mongeese
oheesak

Ultimate Team War - Skyward Sword's Hyrule

mongeese

mongeese

Pro

This is Ultimate Team War. Each debater must assemble a team of five characters, and the teams will then fight to the death(ish). Since we cannot have an actual real-life battle, each debater will explain why their team is superior during this debate.

This battle takes place in Hyrule, more specifically the Hyrule of the time of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

DEFINITIONS
Team leader: One of the debaters here, i.e. me or my opponent
Team member: One of the five chosen warriors.
Team Pro: My team.
Team Con: My opponent's team.

RULES
1. This fight occurs in Skyward Sword's Hyrule, inlcuding the sky, Skyloft, the Thunderhead, all islands, and the Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru Provinces. Everything is just as destructible or movable as it would be in the game. (Trees, for example, are destructible, but houses are not.) All characters are limited by the natural bounds that appear in the game. Assume that everything is just as it was at the end of the game, just before the final saving point as Link enters the final battle. For the purpose of avoiding time-travel madness, all Gates of Time are permanently deactivated, and no Timeshift Stones may be moved beyond their original bounds.
2. All NPCs are absent, leaving only the monsters that naturally appear at this point in the game. A Loftwing is available for each human character used; while not ridden, each Loftwing will fly around the sky closest to its human.
3. When the team leader chooses a team member, he must also choose a location for that team member, which can be any specific location within the bounds of this war.
4. There will be no demi-god characters that are capable of travelling at ridiculous speeds, shattering almost any barriers in their way sustaining little damage to themselves, and wiping out anything, like Superman or Sentry, or anything more powerful than that. Nor will there be any unlimited powers that cannot be resisted.If you're in doubt, just ask.
5. Other illegal powers include time travel and mind control (taking over an opposing character), with the aforementioned exception of the Timeshift Stones.
6. Any team member must be either real or, if fictional, verifiably existent. No characters may be made up for the purpose of this debate.
7. In the case of a fictional character, the team member's abilities must be according to a specific canon chosen by the team leader.
8. Every character has only the equipment that they generally have in the specified canon, or any equipment they would use in air combat. Note that this may not include live equipment that could be counted as a separate character.
9. Team members are absolutely loyal to the team leader. All team members are still subjected to their own emotions, however.
10. The team leader may not directly participate in the competition, but may only facilitate. The role of the team leader is to explain what the team would do and why it would win against the opposing team.
11. Neither team can have a member in common. If one team leader chooses a team member, the other team cannot have that character.
12. A team wins when all members of an opposing team are dead, unconscious, or essentially unusable. Characters who cannot be dead, unconscious, or unusable are not allowed.
13. Neither debater may create new arguments and plans after Round 3; they may only create new counter-arguments and clarify old arguments. In Round 5, CON may not produce new counter-arguments, except to counter PRO's new counter-arguments or clarifications.
14. The winning team automatically receives Arguments and Sources. Conduct, in addition to regular things, goes to the person who follows the rules most effectively. Please remember this rule.

Round 1: Rule specifications; PRO has informed Maikuru of his five chosen team members, as well as their locations. CON chooses five team members as well, and informs Maikuru. If there are no matches in team members, CON posts those five team members, as well as their locations. Otherwise, he chooses a substitute team member.

Round 2: PRO unveils his five team members and their positions, then proceeds to explain how his team would win. CON then responds with a counter-strategy.

Round 3, 4, 5: Arguments and rebuttals. No new plans may be made after Round 3. CON may not present any new arguments during round 5, since PRO has no chance to rebut them.

Oh, and thanks to MTGandP for coming up with the entire concept of Ultimate Team War, and to Maikuru for agreeing to be the mediator!
oheesak

Con

I accept your challenge and have sent Maikuru my list although I have no way of being certain that you and Maikuru are not working together. May the best team win.
mongeese

Pro

My team:
Link, Hero of Legend (Skyward Sword), equipped completely with pre-battle equipment (Hylian Shield, five bottles of Guardian Potion +, a Potion Medal, a Large Quiver, and a Large Bomb Bag), standing in front of the first Bird Statue in the Sacred Grounds
Demon Lord Ghirahim (Skyward Sword) (normal form), standing on Blue-Eyes' head
http://zelda.wikia.com...
Harry Potter (book series, epilogue of Deathly Hallows), standing next to Ghirahim
http://harrypotter.wikia.com...
Mewtwo (Mewtwo Strikes Back movie), floating above all three of them in a psychic bubble
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Yu-Gi-Oh! anime), flying twenty feet above Skyloft's highest point
http://yugioh.wikia.com...

My opponent's team:
Chuck Norris
Goku
Jesus
God
Bruce Lee
As my opponent failed to specify where his team members start, they shall all start in Skyloft, on the roof of the Knight Academy.

First, I would like to challenge the validity of most of my opponent's team. Rule #4 excludes demi-god characters and any characters more powerful than that. God and Jesus would most certainly apply, as would Goku; in fact, when Logical-Master wrote up the rules for his LM Classic tournament, banning the most powerful characters, he specifically banned any characters deemed to be gods and any characters from Dragon Ball Z [1]. This tournament still allowed Superman and Sentry, who are banned in this debate, to fight. Clearly, God, Jesus, and Goku are too powerful by Rule #4, and thus may not participate in this fight, automatically disqualified.

Now, to the fighting...

The Blue-Eyes White Dragon flies over to Skyloft and uses a White Lightning attack to destroy both Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. Should this fail, Harry Potter apparates onto the rooftop out of their reach and strikes each of then with the Avada Kedavra curse, killing them. Ghirahim draws barriers around the entire rooftop, preventing Lee and Norris from escaping, making the fight easier. Mewtwo, catching up, uses Psychic to throw the two at each other repeatedly, knocking them unconscious.

Link uses the Bird Statue to fly into the air, and then rides his Loftwing to the fight, landing on Blue-Eyes. After drinking a Guardian Potion +, he uses his Sacred Bow to eliminate both fighters.

This battle goes to Team Pro, easily.

1. http://www.debate.org...
mongeese

Pro

And that's that.

Vote Pro!
mongeese

Pro

Thusly, Team Pro has destroyed Team Con.

Vote Pro!
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
You could always start a debate in such a location yourself.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
Ahh, OK, I understand the demi-god thing more now. It simply is blatantly obvious over-the-top characters.

However, the mapchoice would still be irritating to me personally. If it was somewhere that was simple e.g. a plain or somewhere easily described e.g. London, NYC, Tokyo, etc., then it would be a little easier.
Posted by oheesak 5 years ago
oheesak
Thank you guys. I respect your honesty. Thanks Maikuru, I don't think that will be necessary
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Mongeese and I are not in cahoots. I simply enjoy these debates. If requested, I can take a screenshot of mongeese's message to me detailing his team (once both teams are submitted).
Posted by oheesak 5 years ago
oheesak
Thank you mongeese.
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
"Round 1: Rule specifications; PRO has informed Maikuru of his five chosen team members, as well as their locations. CON chooses five team members as well, and informs Maikuru. If there are no matches in team members, CON posts those five team members, as well as their locations. Otherwise, he chooses a substitute team member."

You're supposed to wait until Maikuru verifies that there are no duplicates on our teams, then post your complete team. Now I'll just wait until Maikuru verifies that there are no duplicates, then post my second round with both of our teams and my plans. My activity on Thursday will be severely limited, so if this does not happen by Wednesday morning, I will simply post my team and whatever team members that you happen to have that aren't duplicates; if this means that you don't get a full team, then so be it.

Also, I can assure you that Maikuru and I are not working together. I have submitted my team to him and will not change it under any circumstances, and he will report all things submitted to him truthfully; I have no doubt of that at all.
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
Upon further research, I can confirm that both Captain America and Daredevil would also be acceptable team members.
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
http://filemanager.linkshideaway.com...

There's the most basic map, including both Skyloft and the ground. You can research more about the Faron, Lanayru, and Eldin Provinces, as well as more islands in the sky and the Thunderhead, here:
http://zelda.wikia.com...
Posted by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
Can I get a link to a map?
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
Sure, all characters are welcome.

The setting is chosen so that there's a clear and established map. Plot details won't affect anything.

The character restrictions are intended to stop instant victory. I'll have to read up on your examples, but Catwoman sounds fine, on par with Batman instead of Superman. Super speed or super strength or high defense are fine, but if they're mixed together, you get nigh-unbeatable Superman.
Vote Placed by Yep 5 years ago
Yep
mongeeseoheesakTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 5 years ago
lannan13
mongeeseoheesakTied
Vote Placed by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
mongeeseoheesakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
mongeeseoheesakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con.