ej3467273
Darklordcomp

UNSC vs Mass Effect

ej3467273
Started: 11/12/2013 Category: Games

ej3467273

Pro

Hello, I am doing this debate for the first time. I will be arguing on the side of the United Nations Space Command against the factions of Mass Effect. I will be setting some ground rules.

Post-War UNSC. Takes place after the Events of Halo 4. Mass Effect's fleets are the same as they appear in Mass Effect 1 through 2, though not had 3, in order for the full power of the Citadel to go against the UNSC. No Reapers.

I will start.

First, UNSC has superior FTL system. Due to advancements in Slipspace drives due to the studying of Forerunner tech, the UNSC is able to go at least 912 lyd, due to the UNSC now being a technological level equal to that of the Pre-War Covenant. This allows for the UNSC to effectively find Citadel worlds and systems with more ease than say, a Turian fleet, due to Turians and the factions of Mass Effect relying on Mass Relays. While Mass Relays allow for the fleets to travel thousands of light years, much faster than the UNSC, it only allows them to go toward another Mass Relay, and effectively makes sure they can conduct an offensive against the UNSC. The FTL drives on the Mass Effect ships do not allow for superior travel. It only allows for 15 light years per day, though Reaper ships can go 30, we are not counting them. The Infinity was able to complete the travel between Requiem and Earth relatively easily and within hours, if not minutes. That is all the time I have for now, so please place a response, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Darklordcomp

Con

I will accept your challenge

My main argument is that the Ships in the mass effect universe aren't like the ships in Halo. The Mass Effect ships are small and fast with better shielding and weapons, Since the weapons are laser technology and not plasma tech they burn hotter, and they travel AT light speed. Most UNSC fighters and frigates can't handle the laser tech. if you want a comparison to the tech it would be The forerunners, the Didact was able to disable the infinite by landing troops onto it and causing mass destruction. Now this is where it gets interesting, In space the Unsc's fleet would be comparable to a naval fleet that is slow but powerful, and the Fleets in ME are basically Fighter planes, since most of the ships have major shielding the only thing that could break through them would be the Mac guns, but those take forever to charge and need ALOT of power to fire.

By the time the gun fires the enemy ship would have been out of the way.

the gist of it is that Speed beats power in space.
ej3467273

Pro

The main problem with your argument is that Mass Effect ships have better weapons. That is plain false. The main weapon on a Turian dreadnought is the main gun which can fire a 20 kilogram slug at 1.2% the speed of the light, which amounts to about 38 or so kilotons. The only laser weaponry that the ships fielded by the fleets of Mass Effect are GARDIAN Systems, which will be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of missiles that the UNSC likes to use. In comparison, at the time when Reach fell, a frigates main gun could fire a 600 ton slug, 30,000 meters per second for a kiloton yield of 64 tons. That is just for a frigate. We don't know the yield for a destroyer, cruiser, the Infinity,(Though I would assume that it would be in the 50-70 megaton range for the Infinity), and that the UNSC has ODP, which can fire a 3000 ton slug at 12,000 kilometers per second, for a yield of 51.6 or so gigatons. Combine that with the fact that the UNSC can effectively assault any system and planet with ease, since they do not have to go through the mass relay systems, and that pretty much kills any advantage that the Mass Effect ships will have.

Another problem with your argument is that you would assume that only UNSC ships such as the frigate and Infinity would appear, just warships. These use MACs, but another propnent of the UNSC fleets is the Prowler. The Prowler is able to get in and out of systems easily. Examples include the Battle of Onyx, when the Dusk was the only ship left, yet destroyed a handful of ships with the Hornet Mines. Now imagine since ONI now has Prowlers that are effectively invisible. They use active camo systems that make them invisible to the naked eye easily, are hidden from all sensors,(Mostly), and can essentially set around doing nothing while collecting data on Mass Effect worlds. The only comparison is the stealth frigate such as Normandy, and they can be spotted if someone decided to look out a window.

All the time I have now, I eagerly await your response.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
ej3467273

Pro

Since my opponent has not answered, I shall await his response.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
ej3467273

Pro

ej3467273 forfeited this round.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
Posted by xxUSMCxx 3 years ago
xxUSMCxx
Your forgetting UNSC Savannah, a somewhat fast, and a powerful arsenal, sadly lost during the fall of reach, destroyed during an engagement against a Covenant Corvette called Ardent Prayer
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
ej3467273DarklordcompTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided more arguments, Con FF, and other obvious reasons.