DocORock
08tsuchiyar

US Education Requires Modernization

DocORock

Pro

Debatable point: At least one class per day, per student must be dedicated to promote non-traditional "out-of-the-box" thinking over each standardized subject. US education must be broken out of its conventional box and teaching must be taken outside of the regiment reading, writing and arithmetic structure. We should require modernizing our teaching methods in such a way that teaching compliments learning back from our students - we should teach, straightforward, that learning methods, as well, are learnable.

Opening Argument: In the United States, our modern teaching methods are void of "modern". While our society maintains a foothold on the edge of technologies and consistently reshaping its product markets to keep up with the very latest trends, we have made little advancement in the teaching methods that are utilized in our public schools. A child of the US is apt to have access to the newest exciting video game only moments after its public release. In the same era, that same child is attending classes in a public school for which the standard teaching methods were designed in the seventeenth century or earlier.

By societal design, we are what I label "linear learners", meaning we learn in a step-to-very-next-step structure. As we grow older, we are able to become "conceptional learners", which suggests that we gain the ability to apply one bit of knowledge to the concept of another "untaught" piece of information. However, this powerful ability is not cultivated, nor does it come by way of any credit to our public school systems. My belief is that we can learn to learn better, and our teaching methods should be redesigned to accommodate this empowering skill.

Education itself in the US (not the education system) needs revamping. We need to teach our teachers the many uses that can stem from the difference in "linear" to "conceptual" learning.
08tsuchiyar

Con

08tsuchiyar forfeited this round.
DocORock

Pro

I don't exactly know how to respond to a forfeit. I believe the contender concedes... Thank you, contendor - I agree, it's a sound idea.
08tsuchiyar

Con

I believe that our school systems need to take a step back to some of the old fashioned teaching methods. Going back to linear learning.

Although no one can argue with modernization, there are good ideas and bad ideas for modernization.

Recently in Washington state the public education system has shifted to a more modern aproach to math by teaching conceptual math. They do this from elementary school. This has failed and the state is now ranked as one of the lowest in the country. Teaching the modern math from a young age is not ideal. Although the modern methods should be accepted once a fundamental knowledge base is built early use of the methods have a negative impact on the learning.

I lived in Japan for 3 years and I built a great math base which has brought me through 7 years of education and allowed me to remain above my class mates in Seattle. Even within my advanced class I see fundamental problems with understanding the concepts. They have not built a strong enough base to understand the advanced concepts of math. (Calculus)

In the Far East Asian nations and India the older teaching methods are used. These techniques of memorization are extremely successful and have resulted in great success. The problem with the US education is not only the method but the students. The culture around learning does not nurture good students in America and that is our fundamental problem.
DocORock

Pro

DocORock forfeited this round.
08tsuchiyar

Con

I just don't want to carry on....even though I should....anyway, good debate. I'm sure we'll agree. lol
Posted by 08tsuchiyar 9 years ago
08tsuchiyar
Hey buddy, it's Christmas....I was busy. Yes it was wrong of me to take on this debate if I was not able to respond. I am sorry.

Don't forget I didn't respond to you....that's the only one. I answered the others.
Posted by DocORock 9 years ago
DocORock
Hey, 08: Thanks for capturing so many challenges you're unable to respond to mine. Don't try to challenge the world - you obviously can't take on that task...
Posted by DocORock 9 years ago
DocORock
CORRECTION: In second paragraph of "Opening Arugment", the phrase "conceptional learning" should be "conceptual learning".
Vote Placed by 08tsuchiyar 9 years ago
08tsuchiyar
DocORock08tsuchiyarTied
Vote Placed by robgregory 9 years ago
robgregory
DocORock08tsuchiyarTied
Vote Placed by DocORock 9 years ago
DocORock
DocORock08tsuchiyarTied
Vote Placed by WaximusMaximus 9 years ago
WaximusMaximus
DocORock08tsuchiyarTied