as a picture. I see the second one used a lot.
If that isn't good enough, there are plenty of other social media websites to use. Some people like a very small limit; not everybody enjoys reading. And there aren't many other social media websites with such a constraint.
JakeBrown

Pro

JakeBrown forfeited this round.
nocorncob6

Con

My opponent didn't respond, and that's not good. I'd like a response to my first argument.
JakeBrown

Pro

JakeBrown forfeited this round.
nocorncob6

Con

I think my opponent forgot about this debate. :(
JakeBrown

Pro

JakeBrown forfeited this round.
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
PartTimeHipster
I agree with what you said in the First Round, Con. So in a sense of irony, I'm going to tweet this debate in exactly 140 characters.
Posted by thenewkidd 2 years ago
thenewkidd
I really would like to see a reason FOR this argument.. but I hate Twitter...
So... I cannot think of any good reasons out there.. I might be back after researching the subject a bit more .. and see if any of the arguments are sound enough to present in an actual debate.

Otherwise.. good luck.
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
nocorncob6JakeBrownTied
Reasons for voting decision: It is a shame that pro forfeited because he was winning with his arguments. But, he forfeited, so I will have to give the win to con....