LLC00LWH1P
Spedman

US using military to enforce the Red Line (Syria Bio-weapons Incident)

LLC00LWH1P

Pro

While I do appreciate the current Administration's "Red Line" stance towards Syria's bio-weapons, I cannot help but think that this Line was drawn in sand. In my opinion, the Navy should have been deployed off the coast of Israel with Patriot missiles aimed at strategic locations within Syria that are key to the military. Not only would the Administration have kept its promise to punish the Syrian government, but also proved that humans rights laws are there for a reason. In addition, it was clear that the UN- the group that created the bio-weapons act that forbid them from being used in any capacity- had decided that it would not take action. I am aware that sending in UN investigators to a war zone is dangerous, but it cannot be understated that it is their job to investigate these actions. It also does not help that now, the UN is now seen as weak. What's gonna stop any other nation with bio-weapons from using them against their own or there enemies?
Spedman

Con

Just for the record I do believe that military intervention is required in a lot of events, but Syria was not one of those events. Al-Assad said that he was willing to give up his chemical weapons when the UN asked for them even though there was not enough sufficient evidence that he launched the missiles. It could have been anyone who attacked those people. My guess is on the rebels who some of which have been proved to be associated with Al-Qaeda. The Muslim Brotherhood has also supported the rebels, and they constantly attack Christians living in Muslim countries. I am not attacking Islam, but I did see a lot of news stories about Syrian rebels murdering Christians during church services. Al-Assad also agreed to peace talks with rebel leaders.
If Al-Assad was that willing to comply with the UN than there is a good chance he wasn't responsible. There was no need for military action and Syria did not need to be punished. Attacking military assets in Syria would have resulted in more needless bloodshed, further strained relations with our allies, and maybe even a war with Russia and Syria. We are probably going to war with Russia anyway because of Ukraine, but we were in no position or right to take military action against Syria.
LLC00LWH1P

Pro

LLC00LWH1P forfeited this round.
Spedman

Con

Spedman forfeited this round.
LLC00LWH1P

Pro

LLC00LWH1P forfeited this round.
Spedman

Con

Spedman forfeited this round.
LLC00LWH1P

Pro

LLC00LWH1P forfeited this round.
Spedman

Con

Spedman forfeited this round.
LLC00LWH1P

Pro

LLC00LWH1P forfeited this round.
Spedman

Con

Spedman forfeited this round.