MassiveDump
TazM

Two Plus Two Equals Four

MassiveDump

MassiveDump

Pro

Full resolution: "In elementary level arithmetic, two plus two equals four (2+2=4)."

In honor of the sarcastic one-sided resolution everyone so adores to talk about, I stand to resolve that mathematically, two plus two equals four. Round one is for acceptance.
TazM

Con

Yes, mathematically, 2+2=4, but if you were to lip one of the twos....then 2+2=fish.
MassiveDump

Pro

First and foremost, my opponent was strictly informed that the first round was for acceptance only. Because he presented and argument in the first round, he has violated the rules of this debate. This should, however, only have an effect on the conduct point, and not the argument points. That said, let's continue.

2+2 is both greater than or equal to and less than or equal to 4.

Integers are an infinite group relating to addition. Since 2 is an integer, 2+2 must also be an integer.

Now pretend that 2 + 2 < 4. We have 2 > 0. Adding two to both sides, we get 2+2 > 0+2. Since 0 is the identity element for addition, we have 2 + 2 > 2. So 2<2+2<4. Thus, 2+2 equals three, right?

However, accrording to Fermat's Little Theorem[1], 2+2 cannot be a prime integer.

Three, however, is a prime number. So by Fermat's Little Theorem, 2+2 must be greater than or equal to 4. So now, all we have to do is prove that 2+2 is not greater than four.

Now, think of a as the solution of 2+2=a. Thus, a-2=2+0. According to Segal's Lemma[2], this cannot allow a to be greater than four.

Thus, 2+2 is less than or equal to four, and since we walready have that 2+2 is greater than or equal to four...

2+2=4.

2+2 is an integer, and "fish" is not an integer.

My opponent makes the claim that 2+2 = fish. Mathematically (as stated as the basis for the resolution), 2+2 cannot equal "fish" because 2+2, as stated, must be an integer. and "fish" is not an integer.

Thus, only a pro vote can be warranted.

[1] http://mathworld.wolfram.com...;
[2] http://www.cs.yale.edu...

TazM

Con

Two plus two does not equal four in all 4 scales of measurement. Two plus two only equal four when using the interval and ratio categories. The nominal category just names or classifies, and the ordinal scale is pretty much the same as the nominal scale, except it ranks as well. Therefore two plus two does not necessarily exist on either scale, let alone equal four. And, where laws of physics differ, 2+2 may very well equal 0.
MassiveDump

Pro

My opponent has not read the terms of my resolution, as posted in Round one. The resolution is as follows:

"In elementary level arithmetic, two plus two equals four (2+2=4)."

The key term here is "Elementary Level Arithmetic." My opponent argues that 2+2 does not equal 4 in all scales of measurement, which is completely true, and I'm not arguing against that. The only thing I am arguing is that in the math your learn in first grade, 2+2=4.

That said, my opponent has not refuted my mathematical proof in Round 2, which means I win this debate. But if that's not enough, imagine this:

The second successor of zero added to the second successor of zero will equal the fourth successor of zero.

Picture it this way: zero is nothing. We represent nothing with this symbol--- 0.

One more unit than nothing can be known as the successor of zero (or, S(0) or even better, 1.)

Following the pattern, the next unit is S(S(0) or, 2.

Essentially, all that has to be proven is that S(S(0) + S(S(0) = S(S(S(S(0). You don't need to be an expert mathematician that when you take two of the letter "S" and add them to two more of the letter "S", you get four of the letter "S."

In elementary level arithmetic, we express this as 2+2=4.

Because my opponent has disregarded my Round 2 arguments, because his new argument goes outside the terms of my resolution, and through the new reasoning I have presented, you can see that the only reasonable vote is in favor of Pro.
TazM

Con

TazM forfeited this round.
MassiveDump

Pro

Putting the forfeit aside, note that even in the rounds where my opponent didn't forfeit, he has failed to address my arguments throughout this whole debate. Thus, a Pro vote is now fully warranted.
TazM

Con

I am a female, firstly and I will admit that yes, society has taught us that 2 plus 2=4
Posted by Gubernaculum 2 years ago
Gubernaculum
Just throwing it out there, 2+2=100
Posted by MassiveDump 2 years ago
MassiveDump
I was kidding.
Posted by TazM 2 years ago
TazM
That's mean, unnecessary and unprofessional. This debate did seem a bit pointless and although I accepted the challenge, I admit, I was bored and hungry for my first debate. That comment was unnecessary.
Posted by MassiveDump 2 years ago
MassiveDump
So's ya face.
Posted by SeekinTruth 2 years ago
SeekinTruth
This 'debate' is disgraceful.
Posted by wwwwh 2 years ago
wwwwh
wait you are really debating this? wtf lol
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Ohhhh Con gotchou I'd like to see you rebut dat
Posted by MassiveDump 2 years ago
MassiveDump
*shrug*
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
This is desperate, even for you
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 2 years ago
Ameliamk1
MassiveDumpTazMTied
Reasons for voting decision: A silly debate to begin with, but Con did not comply to the rules of the debate and so forfeits.