gugan91
papayarocx5

UK reapplying Capital Punishment

gugan91

Con

I believe that capital punishment should not have a future part in the UK's criminal justice system, regardless of the crime.
papayarocx5

Pro

The UK should include capital punishment in it"s Criminal Justice system, because some crimes are unacceptable, no matter what.
gugan91

Con

I would first like to point out that ALL crimes are unacceptable, hence they are against the law. So I count this as an invalid reason for argument.

My argument against capital punishment has many points.

First, the British justice system is built on rehabilitation not retribution. The death penalty offers no chance of rehabilitation.

Second, the death penalty is against European human rights laws. Bringing it into the British justice system would have a negative impact on britains relations with Europe.

Third, there is no chance of reversal, meaning if a person is wrongly convicted after the sentence has been carried out, the victim has been unjustly murdered.

I have outlined the bases of my argument against the implementation of capital punishment and look forward to my opponents response.
papayarocx5

Pro

First off, my arguments are not invalid, for some crimes are considered justified, depending on what the purpose of them was.

Now for my opposing reasons:

1st- Although the system is built on rehabilitation, that does not mean that they have to continue living that way. America for instance was built on war, but it does not necessarily continue to live that way.

2nd- I have no counter argument, but I must say that that is Britain's choice to make.

3rd- The death penalty is only put into action if the crime is worthy of receiving it. If the crime is minor as most crimes are, then the death penalty is not significant.
gugan91

Con

gugan91 forfeited this round.
papayarocx5

Pro

I am saying the same as I said last round.

Thank you for this debate.