Tminusfour20
Kameron_Grayson

US Prison System is faulted and should be reformed asap

Tminusfour20

Pro

The prison system is not designed to help or reform anyone. The original purpose of this insititution is to rehabilitate inmates to correct them into productive members of society upon thier release from thier sentance. This is failing miserably in every way.

Kameron_Grayson

Con

Some inmates will never change. Prison is a big wake up call to a lot of people, but most of the people in prison (gang members, mentally ill people, etc.) ruin the chance for rehabilitation. They're loyal to their causes and their bad lifestyle. People harden up or change their ways in prison, however how do you fix a person who's been abandoned in almost every way possible.

Some (a ton) of prisoners are SERIOUSLY ILL and a danger to everyone else around them
However, most people that aren't like this will want to change their life. People need to be disciplined MORE in order for it to work. Prison alone scares some people outta their crimes. The people that end back in it are the ones that treat it like a game, which strengthens my point for most prison members (the people) ruining for the others.

I agree, it doesn't work, it has faults. But, it's the people and the criminals that do them are nearly irreversible.

Ever heard of that show where people were told by their families to stop their horrible lifestyle? And after saying they would and being "fixed" they ended up doing it again??

Crime is an addiction to some people.
Tminusfour20

Pro

You make a good point but every case should be dealt with individually and not lumped in to the same categories. There are children who have been victims of terrible living conditions and just a terrible life experience to begin with. Those same children are being convicted of crimes as adults and facing life sentences and 20+ year sentences. We are the only country that does that and to top it off we deny them all government help once they are released from jail. How is that helping them in anyway integrate back into society? If a 12 year old child or a 17 year old kid spends a 20+ year sentence behind bars and comes back out when they are close to 40 how are they supposed to even function? There is also no regulation behind who gets put in solitary. The system is nuts and i'd honestly prefer the death penalty on ice cold hearted criminals that can never be rehabilitated. Its more affordable that way.
Kameron_Grayson

Con

I say we make different prisons for separate crimes. I do agree that people of young ages shouldn't be forced through that, BUT people go to jail for their crimes. I think that these kids should undergo therapy or something of the sort. Most kids don't go for that long they just get what they deserved. They're taught to steal, kill, etc. at a young age. Maybe a better way to deal with them is quite frankly jail.

I once saw a video of a young adult who went to jail for this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8A85cl5w3s --- Disregard the title and listen to the story - he got what he deserved and to be honest there are thousands of kids like them

People even this young can do horrible things and juvenile detention is really different from prison.

The US does a good job at the PUNISHMENT part of prison, but I can agree with you that the system doesn't work for rehabilitating the people. Remember they used to hang people in public for just doing "witchcraft". I guess talking to them at a young age and being more strict can help them.

One more thing, it's moreso the PARENT's fault for people ending up the way they do. Those 14-17 yr olds behaved like that before they went to prison, that's why they did the crime.

Like they say
"Don't want to do the time, don't do the crime"

Will continue on next argument
Tminusfour20

Pro

You make a good point. Sorry I'm late on this. Unfortunately I don't think there is much to argue as I agree with most of your premise and you agree with a few of the important aspects of mine. I'd love to hear more viewpoints on the topic If you have any.
Kameron_Grayson

Con

Kameron_Grayson forfeited this round.
Posted by m8 2 years ago
m8
Whoops... Did I say death penalty? I meant life sentence... Oops.
Posted by m8 2 years ago
m8
@TMinusFour20:

Obviously it includes more than grounding... I was providing a satirical example of what you believe in.

I just did a five second Google search and found that the following countries have the death penalty for those under 18: Afghanistan, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, the Netherlands, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, the DPR of Korea, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Republic of Korea, Syrian-Arab Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UK, Ukraine, US, and Vietnam.

Other than those few exceptions, your statement is completely correct. (Give me credit. That took me 25 minutes to type out from a list in another tab.)
Posted by Kameron_Grayson 2 years ago
Kameron_Grayson
@m8 Interesting point there
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
@m8 Us is the only prison that does imprisonment for life for minors. Also a rough life includes a lot more than grounding. I'm talking about orphans that have been abused raped have serious mental issues that their parents refuse to address. A life of drugs violence and a culture that they cant escape and wont have the means to escape from until adulthood. Those are the kids that don't deserve to go to jail and be forgotten about through a life sentence.
Posted by m8 2 years ago
m8
So basically pro is saying that if you had a tough childhood you shouldn't be punished for your crimes, whatever they may be.

One time, when I was a kid, my parents grounded me, so I had a terrible childhood. Tomorrow I'm going to go on a murderous rampage at the mall and try to kill 10-15 people at the very least. I'm justified because I had a sad childhood.

And if you're making things up, (I.e., the US being the only country to use life imprisonment), you probably won't win this debate. There are maybe 11 countries on Earth that DON'T have life imprisonment. That's less than the amount that DO use the death penalty (21).