U.S Citizens Over Use The Privilege Of Government Assistance And Welfare
Debate Rounds (3)
It was because of the government's inaction to address widespread poverty that the French Revolution, the Arab Spring, and the Cuban Revolution blossomed.
Now, more than ever, government assistance will be needed as technology will reduce the human labor force, putting millions more out of work. And what should these people do?
The claim that citizens over use government assistance and welfare is over-exaggerated when you look at the numbers, and it also assumes that the people who are using government assistance are using it in a climate of economic expansion or in an area where ample jobs are available.
According to the latest report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, they noted that almost 50% of SNAP families with children are working families, and also continued:
"Over the last two decades, large shares of SNAP households have become working households. In 1989, 42 percent of all SNAP households received cash welfare benefits and only 20 percent had earned income. By 2010, over three times as many SNAP households worked as relied solely on welfare benefits for their income.
Despite the large jump in unemployment during the recession, the share of SNAP families with earnings has continued to increase in recent years. This suggests that for a growing share of the nation's workers, having a job has not been enough to keep them out of poverty." [CBPP, 7/9/12]
But the most interesting fact is that most recipients of welfare benefits are children and senior citizens. Children can't work until they are of age, and senior citizens are unable to work because of their age. Children and senior citizens also qualify for free health care.
Senior citizens who didn't make enough for retirement, or loss their jobs through outsourcing have no choice but to apply for government assistance. It is a myth, and a very hyped-up one during political campaigns and media, that the system is being abused by lazy single mothers with children. Working-age women make up 28%, and working-age men make up 17% for a total of 45%. The rest are children and the elderly.
Job training and education may be good ideas, and sound good on the campaign trail. But if after job training and education and there are still no living wage jobs, then such endeavors are minimal at best.
Lastly, according to the U.S. Department of Labor statistics website, based on the 2012 IPIA three-Year average data report, fraud in welfare benefits accounted for only 2.67% of all cases.
So, although there is abuse in any system, the small numbers of abuse shouldn't be the catalyst to deprive millions of children and seniors from a situation they can't control, which is poverty.
Juwar74 forfeited this round.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.