Kokirian
Gaurdian_Rock

U2 is superior to every other band in the world.

Gaurdian_Rock
Started: 9/24/2013 Category: Music

Kokirian

Pro

Now, I know what you may be thinking. "Is this even debatable?" Well, no. The fact that U2 is the best band in the world is not an opinion, but pure and unadulterated truth. Surely there is no other band in the world that even comes close to U2's musical prowess, songwriting skill, live performances, religious ambiguity, and general awesomeness. The con must accept the burden of proof and provide one band that dares to contend with U2.

It's hard to condense U2's awesomeness into 8,000 characters, but I will certainly do my best. I support the resolution that U2 is superior to all other bands in the world for three main reasons, as follows: Firstly, U2 is unparalleled in songwriting, in terms of both instrumental music and lyrics. Secondly, no other band could dare to hold a candle to U2's live performances. And thirdly, the Joshua Tree. End of discussion.

Speaking to my first point, U2 is absolutely unmatched in songwriting skill. Their instrumentals are perfectly matched to each other. Bono's soaring vocals are always complemented by the Edge's edgy/atmospheric/funky/rocking guitar (depending on what era of U2's history you are listening to). Larry Mullen's drumming and Adam Clayton's bass are never too much for the song, and every feature this superb rhythm section plays is guaranteed to give you eargasms. No matter what genre of music U2 is playing (post-punk, atmospheric, funk/dance/experimental/space/disco/techno, or just plain rock), they tie up and rape any other band who tries to compete.

Not to mention their just plain beautiful lyrics. U2's songs are poetry and nothing less. If Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe had a love child, and that love child then in turn had another love child with William Shakespeare, and that child spent fifty years crafting the most elegant and beautiful poem the world has ever seen, Bono would just scribble down a quick couplet that would make it look like crayon. No other song by any band could hope to match U2's honest, soul-searching lyrics.

My second point is this: U2 has the ability to take any stadium or arena and make it instantly explode with awesomeness. And then they play the second note. Any fool can see that U2 is obviously the greatest, most confident, and most boss live band to ever grace a stage. For example:

At this point, U2 was a young band, having released only a handful of albums, receiving limited airplay outside of the UK, and having a relatively small fanbase. When they were invited to play Live Aid in 1985 with some of the biggest names in rock n' roll in front of a live audience of 72,000 and with about 1.9 million watching worldwide, U2 really had no right to be confident. "What's that?" Bono asks, leaping off the stage in the middle of their performance to nonchalantly save a girl's life, while the music doesn't even miss a beat, then hopping back on up and finishing the song. "I can't hear you over The Edge's unbelievable guitar skills."

Also, the guitarist's name is The Edge. HIS NAME IS THE EDGE. COME ON, PEOPLE. THIS BAND IS AMAZING.

And my final point is this: The Joshua Tree. That's it. There's really no need to elaborate, but for the sake of argument and being able to say that I actually spent at least 4,000 characters on this, I will.

The Joshua Tree, U2's fifth studio album, released in 1987, is the most beautiful 50 minutes of eargasm you will ever hear in your life. If you haven't listened to this album, do yourself a favor and mosey on over to this video:

And if you have listened to it, do yourself a favor and mosey on over to this video anyway:

Now, I know what you may be thinking. "Just describing one of U2's albums isn't a valid argument for their awesomeness." I understand where you're coming from, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you do yourself a favor and mosey on over to this video:

So, in conclusion, I have solidly and conclusively laid out the awesomeness of the biggest and best band in the world. The burden of proof lies on the con to find a band who can even stand in the same 50 mile radius of U2 without feeling small and ashamed and tiny-penis'd. You may feel free to look for one, but you may soon find yourself singing this refrain:

Best of luck to you.
Gaurdian_Rock

Con

This should be easy, and a nice debate to get me back in the swing of things!

There are many bands that are better than U2 but I choose to represent the one the only Pink Floyd.
1. Roger Waters the lead Lyricist of Pink Floyd is a superior composter than anyone of U2.

This is not just my mere opinion, Pink Floyds the Dark Side of The Moon is known for its amazing music and mind altering sounds, and on top of that it’s the fourth bestselling album of all time. Pink Floyd also had The Wall another masterpiece written by Waters, it is the eleventh bestselling album of all time.

2. Pink Floyd surpasses U2 at stage performances watch Waters and Gilmour perform it live, and tell me that U2 walking around the stage is better than that.

3. (Kind of mirroring my opponent here) The Dark side of the Moon

This is largely regarded as one of the most renowned and remembered rock albums of all time. TDSOTM sold 45 million copies worldwide, while the Joshua tree sold a mere 25 million.

So, in conclusion, I have solidly and conclusively laid out the awesomeness of the biggest and best band in the world.”

What are you talking about? All you did was make assumption, and announce your only personal opinion. There is no evidence here, no solid facts, and your live concert video was a total snooze. U2 can’t even compete with Pink Floyd, whose song writing and musical ability is world renown, U2 just can’t compete.

“Not to mention their just plain beautiful lyrics.

Opinion, and besides can any U2 song match Time, Money, Brick in the Wall part 2 in creativity I think not, U2 did not manage to do any of the innovative thing Pink Floyd did and as a result, there music did not captivate and audience like Pink Floyd could.

“U2 has the ability to take any stadium or arena and make it instantly explode with awesomeness.”

Instantly explode, I think not, as you will observe.

“And my final point is this: The Joshua Tree. That's it.”

Well I’ll see how this play out. :P

“The Joshua Tree, U2's fifth studio album, released in 1987, is the most beautiful 50 minutes of eargasm you will ever hear in your life.”

Opinion, no evidence to support such a claim.

So in conclusion I have not only given my points and backed them up, but also have refuted my opponents’ already weak and unfounded ones.

Vote Con!

Kokirian

Pro

I will now attack my opponent's laughably inadequate case and rebuild mine.
My opponent's points:
"1. Roger Waters the lead Lyricist of Pink Floyd is a superior composter than anyone of U2.

This is not just my mere opinion, Pink Floyds the Dark Side of The Moon is known for its amazing music and mind altering sounds, and on top of that it's the fourth bestselling album of all time. Pink Floyd also had The Wall another masterpiece written by Waters, it is the eleventh bestselling album of all time."

Actually, it is just your mere opinion. My opponent has criticized my case for being too opinionated, but at the same time, his case relies on very similar arguments. Also, I could easily make the argument that the Joshua Tree is also know for its amazing music and mind altering sounds, since it alters the mind of anyone who listens to it into thinking "Holy crap, this is awesome." And finally, saying that one album is better than another based on album sales is a weak argument. Why, you ask? Last year, Adele claimed the spot of Best-Selling Artist of 2012 with nearly 4.5 million in sales, and I daresay that one thing me and my opponent agree on is that Adele belongs nowhere near the top of the list of the best music artists.

"2. Pink Floyd surpasses U2 at stage performances watch Waters and Gilmour perform it live, and tell me that U2 walking around the stage is better than that."

Okay. U2 walking around on the stage is better than that. Unfortunately for Pink Floyd, though, U2 doesn't just walk around the stage... they dominate it. The reason U2 is such a great live act is because of the energy and raw emotion they bring to the crowd, which really shows through the music. Just listen to the crowd roar when they play the opening synthesizer notes for Where the Streets Have No Name, at any concert. For U2, it's all about the crowd. Their passion, their beautiful simplicity, and the personal connection they make with the crowd is far superior to Pink Floyd's overblown and unnecessarily complicated stage productions.

"3. (Kind of mirroring my opponent here) The Dark side of the Moon

This is largely regarded as one of the most renowned and remembered rock albums of all time. TDSOTM sold 45 million copies worldwide, while the Joshua tree sold a mere 25 million."

To reuse my argument from above, the number of album sales really doesn't reflect the true quality of the album. The true quality of the album is reflected in the music. The number of album sales is just based on the number of mindless sheep who bought an album for any number of reasons. However, the Joshua Tree received nearly flawless reviews from critics (professional judges of quality), receiving labels such as "a masterpiece" and "a landmark rock and roll album."

Now I will rebuild my own case.

1. U2 is absolutely unmatched in songwriting skill.

My opponent said: "can any U2 song match Time, Money, Brick in the Wall part 2 in creativity I think not, U2 did not manage to do any of the innovative thing Pink Floyd did and as a result, there music did not captivate and audience like Pink Floyd could."

In creativity? Absolutely. Maybe U2's instrumentals in their early days weren't quite so innovative (in their later days, they did change things up quite a little bit and made a few albums that couldn't quite be defined into one genre), but as I mentioned before, their lyrics are pure poetry. The beautiful imagery they fill their songs with is quite creative, in fact. And as I stated before, U2's music does in fact captivate audiences (just watch any concert with Where the Streets Have No Name).

2. U2 is unparalleled in live performances.

To rebuild this point would be to restate what I said while attacking my opponent's similar point, so I will simply refer to those arguments instead of writing them out again.

3. The Joshua Tree. That's it.

To my statement, "The Joshua Tree... is the most beautiful 50 minutes of eargasm you will ever hear in your life," my opponent said, "Opinion, no evidence to support such a claim." In reality, there is an abundance of evidence. Just look at every review of the album from any legitimate music critic (a professional judge of quality) and see that the album received nearly perfect reviews and was labeled a "masterpiece," among other things. Also, just listen to it. 'Nuff said.

So, in conclusion, I have refuted my opponent's laughable attacks and re-strengthened my own, proving that while Pink Floyd is indeed a quite excellent band which belongs very high on the list of the greatest bands of all time, U2 is still superior (as it is to all other bands).

Vote Pro!
Gaurdian_Rock

Con

“And finally, saying that one album is better than another based on album sales is a weak argument”

Not truly so, my opponent claims that albums sales are based on a bunch of mind altered sheep who have no real sense of what they’re buying, people buy albums because they like the music and it is critically acclaimed, like DSOTM, 45 million copies of an album is nothing to gawk at, and I fail to see my opponents reasoning behind such a foolish statement.

“My opponent has criticized my case for being too opinionated, but at the same time, his case relies on very similar arguments.”

Because your case was too opinionated, anyone with eyes can see that, I had record sales to back up my point, while you had things only opinions.

“U2 walking around on the stage is better than that. Unfortunately for Pink Floyd, though, U2 doesn't just walk around the stage... they dominate it.

More opinions? Really? It’s difficult for me to form an argument here, but if Pink Floyd isn’t good enough then Hendrix is, he didn’t just dominate the state he made the stage. Jimi is regarded by Rolling Stone as the master of stage craft.

“Last year, Adele claimed the spot of Best-Selling Artist of 2012 with nearly 4.5 million in sales, and I daresay that one thing me and my opponent agree on is that Adele belongs nowhere near the top of the list of the best music artists.”

My opponent makes no sound argument here. Adele is not as good as Pink Floyd or U2 and therefore does not have equivalent sales. Sales I find are an accurate way to judge the public’s response and how people feel about the artist.

“As I mentioned before, their lyrics are pure poetry.

Sigh, more opinions… Alright here we go, it is a fairly well-known fact that U2 had copied one of Rogers songs on the DSOTM as I will demonstrate in a comparison.

Observer U2s Walk On lyrics:

"All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break

All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind

All that you reason
All that you care

It's only time
And I'll never fill up all my mind(???)

All that you sense
All that you scheme
All you dress up
And all that you see

And now compare to Pink Floyds Eclipse:

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
Beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that’s to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

And yet, they are more poetic? Read both these lyrics, and conclude which is more beautiful, this song is considered a work of art among almost all critics.

In reality, there is an abundance of evidence. Just look at every review of the album from any legitimate music critic (a professional judge of quality) and see that the album received nearly perfect reviews and was labeled a "masterpiece," among other things.”

Can you show me an example because ill provide a review of DSOTM, and The Wall, Watch!

http://www.rollingstone.com...

http://www.rollingstone.com...

“U2 is still superior (as it is to all other bands)”

Well this may well be it, my opponent may well have dealt himself a finishing blow here. If they truly are better, than prove that they are better Jazz pianists than Dave Brubeck, that they have a better guitarist than Hendrix. Can my opponent do so, no I think not, if they are truly better then they must surpass everyone at everything. Can they do that I think not.
Whew 4,000 Characters!
Vote Con! :D

Kokirian

Pro

Kokirian forfeited this round.
Gaurdian_Rock

Con

It seems my opponent has dropped all arguements. So Vote Con!!!
Posted by ChaseDaAce 1 year ago
ChaseDaAce
Well I think it is safe to say U2 is better.
Posted by ChaseDaAce 1 year ago
ChaseDaAce
Posted by Gaurdian_Rock 3 years ago
Gaurdian_Rock
Da Pink Floyd is better.
Vote Placed by Stonewall 3 years ago
Stonewall
KokirianGaurdian_RockTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better cases could have been made on both sides. However, Pink Floyd could win on the concert alone. Furthermore, "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" are much more atmospheric, better produced, and lyrically solid albums. To be clear, I'm voting on the argument, not personal taste.