godsend221
Theatheistprophet

Unborn children should be considered human life regardless of growth stage

godsend221

Pro

My position is that unborn chilren are human life regardless of growth stage in the mother's womb.
Theatheistprophet

Con

I will be debating con. My position: a fetus is not a child.
Bring forth thy argument, good sir.
godsend221

Pro

When a sperm and egg cell combine the organism, in this case a human child, begins growing from it's initial state of being cells to become a fully developed baby. Regardless of the growth state it is still a human being because it carries the DNA unique to humans and is undergoing development which continues even after the child is born. It is a human life.
Theatheistprophet

Con

Let's just get one thing straight; stop referring to a fetus as an unborn child. We do not refer to seeds as ungrown trees. We do not refer to plywood and nails as an unconstructed house.

You claim that "unborn children" are human life regardless of growth stage... well that's just a fact. A fetus is a human fetus throughout development. I'm not claiming that during the first stages of development, a human fetus is actually a horse fetus.

I'm assuming your thought process is as follows: a fetus is human, human life is sacred, therefore abortion is wrong. I will base my argument on this assumption.

1. A fetus is not an individual human life

Although a fetus does contain the DNA coding of humans, this does not constitute a human life. Yes, it is human. Biologically speaking, it is alive. This does not mean it is a human life. A fetus is only the potential for a human life, and this does not make it sacred. If I point to a female and male's genitals and say, "you guys have the potential for a human life," I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a black eye. My point is, aborting the potential for life is not the same as ending a human life.
godsend221

Pro

If a fetus is human then why is it incorrect to call it an unborn human child? You've conceded that it is human, it's obviously unborn, and it's not a fully formed baby yet therefore it can be called a child since "child" is a common term to refer to a being from it's conception to adulthood. You're contradicting yourself by saying something is alive but isn't "life". Your analogy of a seed is actually a good one because when a seed begins to sprout, the first appearings of growth is undergroun most of the time, you can't see it but just because it's not fully developed yet doesn't mean it isn't life, it's just not life at a fully developed stage in growth. Most of the characteristics of life (Growth, Adaptation, Homestasis, metabolism, response to stimuli, Organization, Reproduction) is going on during pregnancy and as the child continues to grow, it can show more characteristics of being "life". It's incorrect to not refer to the child as life just because it's not fully grown. We know it has the potential to be fully grown which is often considered "life".

While biologists think they own the issue of what is life and what isn't life (no disrespect to them here but there is enough arrogance to go around in this field) we must realize that the characteristics are limited by what we have already seen. We may be on the brink of an extrordinary evolutionary metamorphosis which may forever alter our view of life and thus render our current knowledge meaningless. So let's not act like scientists have solved the mystery of life here. Scientists need to be open to new ideas (even from outside the scientific academia) and not so bound to existing theory. How can you discover anything new if you're constantly clinging to the philosophies of the past? The most important scientific discoveries call into question the fundamental theories that have been established and accepted by the scientific community. The issue of life is not just a scientific issue, it's philosphical, spiritual, moral, etc. encompassing many differnet fields because it's a fundamental debate about our existence. Scientists should not shut other people out for having a differeing view, they should be welcoming them if they are true unbiased scientists.

My belief on the subject of Abortion is irrelevant to this debate.

It is correct to call a fetus a "human child in the fetus stage of development". There cannot be any refuting that because there technically is no real definition of life. "Child" is just a common term used to describe humans before adulthood so that term can apply to any part of existence from conception to adulthood (whenver that is according to the person's culture). I haven't heard any reason why unborn children SHOULD NOT be considered life which is just another reason why scientists should not be so closed minded on this issue.
Theatheistprophet

Con

Theatheistprophet forfeited this round.
godsend221

Pro

godsend221 forfeited this round.
Theatheistprophet

Con

Theatheistprophet forfeited this round.
godsend221

Pro

godsend221 forfeited this round.
Theatheistprophet

Con

Theatheistprophet forfeited this round.
Posted by Zac101 3 years ago
Zac101
My position is clear- Life is life.
Posted by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
No disrespect, but the definition "The offspring of homo sapiens." means a child already has been born so if I took the debate now you would lose on definitions. Care to change it or should I accept?
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Apology noted.
Have fun.
Posted by godsend221 3 years ago
godsend221
My apologies for calling you a chicken. That was out of line. I'm not changing the debate rounds..
Posted by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
I'll take it if no one takes it in 5 hours.
Posted by godsend221 3 years ago
godsend221
Either accept the debate or move on. What about that do you not understand?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
There's no need doubting my courage and insulting me publicly only because I have other issues at hand.
If you don't want to debate me, that's fine, but I see no reason to insult me as "chicken".

Care to apologize?
Posted by godsend221 3 years ago
godsend221
No I'm not changing the number of rounds.
Posted by godsend221 3 years ago
godsend221
The offspring of homo sapiens.
Posted by Geogeer 3 years ago
Geogeer
Go Pro!