Debater124397
Benshapiro

US: The best country?

Debater124397

Con

Is the United States the best country ? I will be arguing that the US is not the best country and my opponent will be arguing otherwise. Use any source to get your point across. Good Luck opponent !
Benshapiro

Pro

The "best country"could mean a lot of different things. Best geographically? Best economically? Best politically?

It seems that since my opponent has failed to be specific, I could just point out one area in which the US is better than all other countries in order for the US to be technically considered the best country.

The US is the country with the highest GDP (gross domestic product) meaning that the goods and services the US produces in a year is higher than any other country in the world's GDP.
Debater124397

Con

When I say 'best' I meant overall, thought that was evident. To start the US government is a complete and total mess. Don't get me wrong, I love this country, but you have to look at the fact that their standards are completely and utterly impossible . How can you expect one president to fix what took the last president 8 years to destroy. True, this country stands for freedom and loyalty , but seriously you can't actually believe that the their isn't something wrong us. We spend more money than we make. How is that possible? Our debt is 16.74 TRILLION dollars. That's ridiculous! And 25% of that is owed to another part of the federal government itself.
The US is not the best country, their actually isn't a best country, every one has their faults. And the US is just one of those countries
Benshapiro

Pro

Well "best" in this case is subjective so it won't be evident until you define it. You said best overall but then focused your argument on our government.

The US government definitely has it's problems. Tell me which government doesn't though? The US stands on principles of freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Could you say the same for say.. China? Nope.

The nation debt is just a nominal amount. You need to look at the GDP of our country to look at our ability to repay that debt. This is called the debt/GDP ratio.

"The United States recorded a Government Debt equivalent to 101.60 percent of the countrys Gross Domestic Product in 2012. Government Debt To GDP in the United States is reported by the U.S. Bureau of Public Debt. From 1940 until 2012, the United States Government Debt To GDP averaged 60.3 Percent reaching an all time high of 121.7 " http://www.tradingeconomics.com...

"We spend more money than we make, how is that possible?"

By borrowing. The government can borrow money by raising taxes, printing more money, or engaging in the credit market by selling bonds to investors. This third option is the main way the US government prefers to raise money without taking from the private sector by not raising taxes or causing direct inflation by printing more.

" How can you expect one president to fix what took the last president 8 years to destroy."

You're claiming that Obama is not responsible for any of his failures but that they should be blamed on Bush who was president 8 years ago. This is laughable. Especially when you're complaining about the national debt. Do you have any idea how much more national debt Obama has racked by his own accord than Bush did?

"The debt of the U.S. government has increased $6.666 trillion since President Barack Obama took office on Jan. 20, 2009"
http://www.tradingeconomics.com...

"Bush was thus roughly responsible for $3.414 trillion of spending in 2009, which includes outlays for the financial bailouts enacted under his watch."
http://www.cato.org...

Also, Obama chose to continue with the war in Afghanistan, pass a universal healthcare bill costing over a trillion dollars, and extended/created numerous social programs and benefits.

"The US is not the best country, their actually isn't a best country, every one has their faults. And the US is just one of those countries"

I agree that there is no objectively best country. There does exist a subjectively best country "overall" and I'll provide reasons why I think it's the US. The US government has it's problems but so does every other government in the world.

Here are a few reasons to consider why the US might be considered the best country.
The US is the country that...

1. Invented the internet
2. owns beautiful Hawaii
3. Invented all apple products
4. Invented Wikipedia (thank you)
5. Bore Mark Twain
6. Invented youtube and google
7. Invented Facebook
8. Invented Harley davidson
9. Invented coca cola
10. Bore Hollywood
11. Invented netflix
12. Invented Disney movies
features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/02/100-great-things-about-america-part-4/

There's plenty more serious reasons why the US might be considered the best overall too

". . .when it comes to treating and curing life-threatening diseases, America is the best in the world proved in part by the fact that most of the world"s wealthy travel here for treatment."

". . . we have some of the world"s best universities, and we see Chinese government officials strive to send their children to U.S. schools at increasingly younger ages. Indeed, China sends 160,000 of their youth to American schools

"Our First Amendment, our immigrant and diverse culture, our "can-do" attitude and our entrepreneurial spirit come together to produce a nation of innovators."
http://www.forbes.com...

I'm addition to being the world's best country economically, the US has the most advanced military and produces the best athletes as well. The US is the top country in overall gold medals in the Olympics since its inception.

The US also has a history of legendary musicians such Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and more. The US is also the world's current leading country for music.

The US has a very powerful but recent history as a country only a few hundred years old . Don't get me wrong, there are many things wrong with the government in the US but you'll find that in other countries too, not just the US.

The landscape is beautiful, the country leads other countries of the world in many different categories, and the principles of freedom and liberty were the principles the US was founded on.

Overall, these are reasons to believe the US is the best country. Of course this a subjective interpretation, but I've given ample evidence to arrive at that conclusion.
Debater124397

Con

Can you really sit here and suggest that America is the best country because if the things we have ? If we're so great, then how come we're never first? We are 7th in Literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science,49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, I could go on.We lead the world in only 3 categories: the number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe Angels are real, and defense spending ( where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined) . So when you state that America is the best country , I don't know how you prove that. America used to be the best country, we stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons, we passed and vetoed laws for moral reasons. We created new things based on godly technological things that advanced us and put us ahead of the game. We cured diseases and explored the universe. We aspired to be intelligent, we didn't belittle it .America used to be a country that cared about other people and places. But now it's focused on power and greed, not those morals that our founding fathers built this country on. Yes America owns beautiful people and places but that does not compensate for it. There is absolutely no evidence to prove that America is the greatest country, but there is tons of evidence that proves it's not.
Benshapiro

Pro

"Can you really sit here and suggest that America is the best country because if the things we have ?"

I didn't suggest that America was the best because of the things that we have. I pointed out that the America has been the birth-place of many notable achievements and innovations and acts a continuing and leading source of these achievements and innovations.

"Can you really sit here and suggest that America is the best country because if the things we have ? If we're so great, then how come we're never first? We are 7th in Literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science,49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, I could go on.We lead the world in only 3 categories: the number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe Angels are real, and defense spending ( where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined) .

Your assertions are just simply false. Not based on any of the data that you've provided but by saying "... How come we're *NEVER* in first. . ." I've given ample evidence of things that the US is first in: the fact that the US has the highest GDP is just one example. That shows your statement is false.

".We lead the world in only 3 categories: . . ."

The US doesn't *ONLY* lead the world in 3 categories. I'll reference my same example that you didn't refute: the US has the highest GDP of any country. It follows that the US is, economically, the most powerful of any country in the world.

The rest of your argument is strangely similar if not plagiarized from the video script with actor Jeff Daniels.

Furthermore, you said the best "overall" so shortcomings of the US doesn't negate the resolution that US is the best country. The principles of freedom, liberty, and justice for all is what America was founded on. Some of the worlds greatest innovations were born in America. The Wright brother's leading to the inventions of the airplane, the internet, modern medicine, and many more that I've already listed.

The evidence that I've given to believe that the US is the best country (overall) far outweighs what little evidence pro brought forward as a rebuttal to this evidence. Vote con!
Posted by Benshapiro 3 years ago
Benshapiro
Oops I got pro and con mixed up. -_-
Posted by ChristOurSavior 3 years ago
ChristOurSavior
it may be good for reasons but i dislike the united states..
Posted by Benshapiro 3 years ago
Benshapiro
We've also invented the airplane and automobile too.
Posted by CaliforniaBoy1 3 years ago
CaliforniaBoy1
Yes the United States is the best country. Look at the contributions that we the great people of the United States have given to the world. We saved Europe, we saved the world from Hitler, we saved the world from a communist take over. The list goes on and on. When I go oversees, it is impossible to escape America. From Hollywood movies, to Coke, to social media outlets like Facebook and twitter, the USA has done more for the world than any other country in history. Our unmatched military might has helped rid the world of tyranny and humanitarian crisis. You hear talk about China becoming the next superpower. In what century? Maybe the 22nd century but not this century. The 21s century is the American century. You know when we should start saying China is becoming a superpower? When the world is watching Chinese movies, listening to Chinese music, wearing Chinese brand clothing, and yearning to change after the Chinese Dream. That is when we can say China is a superpower. God forever Bless the United States of America.