Nuevo
anna_chum

UDHR is not a useless document

anna_chum has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Nuevo

Pro

Greetings! I challenge Anne to a rematch debate for I failed to respond to hers. I want to finish this debate and I know my opponent can, too. I have this knack to unduly respond to debates because I am very busy outside this site and I apologize for it.

R1 for acceptance
R2 for opening statements
R3 for rebuttals and new arguments
R4 for conclusions, rebuttals, no new arguments allowed
anna_chum

Con

Thank you for challenging me on this controversial issue. I am more than ready to debate on the topic proposed earlier. I do believe my opponent will be on time from now on.
Nuevo

Pro

I will be arguing that the UDHR is not useless, while my opponent will prove it otherwise. The burden of proof is normative so there is no reason as to proclaim this debate as unfair. I also believe that my skilled opponent strongly believes her side and will be able to effectively argue with the resolution.

So, let us begin.
I. Purpose and Importance
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was the result of the experience of the Second World War. "With the end of that war, and the creation of the United Nations, the international community vowed never again to allow atrocities like those of that conflict happen again. World leaders decided to complement the UN Charter with a road map to guarantee the rights of every individual everywhere. The document they considered, and which would later become the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, was taken up at the first session of the General Assembly in 1946." [1] With the inception of this document, a highly monolithic safeguard is granted for people of all communities from the violation of its dignity and person. The UDHR is basically a milestone document for the ongoing creation of human rights history, that, for the first time, guided us to the most powerful movement for the people, the recognition of fundamental human rights across the globe.

II. Effects
A. Never Again
One of effects of the UDHR's birth is the promise of law and order to the international body. 'One of the main short term causes of the UDHR"s publication is the Holocaust. It presented violations against all thinkable human rights during Hitler's rule."[2]
In that note, the General Assembly wrote the UDHR to ensure that no violation of human rights would ever occur in history again. WWII was also a determining factor of the creation of UDHR. The UN ensured that the horrendous tragedy of the war will not, in any way, be reemerged again. "The large amount of discrimination toward certain races such as Jewish and Japanese citizens gave the general assembly a reason to create laws recognizing everyone as equal."[2]

B. Tying Loose Ends
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights publication gave people new hope for immigrating into the United States from the after effects of WWII. The people in Europe were still suffering from the after effects of WWII and being given their basic human rights was a greeting card to places within the UN." [2] The promise of protection and general welfare to the international community allowed the threads of foreign connection to tie itself back together, moving people to reconsider friendship and camaraderie, advancing progress and fortifying economies with different nations.

C. Equality and Protection
"It has created equality among all citizens throughout the UN and it has helped prevent future violations of human rights. The UDHR has assisted in punishing people of terrible war crimes, helped people realize what they deserve as human beings, and has helped in several lawsuits against the US government and other nation's violations of human rights" [2] We cannot simply underestimate the power of the UN in establishing order and peace among nations. An international organization will perpetually aid and uphold its duty to protect and maintain the rights of people to the uttermost of their abilities.

The UDHR, guided the people of all nations the initial idea of fixing inequality, remedied the searing trauma of the world war, and granted the protection of the people by the law.

"Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law"
- UDHR Preamble

[1]www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/
[2]807156545582367329.weebly.com/causes-and-effects.html