Masterful
VerbalTrogolodyte

Ugly people should wear masks

Masterful

Pro

By ugly I mean really a.s.s ugly.

Like this guy. (This is FanboyMctroll by the way, he gave me his full name so I got this from facebook.)
http://www.debate.org...

I don't hate ugly people, I just think that face masks would Improve life for everyone. Do you really want to see an ugly a.s.s motherf**kers face while you're trying to eat you subway sandwich? *GAGS* Hell no. Make them wear masks to cover up their demented features.

I want to hear your reasons why we should have to put up with such eye sores.

-Please no Jews allowed to accept.
-Black people can accept this one.
VerbalTrogolodyte

Con

Well, Hello! Thank you for posting this debate, it seems like its going to be a fun one.
And also, I'm prefacing this with this having been my first, so, forgive errors in formatting please.

So to this statement, I pose a question. What do you define as objectively ugly? People have different tastes, someone you may consider to be the ugliest thing on the planet could be seen as the most beautiful to another. There is no objectivity here, therefore it couldn't be enforced on a large scale without some sort of large bias. Though, I'm willing to change my opinion on this.
Masterful

Pro

Hello, thanks for accepting.

Before I start my argument, I would like to point out that in society, people already wear masks daily.
You see many women cover their faces with make-up, they mask their face with foundation to hide blemishes and spots. They are to some degree wearing a mask to hide their ugliness, or, if you'd rather word it differently, they're wearing masks to appear more attractive.

Why should ugly people wear masks?

People now a days are growing increasingly concerned with how they look, it makes many people self-conscious. I aim to restore confidence back into people by making it socially acceptable to go out wearing a mask.
If it were socially acceptable to wear masks then people with self-confidence issues would improve drastically. Because these self-conscious people will no longer be self-conscious, I believe they will function better in society and improve society as a whole.
I would also make a second argument that it is unfair to have to walk down the street and get a fright by a real ugly f***er.
Have you ever eaten at a restaurant and looked across the table, only to see a half human, half pig monsteriod face staring at you, and at that moment you feel sick inside and it ruins your meal?
Because I aim to fix this issue as well.

How will we determine who is ugly enough to have to wear a mask?

Everyone will be required to sign up to a private government website and post an image of themselves online. Then, a large voluntary team will sift through the enormous amount of pictures and black list the most ugly. These ugly people will be required to purchase a mask from a local store, and be required to wear it outside of the house. Those that don't post on this website will be fined heavily.

What sort of mask should uglies wear?

We would begin with very basic masks and gradually, I believe the design will evolve.
I think much like clothing, people will begin to use these masks fashionably. It will be up to companies to design and market masks. This, I believe will create hundreds of jobs and stimulate the economy.
To begin the production of the initial, basic masks, we would have to liaise with companies to produce them.

To sum up my opening argument.

After society has accepted these uglies wearing mask, It is my hope that companies may design the masks to be attractive enough for regular people to want to wear. This way, ugly people will blend back seamlessly into society.

If my opponent disagrees with my proposal, then I would like him to propose a better solution to the "ugly epidemic" and the self confidence epidemic.

This source shows that self confidence is at an all time low.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com......

This source shows that the percentage of ugly people is quite high. It is objective of course.
http://www.returnofkings.com......
VerbalTrogolodyte

Con

Potential to mislead
------------
Now, take this whole thing from say, a romantic context. Contextually, this would imply that a lovers face can be concealed until need be to have it otherwise. In other words, people could get cat-fished without some sort of middleman (Eg. A dating website). What you seem to be proposing is that people would be required to wear masks if deemed ugly by an unrealistically large counsel, meaning, again, in this romantic context, people have no idea what they're getting into until in private.

Costs
------------
Perhaps this is one of the least key factors, however, how much would a website of this nature cost to run? See, to have this large voluntary team, full time, regulating literally every person, wouldn't be voluntary. At this point, a sort of compensation would be required, on top of this website having traffic from every person. Now, I'm assuming that you're talking about this from a country standpoint, though, even reducing it to this level would require an extreme amount of money.

Self Confidence
------------
If people were required to be evaluated by other people, wouldn't that increase anxiety in everyone, even displacing the value of beauty? (When I say this, I mean the admittedly cancerous fashion industry: "Amount spent on fashion in the U.S. each year: $250,000,000,000" http://www.statisticbrain.com... ) Additionally, you say that the masks would help with self confidence, but, again, referring to that earlier point I made, wouldn't it make people more self conscious if potentially 10's-100's of people would evaluate them on their appearance?

(This is fun! Thanks for arguing this :) )
Masterful

Pro

You State in "Potential to mislead"
"Now, take this whole thing from say, a romantic context. Contextually, this would imply that a lovers face can be concealed until need be to have it otherwise. In other words, people could get cat-fished without some sort of middleman"

This point is invalid, due to the fact that at any point you ask to see someone’s face. It's simply an effective method to see someone not for what they look like, but for who they are. Looks become meaningless if everyone wears a mask.

You State in "Cost"
"Perhaps this is one of the least key factors, however, how much would a website of this nature cost to run? See, to have this large voluntary team, full time, regulating literally every person, wouldn't be voluntary. At this point, a sort of compensation would be required, on top of this website having traffic from every person. Now, I'm assuming that you're talking about this from a country standpoint, though, even reducing it to this level would require an extreme amount of money."

Many people do charity work all the time. If people know that they'll be helping ugly people, then we will have no problem finding volunteers.
We would send leaflets through the post, doing certain regions of England at a time, this way we can reduce traffic to our website.
To set up the web site it would cost roughly $100, this is nothing. Adverts will also be run on the site to help generate income to cover other expenses.
http://webdesign.expertmarket.co.uk...

You state In "Self-Confidence"

"If people were required to be evaluated by other people, wouldn't that increase anxiety in everyone, even displacing the value of beauty?"

No. The idea of these masks is to prevent people from being evaluated by other people. People know if they're ugly or not, they will certainly accept this idea, as it will allow other people to begin to see them for who they truly are, instead of for how they look. The point if, this will end evaluation.

I believe it will make it, so that ugly people are no longer cast out of society, by wearing these masks they are no longer an eye sore and will be judged by their personalities, rather than their faces. The idea is to blend ugly people into a neutral, new look. We should campaign to make these masks socially acceptable, so that children don't pick on masked children.

It's widely known that ugly people have less opportunity the world, than more attractive people. Here are my sources for that claim.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
https://www.quora.com...;

Let us give ugly people a chance and make society judge people base on personality.
VerbalTrogolodyte

Con

Closing Argument
-------------------------

Well, congratulations. I do believe that neither of us have gained much ground here. I did quite enjoy the discussion, and, perhaps we could continue it in another venue? Anyway though, I don't really have many points to argue other than-

Assortment of arguments
------------------------------
It just hit me. The time for implementation. You said the work could be subdivided among different regions, but, even still, how would the mask creators and local shops keep up with this influx of traffic? Well, on top of that what about those who don't wish to participate in this system? You said that people should be fined on the basis of them not wishing to wear their masks! We should encourage tolerance towards ugly people rather than repression of their natural trait. While they yes may be an eyesore, you said it yourself, we should see people for their merit, not their appearance. A mask would simply hide this fact further burying it below an extra layer of superficial apparel.

But, in any event, we must let the voters decide.

To mask, or not to mask

That is our question
Posted by NDECD1441 7 months ago
NDECD1441
By the way, the winning point is we are all dealing with you. So con is a win
Posted by NDECD1441 7 months ago
NDECD1441
Ah.... wow. You should go wear a face mask. On the inside. That bigot is even uglier that the outside.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: kgbisafterme// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Because of that little imp whiteflame I'm voting again. I voted in favor of Trog cuz he did a good job defending his point and because mast defied all the rules of arguments and hauled off at minorities.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn"t explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to specifically assess arguments made by both debaters. The voter does not assess any specific points made by either side, and thus the vote is insufficient.
************************************************************************
Posted by tejretics 10 months ago
tejretics
> Whiteflame does a great job, he always manages to review a reported vote and I think that deserves a bit of admiration. It's upsetting to see someone threaten him for doing the right thing. I think we should consider removing kgbisafterme's voting privilege.

+1
Posted by Masterful 10 months ago
Masterful
Whiteflame does a great job, he always manages to review a reported vote and I think that deserves a bit of admiration. It's upsetting to see someone threaten him for doing the right thing. I think we should consider removing kgbisafterme's voting privilege.
Posted by RC-9282 10 months ago
RC-9282
Welcome to liberal America my friend.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
I'm not sure why people feel as upset as they do about vote moderation, particularly when we've been moderating this way for well over a year. It really doesn't require a thick skin to just discuss this like adults.
Posted by RC-9282 10 months ago
RC-9282
You guys have done a stunning job at managing to trigger everyone on this website it seems. Unlike most people, I have pretty thick skin, and find this pretty humorous. ^__^
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
You know that vote is going to get removed as well, right? I get that you're upset with me, but petty threats and insults aren't going to get you anywhere.
Posted by kgbisafterme 10 months ago
kgbisafterme
you are dead bro.