IsmailB
Kreakin

UK universities should be made free of charge.

Kreakin

IsmailB

Pro

The UK currently fees students up to 9,000 pounds a year to go to university. I I believe this is wrong.
At the moment, secondary schools have both independant(private) sectors, in which a fee is payed, and public sectors, which are free. Therefore people from less priveleged backgrounds still have the opportunity to gain a decent education.
However this stops when it comes to higher education, as universities charge.
This denies people a good education and future purely based on thee fact that they do not have enough money, which is ridiculous. Not only is this unfair, as the student could be hard working and a model child, but it also increases the gap between rich and poo r and dissolves the middle class, a
Kreakin

Con

I would like to say however that I would like to see fees dropped but for the purpose of this debate I will play devils advocate.

My opponent has started with the proposal "UK universities should be made free of charge", however, a university cannot be free of charge, it is more accurately put as an issue of who is going to pay for the University and the education it provides to my opponent.
Pro has stated that the cost is upto nine thousand pounds per year and that it is wrong for Universities to charge this.
The evidence to support this is provided as:

"This denies people a good education and future purely based on thee fact that they do not have enough money, which is ridiculous".

However Pro has already conceded:

"Therefore people from less privileged backgrounds still have the opportunity to gain a decent education".

The statement also includes the odd supposition that without a University education some one can not have a good future. As we are all aware, many successful people have not been to University and have learned through experience on the job, take Richard Branson, John D Rockefeller, Sean Connery & Bill Gates for examples of the highly successful.

My opponent also stated that this is unfair:
"Not only is this unfair, as the student could be hard working and a model child, but it also increases the gap between rich and poor and dissolves the middle class". ( I have corrected the grammatical errors).

Pro has made no mention of the interest free student loan facility run in the UK and implies that by Universities charging a fee a "hard working and model child" may be deprived of an education and that the fee is a class barrier to education
" increases the gap between rich and poor" this is not the case. https://www.gov.uk...

Pro also implies that someone else should pay for her education which is to her benefit alone, no logical reason as to why another person should pay for it is provided.

I am not able at this point to draw a conclusion on the last part of the opening statement.
"between rich and poo r and dissolves the middle class, a"
IsmailB

Pro

IsmailB forfeited this round.
Kreakin

Con

Awaiting reply.
IsmailB

Pro

IsmailB forfeited this round.
Kreakin

Con

Please vote CON as I believe my opponent does not deserve to be awarded a draw.

Thank you!
Posted by cs2 3 years ago
cs2
There is no such thing as making a university education "free of charge." Making it "free" only means that someone else's tax dollars pays for it. That is manifestly unfair. Why should someone who has saved and invested for years in order to pay for their own children's university education have to then also pay for someone else's children to go to university? My wife and I saved and invested money and paid for our own four children to go to college, which was very expensive. Why should we now have to pay for someone else to go to college? Shouldn't it be incumbent upon the parents of other people to pay for their own children to go to school? Making university "free" simply means that you screw over someone else by making them pay to do what you failed to do yourself. Isn't that a "get out of jail free" card for someone who was either lazy or failed to plan ahead?
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
I don't know how similar the UK is to the US, where being a good enough student earns a large discount on university fees... in and case, I suggest changing the resolution to "low to no cost," as even an officially free one, is going to have costs associated with going to it.
Posted by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
I am really itchy to accept this debate but I'm anchored with two debates right now.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
IsmailBKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
IsmailBKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments, and forfeit.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
IsmailBKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had arguments and didn't forfeit.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
IsmailBKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited