ViscousCouscous
GothSkunk

UK Court trials should be televised

ViscousCouscous

Pro

I don't agree with much the Americans do, but I think it's good that their courts are televised. There are a few reasons for this. One, because if there is a gross miscarriage of justice, we can see it and stand up against it. Two, the criminals can be named and shamed as it should be. I could go on but I'm going to leave it there for now. Argue away!
GothSkunk

Con

As a Canadian, I don't agree with much the Americans do either, but I do not believe it is a good thing that their courts are televised.

Granted, certain courts are televised because the primary function of television is to entertain. Court shows like The People's Court and Judge Judy exist to entertain an audience moreso than carry out the rule of Law. These television shows are an exception to the rule.

The O.J. Simpson trial was a different matter all together. I was in the 7th grade when that trial was underway, and I remember getting caught up in the whirlwind of sensationalism that it created. But now that I am an older and a wiser man, I do not believe it was a good idea to televise it. Doing so turned it into a spectacle and lessened its seriousness. Mr. Simpson was on trial for the murder of his ex wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, but his life as a star football player and movie bit-part actor made him something of an icon in the eyes of the American public, especially its black population. Because the goings-on in the courtroom were televised and reported on regularly in the news, the common citizen -- who, despite their belief otherwise -- knows little about the process of trials and the courts, and often overreacts to what they perceive as a miscarriage of justice because they simply do not know any better. When court proceedings are televised, it creates a large audience of ignorant citizens who all believe they should have a say in how the proceedings go, provided the person on trial is someone of note.
ViscousCouscous

Pro

ViscousCouscous forfeited this round.
GothSkunk

Con

GothSkunk forfeited this round.
ViscousCouscous

Pro

ViscousCouscous forfeited this round.
GothSkunk

Con

Looks like I win?