Wallstreetatheist
debateangel01

Ultimate should be added to the Summer Olympics.

Wallstreetatheist
Started: 8/3/2012 Category: Sports

Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Resolution: Ultimate should be added to the Summer olympics.

Rules:
(1) Debater must have typing experience and internet access.
(2) Place your arguments and sources inside the debate
(3) Structure the debate in a readable, coherent fashion.
(4) No semantics, trolling, or lawyering.
(5) Must insert one witty quote per round.

Rounds:
(1) Acceptance + Internet High Five
(2) Main Argument
(3) Rebuttal to opponent's main argument
(4) Response to rebuttal + closing arguments + voting issues (one paragraph)

"When a ball dreams, it dreams it’s a frisbee." -Stancil Johnson

Definitions:
Ultimate: a non-contact team sport played with a flying disc. See: tinyurl.com/ultimatedebate

Burden of Proof:
The burden of proof will be shared. We both must provide adequate justification for our sides. This resolution will chiefly delve into the characteristics of the sport that would or would not make it a wholesome addition to the Olympics. Assume the 75 country threshhold has been attained.

By accepting this debate you accept the rules, definitions, and BOP. I accept this debate which I have thusly created and challenge those of rhetorical wizardry to a verbal duel. With my hand elevated and ready for forearm pronation, I slap yours in a ritualistic manner. Good luck to whomever accepts, and may the Gods smile upon you during this debate.

Kittens!
debateangel01

Con

I very much disagree because satistics show that average ultimate players only play up to 25 times per year. Other sports that are in the olympics like, Football which is played about 256 times a year also known as 16 times a week for 16 week in the nfl . There are 2,460 basketball games a year the majority of the games here are exciting and amazing. It also gives you this firey feeling that cannot seem to be exstingiushed. Why would any one try to ruin that by playing this unpopular, boring, and useless game. ( NO OFFENSE TO ANY ULTIMATE PLAYERS )

http://wiki.answers.com...

please dont be too judgemental this is my first online debate
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I ask that she repost her arguments in round 2, as round 1 is for acceptance, not arguments. Do not count arguments made in round 1.

Ultimate embodies the spirit of the Olympics

In the Olympic Charter, there are seven listed "Fundamental Principles of Olympism," which are consonant with principles in the sport of Ultimate:

1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.

Ultimate related 1: Stemming from the hippie counter-culture in the 1960’s, Ultimate became known as a fun, laid-back sport that stressed acceptance and good vibes. Now that it is highly competitive, play has become more intense, but it has not lost touch with its simple philosophy of treating other players ethically and calling one’s own fouls. It is common in Ultimate games to find players applauding the great effort made by their opponents in executing a magnificent play.

2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development
of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the
preservation of human dignity.

Ultimate related 2: Ultimate is, more than most every sport, concerned with peacefulness between players and recognizing human dignity. Taunting, trash talking, and fighting are three things you will not find at a game of Ultimate. Players resolve disagreements on calls themselves, which through argumentation ethics, presupposes the dignity each involved player.

4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of
practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which
requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.

Ultimate related 4: Ultimate players invite n00bs, women, different ethnicities, cultures, creeds, religions, etc to play in a game of mutual friendship. There is no discrimination. This point is very strongly related to Ultimate in that the latter has a main principle of play called Spirit of the Game, i.e. the underlying principle of sportsmanship inherent in all aspects of the sport of Ultimate that places the responsibility for fair play on the player.

6. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,
religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic
Movement.

Ultimate players invite n00bs, women, different ethnicities, cultures, creeds, religions, etc to play in a game of mutual friendship. There is no discrimination. Ultimate is dully compatible and promoting of the olympic spirit in this regard.

[1. http://www.olympic.org...]
[2. http://www.squidoo.com...]

Ultimate is a good sport

UPA writes,

Combining the non-stop movement and athletic endurance of soccer with the aerial passing skills of football, a game of Ultimate is played by two seven-player squads with a high-tech plastic disc on a field similar to football. The object of the game is to score by catching a pass in the opponent’s end zone. A player must stop running while in possession of the disc, but may pivot and pass to any of the other receivers on the field. Ultimate is a transition game in which players move quickly from offense to defense on turnovers that occur with a dropped pass, an interception, a pass out of bounds, or when a player is caught holding the disc for more than ten seconds. Ultimate is governed by Spirit of the Game™, a tradition of sportsmanship that places the responsibility for fair play on the players rather than referees. Ultimate is played in more than 42 countries by hundreds of thousands of men and women, girls and boys.

[3. http://www.usaultimate.org...]

debateangel01

Con

debateangel01 forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

My opponent forfeited the last round, so I ask for conduct points in this debate.

My opponent asked a question. but she terminated the sentence with a period, so I ask for spelling and grammar points.

I presented the only argument in the debate rounds so far, so I ask for arguments points.

My sources are clearly better. I ask you to click on my opponent's source; yeah, it goes to wiki answers home page, so I ask for sources points.

Vote Pro on everything.
debateangel01

Con

debateangel01 forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

My opponent forfeited the last two rounds, so I ask for conduct points in this debate.

Vote Pro on everything.
debateangel01

Con

debateangel01 forfeited this round.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
lmao, oneydustypelty, I've had much more stupid RFDs on my debates.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
@1dustpelt: I did that because Wallstreetatheist posted the link to this debate one hundred times in one post in the "Post Unvoted and Forfeited Debates Here to Vote" thread.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Seriously WTF Ron Paul on the conduct point!
Posted by WMdebate 4 years ago
WMdebate
I should have taken this one... :-(
Posted by WMdebate 4 years ago
WMdebate
Oh snap, it's ON!
Posted by buckIPDA 4 years ago
buckIPDA
Rule #5 = yus.
Posted by WMdebate 4 years ago
WMdebate
Heh, I never thought of it like that... I guess you're right.
Posted by BennyW 4 years ago
BennyW
I was actually just thinking this myself, although I have some reservations about it being an olympic sport, not enough for me to argue con.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
False, when you do a regular push with good form, you are lifting 56% of your body weight. For a pushup to push 160 pounds, the individual would have to weigh 286 pounds. Your argument has been negated.
http://cwanamaker.hubpages.com...
Posted by WMdebate 4 years ago
WMdebate
You can bench your body weight... so, basically you can do a push up is what you're saying... :-)
Vote Placed by buckIPDA 4 years ago
buckIPDA
Wallstreetatheistdebateangel01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: :B
Vote Placed by carpediem 4 years ago
carpediem
Wallstreetatheistdebateangel01Tied
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Wallstreetatheistdebateangel01Tied
Vote Placed by Magicr 4 years ago
Magicr
Wallstreetatheistdebateangel01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and thus dropped Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Wallstreetatheistdebateangel01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to pro because he was the only one to present them. Conduct to con because pro posted the link to this debate 100 times in one forum post in the PUaFDH thread.